Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking for a good week or so. A Sport Classic is no doubt in my future, but who knows how long. A year? maybe two?

Hence the user name "Classic Dreamer" as all I can do right now is dream.

I've been a daily rider for about 6 1/2 years now. I started on an 84 GPz900, then "experimented" with an 86 K100, and now have been the proud and happy owner of a 2001 ZRX1200 for two years now.

I wandered into a Ducati Dealership about a year and a half ago, so the sport classic biposoto model in the burnt yellow and absolutely fell in love.

I am currently working at Tucker Rocky, an aftermarket parts distributor, where I have been for two years and am currently working the overstock/closeout sales position. My wife just got certified as a teacher and is looking for a job. Once we get her squared away with a paycheck, I can begin to look for work elsewhere. Although sticking at Tucker Rocky would net me a very nice salary in a year or so, I REALLY don't like office work and would prefer to work as a mechanic.

I've toyed with the idea of the school in Florida (Wyotech) for the european program, as I'd like to be in euro specific shops, particularly Ducati. The other (cheaper) plan is to get on at a shop in an apprentice position and just roll on from there.

I'm a decent mechanic and have done my own work from piston jobs to valve checks, to tire changes without machines ( :eek: ), fork jobs, chain/sprocket jobs, etc. so I've got a good base knowledge to go off of. starting working on cars (66 Mustang in high school) at 16, discovered bikes at 20, and am 26 now and have long since abandoned cars for fun.

WHEW, lots of info there, but I think a little background helps.

So you'll see me digging up ancient threads that I've spotted through lurking, so be pepared for that. I must say I'm excited to see as many people buts about modding the sportclassics as there are people on the ZRX board who really like to take it to the extreme.

But one thing seems to be missing: Where's the weight freak?

There is a guy name KWIK on the ZRX board who is obsessed with whittling down the weight of his ZRX. Even down to titanium brake pins. He's gotten a bike that weighs about 550 wet in stock form down to nearly 400 pounds with a gallon of gas. He's insane.

One of the things that attracts me to the Sport classic is it's pretty low weight from stock. With an upgrade exhaust and forged 10 spoke Marchesinis, this thing drops straight to about 400 pounds wet. And that's just the beginning!

So where is he or she? Who is hiding the super duper light weight sport classic? I think it would be sick to see a 350 pound wet weight version with a slightly massaged engine, maybe 100 or so HP.

Anyhow, I hope to be able to contribute in the future, but for now you're just going to get a bunch of annoying questions.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
350 pds / 160 kgs inkl. some fuel is no big deal
for a naked aircooled two valve ducati.
i suppose many people are weight freaks here,
but one needs to be quite healthy to pay for the
reduction of the last 20 Kgs, from 155 to 135 that
is, as each gramm equals one euro or dollar in the end.

welcome to the board.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Another "Welcome to the board", this time from someone who has only been registered for two weeks. Mind you, I did lurk for almost 3 years before I got round to pulling the trigger on a Sport 1000 Biposto: hope you don't have another 1 1/2 years to go before making the bike purchase! ;)

Bolder

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Welcome.:) From a fellow former Kaw owner (Z1000)

Have a look at NCR for some inspiration. Ridiculous money:eek:, but they got the dry weight down to under 300 pounds. However, not too many of us are willing to shell out for a titanium frame just yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No doubt, NCR is big money. Quite an inspiration, though. They do have some nice pieces for "reasonable" prices on there, however. For instance, the aluminum fairing stay looks like a pretty sweet deal. How much does the stock piece weigh?

So has anyone here gotten their bike down to 300 then? Sounds expensive. I'd be thrilled with just the sub 400 pound bike.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
400 will be easy. Wheels and exhaust should get you nicely under that target. Then you can drop a few more pounds with a lightweight battery or speedcell. A few more pounds off, plus a few more HP, by replacing the airbox with Wasp's bell mouths or TPO's beast. Save a couple of pound of unsprung weight with lighter tires. Remove unnecessary stuff like the rear fender and cow bell. You can go to a 520 chain conversion, but not sure how much that'll save ya and it's arguable whether or not it's a good idea. Then it comes down to replacing stock bits with carbon fiber, titanium, and magnesium, and this is where you start paying big money for relatively small weight savings. But those ounces ad up to pounds. Good luck and have fun with it!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
welcome! looking forward to you getting your bike and figuring out some good weight saving options for us... ;)

cheers,
D.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Welcome CD, and I hope you're in a position to pull the trigger on an SC sooner than you expect! As you've noticed, the SCs are pretty light to begin with, especially compared to other retro style bikes. So that's where your weight freaks are probably hiding - other manufacturers' forums:D

For months prior to buying my GT, I lurked on the Triumph site when I thought I was going to buy one. There were a tremendous number of threads complaining about their classic bikes being heavy and underpowered. Not knocking Triumph at all - I still think they're cool bikes - but I've noticed a lot less of that type of complaining here and I must admit that was the major reason I got my GT instead is that I knew stock it would have a power to weight ratio plenty more than sufficient for my needs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts