Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a "returning rider" having not owned a bike in almost 30 years. Earlier this year I fell in love with the looks and vibe of the GT1000.

As a kid I always wanted a Ducati but, of course, could never afford one. In my 40s now the GT seems perfect in that I still get the Ducati feel but I can sit up straight ;)

Anyways, mine is an 2007. I got with 8k miles, Termis, ECU remap, oberon clutch slave and seemingly most maintenance had been deferred.. The brake and clutch fluids looked like maple syrup when I got it!

Relief came after getting the 8k desmo service with belts and the mechanic giving it two big healthy thumbs up.

There are two, oft-asked I know, questions I'm still trying to sort out. 1) suspension upgrades and 2) steering damper.

1) For suspension, I am going to replace the fork oil and I'm wondering if just upgrading the springs is a "must have" (I weigh about 215lb (98kg). I see a lot of posts here suggesting at my weight the front end will just cave. I do fell like the front end dives really hard under braking, but that could just be my returns-to-riding rust (?)

2) Steering damper. Is this really a must have? If so, I think I'm more wanting a side-mounted on as I'd prefer a "set it and forget it out of the way" solution. Storz the best option here?
Is the damper even needed? This might be a situation where the internet has put the fear in me... To me the bike handles okay and I don't ride terribly hard. I would say in some long/faster turns the bike doesn't feel especially well planted.

I'm also interested in trying to get some more fuel economy/range out of the bike so if there is stuff to try there... I'm only getting about 100miles / tank before the light comes on. If I can get that closer to 150 it would feel like a better candidate for touring. I suppose an experiment is maybe in order, but if I swap the original ECU back in would the mileage increase noticeably?

Anyways, super excited to be riding again and especially riding on this bike!

·
Registered
2007 GT1000
61 Posts
Welcome! I got my 2007 GT1000 with about the same miles as yours last June. I added about 3k of my own so far! Love the look, the sound, and the comfort. Mine was equipped with full Ohlins front and rear and I’ve got no complaints even though I’m heavier than you. I don’t have a steering stabilizer and am interested in what opinions others offer. I don’t think I need one.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Welcome aboard and congrats on the new (to you) GT1000! Looks like you got the black and cream combination- always liked that and almost bought one myself.
Like wawazat, I don't have a steering stabilizer and don't think I need one. I'm not riding my bike hard either.
Don't think you can just change back to the stock ECU with the Termis installed. You probably no longer have an O2 (Lambda) sensor installed with your current set up. Don't take my word on this, but think you'd have to go back to stock mufflers and reinstall O2 sensor with stock ECU. Bike would run way to lean, and probably not right, if you tried reinstalling stock ECU with the Termis as you'd be going from an open loop system to an ECU looking for an O2 sensor (closed loop), along with the lower restriction of the Termis. You may consider going to someone who can tune your bike and try to put a leaner tune/ re-map on it, IF they can and the bike can handle it. Just my $0.02.. there are much more knowledgeable folks than me on here that can possibly give you some direction.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I now have an alloy tank that holds considerably more fuel but when I had the plastic nightmare tank I seem to remember (it's been about 10 years) that I usually got about 120 miles before the low fuel light came on. 100 miles seems very low to me and I suspect there could be another issue lowering your range. Perhaps a tune up would help your mileage but you probably will never get 150 milesrange from a stock tank unless you ride like...well you know. And FYI on my bike when the fuel light comes on and stays on I have discovered (don't ask) I'd better find a gas station right NOW because there's maybe 20 miles left in the tank.

Added- I have a S1K not a GT maybe the tanks are different in capacity.

Reactions: ras

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,214 Posts
Congrats on the GT!

100 miles to the fuel indicator is on the low side if you are riding on the freeway, but in curvy roads it is close to what I am getting. Rather than focusing on consumption, I'd focus on the bike's performance and on extending its useful life.

It is not a good idea to run the OEM ECU with the termis. Your bike will run too lean and will tend to overheat.

I'd recommend to do the following:
1) Check and clean/replace your air filter.
Did the previous owner instal the DP air lid, a MWR filter or velocity stacks to increase air flow with the termis?
Maybe you just need to add some air to the air/fuel mix.

2) Get yourself a set of cables to use JPdiag.
It is a powerful tool that will allow you to fine-tune the amount of fuel in the air/fuel mix with the CO trim adjustment.
There are many threads about this in the forum. If you get stuck or confused at some point you can always ask. From my part, I will be happy to share some of my experience with you.

About the suspension, I am sure that you will benefit greatly from a set of springs that are right for you. I understand that you are not complaining about the stock forks now because you might be comparing them to what you rode 30 years ago. But the moment you get on a post 2000 bike, you will start looking for ajustable alternatives.

In my experience, there is no need for a steering damper on these bikes unless you are doing some vintage racing on the track with your front wheel frequently on the air. But I know what you mean about the lack of stability on the curves.
My advise here is to get rid of the steel rims first (hopefully you don't have them covered with the crappy OEM Phantoms) suspension upgrade can improve things further.

I love my GT1000, but I admit that these bikes have poor handling in their OEM form. But the potential of a nice handling bike is there. Unfortunately you have to invest in several mods to get there.

Here si mine:

Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
4 Posts
@egomexico has given great advice to you! One more data point for you, I have an '06 Sport 1000 and it had the stock fork on it and really noticed the 'diving' you speak of. I put the BiTubo ECH cartridges in the forks and it completely transformed the bike, much more planted, and no diving.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I now have an alloy tank that holds considerably more fuel but when I had the plastic nightmare tank I seem to remember (it's been about 10 years) that I usually got about 120 miles before the low fuel light came on.
Are there places to still find those larger capacity tanks? I read they were really expensive...

Congrats on the GT!

100 miles to the fuel indicator is on the low side if you are riding on the freeway, but in curvy roads it is close to what I am getting. Rather than focusing on consumption, I'd focus on the bike's performance and on extending its useful life.
yeah, it's all curvy back roads. I'm right on the fringe of "city" in western washington so I don't have to go far to reach some nice practice roads. Yesterday was the first time I even got up to 70mph on it. I am rusty..

It is not a good idea to run the OEM ECU with the termis. Your bike will run too lean and will tend to overheat.
got it. won't do it. I'm glad I asked here before trying :D

I'd recommend to do the following:
1) Check and clean/replace your air filter.
Did the previous owner instal the DP air lid, a MWR filter or velocity stacks to increase air flow with the termis?
Maybe you just need to add some air to the air/fuel mix.
yes, I forgot to mention that upgrade (heh, so did the seller.. lol) but they have swapped it out.
2) Get yourself a set of cables to use JPdiag.
It is a powerful tool that will allow you to fine-tune the amount of fuel in the air/fuel mix with the CO trim adjustment.
This sounds like a fun gadget to mess with... i'm very enginerdy about these things so...

About the suspension, I am sure that you will benefit greatly from a set of springs that are right for you. I understand that you are not complaining about the stock forks now because you might be comparing them to what you rode 30 years ago. But the moment you get on a post 2000 bike, you will start looking for ajustable alternatives.
So, as a returning rider I'm somewhat cheap, not being fully committed to my return to riding yet. It sounds like cartridges would also get me there for the forks. Maybe the Andreani's which seem widely available and leave the rears for later?

My advise here is to get rid of the steel rims first (hopefully you don't have them covered with the crappy OEM Phantoms) suspension upgrade can improve things further.
The bike came with its original tires - complete with datestamp from 2006! but now I've got Michelin pilot sports.

I read some of your "mods thread" where you scored wheels for $500. I would love to find some inexpensive, lighter wheels to try out, but I love the spokes on these bikes... If I kept it long term I'd want to get something tubeless and spoked.

I love my GT1000, but I admit that these bikes have poor handling in their OEM form. But the potential of a nice handling bike is there. Unfortunately you have to invest in several mods to get there.

Here si mine:

Welcome to the club!
Your bike is really gorgeous!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've got my first order for some custom parts, sounds like it's time to plan the second one.

·
Registered
904 Posts
You can find the guy who makes the alloy tanks (Technorace) in the sticky post up top about swelling tanks. He's in Italy. He only makes Sport style tanks. They are expensive. They are the same shape as the stock tank but hold more because the aluminum is much thinner than the junk plastic tanks Ducati gave us. But the stock tank should give you an hour and a half ride and it's time to get off and stretch then anyway. You'll want the JPDiag app for belt tensioning as well as twiddling with the ECU BTW... and assuming you don't know their age, you have replaced the belts haven't you? A broken belt will leave you in a world of pain. I installed the Andreani cartridges on my S1K. Easy cost effective mod and they work well. A big boy like you needs springs and oil in the forks at the very least since stock suspension is set up for a 150 pound dripping wet dude. Lighter wheels make for a MAJOR improvement in handling and also help out the built to a price stock suspension. Lighter wheels are the second best mod after an exhaust that makes the bike sound like a Duc. Spokes are lovely to look at but light wheels make the bike a delight in the twisties. Until you try a lighter set of wheels you can not fathom what a dramatic difference they make.
That's all I've got for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks @StratDuc - I had just found that sticky and messaged Technorace. I figure they can't be cheap, banging out low-volume, high-skill-required parts never is.. For me the pain of the prices are a limit/measure of my commitment to this particular bike vs just shopping for something else. I'm also still slow af in the twisties so...

I had a Ducati mechanic do the valves and they also replaced the belts - pretty much caught it up on all the deferred service but I cheaped out on the fork oil and opted to do the brakes and clutch myself. Having already read so much about the forks needing upgrades I figured why pay for the dis/re-assembly of the forks twice.

Based on everyone's recommendations here I'll be ordering some cartridges and get the mechanic to install them.

Also on the lookout for lighter wheels. I can "suffer" losing the spokes for the sake of trying out some mags. If they really compel me then I'd go for some lighter, tubeless spoked wheels.

·
Registered
904 Posts
You won't be sorry getting the lighter wheels especially on a GT with the boat anchor steel wheels. I think you'll drop about 15-18 pounds with a set of cast or forged wheels. And if you buy used wheels and decide to go back to the spokes you can sell the cast wheels and recoup all of your investment unlike most mods.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just realized i posted no pics yet...

With the windscreen:

or without ...

in the (rare for here) sunshine

all very tame compared to some of the crazy modded bikes I've seen here but it's mine and I dig it.

I just popped the windscreen off so haven't yet ridden without it. It didn't seem to keep any wind off my head (6' tall) but obviously it was punching some hole through the air...

·
Registered
904 Posts
Nice clean looking example. If you sell that black Sukuki you can buy the alloy tank and the light wheels and have spare change left over! But now it's time to go out and scuff up the pristine edges of those new tires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...If you sell that black Sukuki you can buy the alloy tank and the light wheels and have spare change left over!
I'm one step ahead of you... the suzuki is already on craigslist.

That was sort of an impulse buy, but generally thinking it would be good to start on a little bike to ease back into riding.

I've put maybe 200 miles on it but it's just not that fun for me to ride it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Look at the sticky post at the top of this forum in the swelling tank thread.

·
Registered
2007 GT1000
61 Posts
And ras, I ran my tank really low prior to pulling it off last weekend for an air filter change and wiring runs for my heated gear. I filled up the tank, noted the odometer, and am running it until the low fuel light comes on to tell you what I see on my GT for your reference. I do know the PO swapped out the front sprocket to a 14t on my bike. I do mostly surface streets though have put on some highway miles yesterday.

·
Registered
904 Posts

Right up above like I said. Last post has his email address.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts