Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a Vespa driver for years around NYC and now I'm looking into stepping up into something with more power and performance. I have my heart dead set on finding a SportClassic Sport 1000 or GT 1000, but I didn't realize what I was getting into. These babies sure are rare and hard to find for a decent price.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
I have been a Vespa driver for years around NYC and now I'm looking into stepping up into something with more power and performance. I have my heart dead set on finding a SportClassic Sport 1000 or GT 1000, but I didn't realize what I was getting into. These babies sure are rare and hard to find for a decent price.
And likely to become yet more so. Out of production Ducatis, sold in relatively small numbers, and with no successor models. That is a formula for increasing values and growing scarcity.

-don

·
Registered
821 Posts
They are certainly getting harder to find. To make you possibly not feel so bad, I assume since you rode a vespa for years that you really like it. I hope you know the SC is exactly a polar opposite in every conceivable way. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Be diligent, check a nationwide Craigslist, Ebay, and Cycletrader frequently. And have cash ready to go because available bikes don't last long. Figure $8k for a GT, $10k for a Sport, $12k for a S, and $18 for a PS (based on recent sales I've seen). You may find them for less, but having that amount ready to go means you won't miss an opportunity. Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@arbakken: Oh I am hoping for some new experiences.

@greggers: Been looking at GT and Sport, so I guess I need to have $12K in cash ready to go. Man oh man that's steep.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leaning towards the GT 1000 more for just that reason. I'm a student living in NYC, but my home is in Northern Virginia. I would love to take this baby on the interstate to and from the two states. The more aggressive riding position on the Sport might be too much for me to handle. I'm used to the upright with the Vespa gts 300 super, which I don't know if I want to sell away just yet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello.
I'm in the city as well and have had my GT here for the past 3 years.
I was just at the Ducati dealer in soho and they have a GT for sale. Check it out.
Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Oh I didn't know they had a dealer in soho. Where is it located?
The ducati/triumph dealer site lists a gt 1000 for $10.5K @ 6700 miles. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
yeah but it's local! If you find one across country for a little less you'll pay just to get it back to you.

·
Registered
821 Posts
yeah but it's local! If you find one across country for a little less you'll pay just to get it back to you.
If it helps from a cost comparison, it costs about $500 to get a bike shipped, but you can't inspect it personally. I had mine shipped to SD from VA, and I'm glad I bought it 2 years ago when prices were much, much lower.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
That is average for miles, I'd check the maintenance history, see if they will either do the belts or knock $500 off price.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
I shipped mine from FL to CA with Allied Federal, cost about $650 and couldn't have been easier.

There's a guy selling a GT for $5300 with a lot of good mods in the classifieds. It's got almost 30k miles but I've heard well cared for 2v Ducs can do 100k no problem

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since it is a dealer, I'm pretty sure I could get it for less with a bit of bargaining. We'll see though.

@greggers: Yeah that bike looks very good. The miles is the only thing holding me back.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Plenty of them up here in Canada and some real decent ones to boot ! Shipping is easy and there are no duties between us thanks to the Free Trade Agreement. The exchange rate is slightly in your favor at the moment as well !

Here's a SC , S1000 & GT all 3 with super low miles !!

Muzz

1 - 20 of 44 Posts