Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any problems with the break line being to short when installing Heli bar risers?

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
Have you put some miles on your bike with the OEM handle bars? I had Heli bars on my 01-ST4 and 02-4s, but find them unnecessary for my 04-ST4s, as the OEM handle bars in the high (factory) setting are very comfortable.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I put 600 miles on it, but seems a little low for me. Maybe it is just getting used to it. My last few bikes were Harley Davidsons. Could be I'm just used to the higher bars. I'll try putting a few more miles on it and see. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I have about 1500 miles on my helibars. They make a big difference for me. My only complaint is that because of the short brake line you can't raise the bars as far as they were designed to be raised. I went to the Helibar website and they say if mounted properly the lines should be long enough, but according to the pictures they provided, the bars are installed properly on my 2005 ST3. To get the last 1/4 inch of bar height, one needs to order loner brake lines. Helibar told me the company they use for Ducati brake lines, but I have since lost the message. After using the bars several times on 250-500 mile trips, I am totally used to the bar height and find it comfortable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I put about 6k miles on the stock bars. The height wasnt as much of a problem as was the reach. I'm 5'8". I've put about 4k miles on the Heli bars and am very satisfied with them. The front brake hose is just long enough and thats it! The idle speed does raise slightly when the bars are turned all the way against the stops.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I should have listened to this advice. I formerly rode a cruiser with pullback bars. When I got my new ST3 back in December, I immediately ordered the Heli's, but being hesitant to install them myself, I was going to wait for the 3K oil change and let the dealer do it. But I've gotten used to the stock bars. Since I had them sitting in the box for more than 30 days, I thought I'd at least give it a shot and see if Heli would still take them back. They very graciously allowed me to return them since I hadn't opened the shrink wrap. If I did ever decide to put custom bar risers on I'd probably go with the Cyclecats since they can be adjusted in various ways from stock to higher than stock to lower than stock.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had the dealership install my Heli's and the stock lines are long enough....no worries!

·
Registered
3 Posts
YES!! I have a 2007 ST3 and I posted a similar thread where the dealer told me that Ducati front brake lines can vary as much as 2 inches from bike to bike, same model (I heard they hired the former head of quality control from Harley Davidson -- Just kidding, I have both bikes)

They evidently have some that are so long they kink, and others (like mine) that were so short they're as taunt as guitar strings .. not good if you're front end goes up and the wheel drops.

I had to have an after market manufacturer create a new brake line 1 1/2" longer than my "stock" Ducati line and the Heli bars were OK. But add another $200 (if you're paying labor for the dealer to install), on top of the $350 for the bars. Sounds like a lot, but you get used to it when you pay $400 for a Ducati leather jacket.... and then $500 for a Harley leather jacket (stick to Joe Rocket or something)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yup, my brake line was short, way short so I put the Helis on low. The closer-to-me and higher position was OK but the new grip angle hurt my wrists. I put the stock risers back on and got used to them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts