Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

After many years riding Ducatis and frequently checking this forum for ST wisdom, I discovered I never became a member, can you believe it?

Like many here I do my own maintenance and light repairs (usually I won't do stuff that requires specialized factory tools, ends up being cheaper have the dealer do it), so this forum is a great source for collective tech knowledge.

I've been riding motorcycles since when I was six, I'm much older now... Bought my first Ducati, a silver ST3, in 2006, a year later. my wife bought her graphite/red 2002 Monster 750 ie. We still own both bikes, but since the birth of our son in 2008 we have been riding much less.

(See picture below of the two bikes - I'll add more recent pictures in the future)

We have recently moved to Seattle after three years overseas, in the meantime the bikes were in storage. The moving company delivered the bikes to us late last year but sadly, they didn't know how to work with motorcycles and they've damaged both of them, more the ST3 than the Monster.

We're still fighting the movers' insurance, but in the meantime I've spent the last couple months getting both bikes back to street legal condition by doing all the mechanic repairs either out of pocket or by myself, the paint damage and body work will have to wait. Ive already put new batteries, replaced all the fluids on both bikes and done maintenance to get them back from four years in storage, the last part I ordered for the ST should be arriving later this week, so I look forward to finishing it this coming weekend (the Monster is ready). I look forward to enjoying the great Pacific Northwest this Summer.

If any of you lives in the Seattle area, please let me know if group activities, I look forward to connecting with fellow riders.

I hope I'll see you around!

·
Administrator
12,901 Posts
Hi and welcome to Ducati.ms. :)

Super glad to have you hear and of course that you ride an ST.

Reactions: pmaggiani

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Welcome to the PNW.

The only way to get anything important moved by a basic moving company or general freight hauler is to build a box that they can crash into with their forklifts, drop from a few feet and set much heavier things on top of. If you are not willing to do that, a specialty mover that has been doing motorcycles for a long time is a better bet.

I like that your wife's gloves match her Monster wheels. Proper accessorizing is important.

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
992 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Reactions: pmaggiani

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the PNW.

The only way to get anything important moved by a basic moving company or general freight hauler is to build a box that they can crash into with their forklifts, drop from a few feet and set much heavier things on top of. If you are not willing to do that, a specialty mover that has been doing motorcycles for a long time is a better bet.

I like that your wife's gloves match her Monster wheels. Proper accessorizing is important.

Hi jahjah, thanks for the welcome!

In retrospective, it was a mistake to let the movers handle the bikes without me being there to supervise them. I wish I rode the bikes the 2,000 miles from Dallas...

They tied them by the mirrors and turn signals which of course snapped / broke and both bikes were dropped, the ST suffered more because of the weight and the fairing. The right handlebar cracked with the fall. The more I work on the bike the more stuff I find: a couple weeks ago taking down the fairing for an oil change I found that the front cilinder exhaust valve cover is broken at the point holding the front fairing piece (not sure how that happened, probably when the fairing took the hit?), apparently the geniuses then lifted the bike by the plastic side covers snapping them off, and in the process they put scratches to every plastic part and a rope burn on the stock seat.

The irony is that all my tie-downs and my canyon dancer handlebar tie we're ON TOP OF THE BIKES ready for the move! (Hey, I assumed they were professionals!) They took them, took the bike covers off and put it all in a box, then rope-tied the bikes, no protection... They took more care with the washer machine than with the bikes.

Here you can see the end result...

https://goo.gl/photos/eyvZQhizL7wTBP7t5

But the washer and dryer machines didn't suffer a single scratch...

Back to the bikes, I've replaced the mirrors, handlebar and turn signals to get the bikes on the road, and I've already ordered the ST's front cilinder exhaust valve cover to make sure the fairing is firm into place.

I had to purge the fuel systems clean the tanks, replace fuel hoses, filters and in the case of the Monster, disassemble and clean the fuel pump.

I'm asking for replacement of all the damaged fairing parts, but in the meantime I've glued / fixed them to be mechanically solid and kind of covered the scratches with silver paint just to make them less obvious (it's not perfect...) Buffed what I could and while not perfect as it was, it's probably better than 90% of the bikes out there.

Oh well...the important thing is that they're running again...

PM
Welcome to the PNW.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts