Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Ducati Hypermotard 821
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
British Expat here. Originally from Hertfordshire & Bedfordshire, in the UK and now living in Southern MD USA, for the last 25 years. Been riding since I was 12 and ridden bikes from all over the world, all different sizes, technologies & genres. Started off in UK with scooters & the 80's 2-strokes (still love the smell of Castrol-R) and then moved on to the Japanese crotch-rockets, then onto a few Buells, Harleys, Triumphs and then onto, in my mind, the best bike ever built (for me), the Yamaha Stratoliner. Rode cruisers for 15 years, then one day, after a week long trip to Key West, parked my bike and just didn't get back on for 2 or 3 years. Just no motivation. Sold the bike back in February of 2020 and was fine until it dawned on me that, for the first time in nearly 42 years, I didn't have a bike. I don't consider myself a biker (though I did go through that phase, but came out of it again), but I do consider myself a motorcyclist, always have done. Having no bike gave me a bit of an identity crisis, so I decided I'd get another. The trick was to find a bike that would resurrect my desire to ride again. I looked at everything and just couldn't make up my mind. Then I started talking to my brother, back in the UK, about his old KTM. We both used to race MX back in UK, so I started to think about either a Supermoto, or Dual Sport. From looking at KTM and the Triumph Tiger, I got to wondering about Ducati (had several Vespas & Lambrettas, but never owned an actual Italian motorcycle) and a few weeks later was the proud owner of a 2015 Hypermotard 821 with just 6,000 miles. Love it! Bike is insane and refined at the same time. Working on reducing the size of the wanker strips (I paid for the whole tyre, I really should use it), but at 53 years of age, using a bit of wisdom to maybe keep my bones in one piece. After 20 years on cruisers & scooters (don't ask, I can't honestly explain!), I am learning to ride again. And boy, the Hypermotard is a hell of an instructor! I wouldn't call myself a hooligan rider, but I do like to push the envelope a bit, when I feel the risk is minimized.Looking forward to getting some good advice from this site and maybe contributing a bit myself.

·
Administrator
12,322 Posts
Hi and welcome. Glad to hear you are enjoying the Hyper :D

Reactions: EnglishAndy

·
Premium Member
2012 Matte Black SFS
388 Posts
Welcome from the DC area! Great intro and thanks for sharing your background! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts