Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to Ducs. I have a 2002 STs4 in drop dead red.

It has had some issues since I bought it last year including a completely lunched engine about 200 miles into my ownership. Has a new engine now.
Current question: If they bike is running, will these bikes continue to run if the battery goes below a certain voltage? Mine is about cooked I think and is good for maybe two cold starts then is pretty much out of the picture until I give it an overnight trickle charge. Does that sound like I need a battery? I am clueless as to it's age. When charged seems to turn the starter slowly compared the starter on a CBX I have. Is checking the alternator output at the trickle charge pigtail a reliable way to determine if the battery is getting enough juice from the alternator?

Thanks
:confused:
Magnet21

·
Registered
214 Posts
Welcome to the board Mag. My short answer to your questions is if you don't know the condition of the battery, replace it. Not worth being stranded because of a questionable battery. Once you know your battery is good, you can troubleshoot it if needed.

Drop by the Sports Touring subforum and do a search for any troubleshooting questions.

Again, welcome aboard.

Scott

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,367 Posts
Word of warning when replacing the battery: make sure you install the leads correctly the first time. This is EXTREMELY important. If you mix them up you will fry the ECU. This has happened to many people. Don't be one of them.

Now, if you wouldn't mind, please fill out your location info for us.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile

Thanks and good luck. See you in the ST section.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
If the battery is old and has been idle for a long time, it may have trouble holding a charge. You may also check the battery connections as they can corrode and increase resistance. Also, the stock cables on the older Ducs are not the best quality and over time break down which also increases resistance and slows turnover when starting. There are aftermarket cable kits (Motolectric) that really work well. I have used them on many of my Ducs that I have owned.

Concerning low voltage when running; usually the charging circuit keeps the voltage high enough to allow all the electronics to work properly. I have only had one instance in the many years of riding where one cell in the battery dropped out (it was a brand new battery). I was on the freeway and all of a sudden the bike sputtered than shut down completely dead. No lights, no spark, no dash power. I had to a call a friend and come pick me up in his truck. Fortunately, I simply replaced the battery and all was fine.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I cannot emphasize enough how true the above comments are about replacing the stock cables from battery to solenoid, solenoid to starter motor, and the earth lead on just about every Ducati. The stock items are constructed to conduct enough current to light one (and one only) Christmas fairy light. You can buy a ready-made kit or you can make up cables from good quality, low oxy cabling and good, soldered terminals yourself. Replacing the stock rubbish cables solves poor starting issues 9 times out of 10 and if you don't sort it, the starter motor wheezes slowly on the low current, the starter sprague clutch doesn't engage properly, this then farks the sprague clutch and the surface it engages on in the flywheel. Do it. DO IT! (Did I say do it?)
Now I need a lie-down.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Word of warning when replacing the battery: make sure you install the leads correctly the first time. This is EXTREMELY important. If you mix them up you will fry the ECU. This has happened to many people. Don't be one of them.

Now, if you wouldn't mind, please fill out your location info for us.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile

Thanks and good luck. See you in the ST section.
As Yorik mentions install battery correctly. + is to the front of the bike on our ST machines (also 916, 748, 996, 998)!!

Also very important is the ground wire for the ECU. It's on the outside of the battery box...ECU is on the inside of the box! If it's not grounded, intere$ting thing$ can happen...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts