Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Bobaganoosh
Joined
·
2,048 Posts
They are great gloves... Beverly Hills Ducati, stocks many styles and sizes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do any of you own the Krypton? Are they bulky? Thx.
 

·
comrade moderator
Joined
·
26,748 Posts
Bro, check page 2 of the classisieds...there are two smokin deals on some great Held gloves. Highly recommended.
A good friend has two major racetrack crashes in a pair of Akira's, and not only are his hands unscathed, the gloves are fine!
I'm a semi-pro guitar player, and I watch out for my hands, as you can imagine...I wear Held Steves.
Go for it...you won't be unhappy with the decision.
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Purspeed said:
Do any of you own the Krypton? Are they bulky? Thx.
The first thing I noticed about Held gloves is that they are anything but bulky. For some reason, I expected them to be big and bulky because of the price, but they are thin and comfortable. A friend of mine recommended a pair of the Profis to me because he said they crashed well. I didn't just take his word for it so I tested the product out for myself when I got mine. :) He was right.

By the way, the Profis required no break-in time. That might not be important for the street, but it's a good 'feature' for track riders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
These are great gloves. I've had a pair of the "galaxy" for a year now. Like one of the other posters, my hands are incredibly important (I teach piano for a living).

I know they're racing gloves, but I wear them all the time. They're comfortable, especially compared to other racing gloves (I know the Kangaroo leather sounds like a marketing gimmick, but it is definitely thinner and gives you a better feel at the levers). Fortunately, I haven't personally tested the palm slider rivets, double leather palm or kevlar backing, but they seemed like the only gloves that would hold up at highway (or higher) speeds and didn't feel like oven mitts when I had them on.

Sorry, this is starting to sound like a paid endorsement (it's not, I got lucky and paid $185 at a local dealers 20% off sale - that looks like a pretty good price you found, like most top of the line stuff it's hard to get much below list).

Only complaint I've heard was from a friend who said that he liked them, but they wore out in about a year - he commutes about four months out of the year. I rode about 3000 miles last year and they're in good shape, very minimal wear. They should be good for at least a couple more years.

I think they're the only way to go, the cheap gloves don't provide much (if any) protection, the middle range gloves don't have much feel and how much money are we talking, maybe and extra hundred bucks? That's nothing compared any potential medical bill these days.

Good luck, hope this helps ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
+1 ( Held Galaxy Gloves )

only Co. i use for gloves.... {by the way-been using the same gloves since Nov.2002}

here's a true story:
in the spring of '04 a friend of mine a fellow Duc 748 rider asked: 'what gloves do you recommend?' and better yet, 'what gloves do YOU use?' so I showed him my
Held Galaxy's....
the summer of '04 get a phone call from my buddy. first thing i ask are you ok...
he responds, ...'not a scratch, and by the way, was going +80mph on the highway, hit the gaurd_rail and found myself skiddng on the asphalt about 50yards on my hands, you know sure enough the beads worked out just fine, i think i'm going to buy a new pair....!'
:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,545 Posts
My first pair of Held gloves was awesome. So, I bought a pair for my son. I've forgotten the model of my pair but they were about $170. My son's were a step down in price. The stitching in his gloves came apart at the end of the first season. Prior to his coming apart I had bought a second pair (same model as my first) and have had them for two years. No stiching issues but one index finger is slightly longer than the other. Not an issue I had with the first pair. My orginal gloves were made in Germany but the others were made (I think) in Korea. Don't know if that means anything. I do know that the Held importer dropped them when they outsourced their production.

bruce19
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,393 Posts
So true !!

You must be referring to Helimot ( in San Jose) who complained bitterly when the production went to Pakistan. Quality was just not the same.

Helmut went into the glove business and is now doing extremely well. The gloves were reviewed in Cycle World and Motorcyclist with great enthusiasm.

I enjoy mine very much.

b.

bruce19 said:
My first pair of Held gloves was awesome. So, I bought a pair for my son. I've forgotten the model of my pair but they were about $170. My son's were a step down in price. The stitching in his gloves came apart at the end of the first season. Prior to his coming apart I had bought a second pair (same model as my first) and have had them for two years. No stiching issues but one index finger is slightly longer than the other. Not an issue I had with the first pair. My orginal gloves were made in Germany but the others were made (I think) in Korea. Don't know if that means anything. I do know that the Held importer dropped them when they outsourced their production.

bruce19
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,393 Posts
So true !!

You must be referring to Helimot ( in San Jose) who complained bitterly when the production went to Pakistan. Quality was just not the same.

Helmut went into the glove business and is now doing extremely well. The gloves were reviewed in Cycle World and Motorcyclist with great enthusiasm.

Starting in on my third season with mine and no end in sight.

b.

bruce19 said:
My first pair of Held gloves was awesome. So, I bought a pair for my son. I've forgotten the model of my pair but they were about $170. My son's were a step down in price. The stitching in his gloves came apart at the end of the first season. Prior to his coming apart I had bought a second pair (same model as my first) and have had them for two years. No stiching issues but one index finger is slightly longer than the other. Not an issue I had with the first pair. My orginal gloves were made in Germany but the others were made (I think) in Korea. Don't know if that means anything. I do know that the Held importer dropped them when they outsourced their production.

bruce19
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,545 Posts
bevel450 said:
So true !!

You must be referring to Helimot ( in San Jose) who complained bitterly when the production went to Pakistan. Quality was just not the same.

Helmut went into the glove business and is now doing extremely well. The gloves were reviewed in Cycle World and Motorcyclist with great enthusiasm.

Starting in on my third season with mine and no end in sight.

b.

Exactly. Sorry I didn't have the facts at my fingertips when I posted. I try to be more accurate usually. Appreciate you filling in the details.

bruce19
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I have the Krypton gloves and they are very comfortable and vent much better than I expected. Held uses Kagaroo so the gloves have really good feel and they don't show any signs of wear. I have a friend that had a lowside with these goves at the track and held ;-) up very well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
I have the Helds with the metal sliders and the kangaroo palms. they are absolutely the best gloves ever except when it rains the suck up water like a sponge.
 

·
Senior Moment
Joined
·
1,474 Posts
I've worn held gloves since 1989 and have more pairs than anyone has a right to - 4 pairs in Kevlar (now discontinued) alone. Several others with/without the CF knuckles.

Held USED to be a top-quality glove until they moved their manufacturing facilities to China. Their gloves are no longer made in Germany - but they claim the gloves are inspected in Germany. I highly doubt that.

Like someone else who posted, I've seen newer gloves (Chinese mfr.) with stitching unravelling on the shelf in a shop. Severe quality problems. And the way some of the seams are done (exposed thread in the palm area) they can (and have) quickly split in an accident. My friend Sam was messed up in an accident.

Like Bevel, I've gone completely over to Helimot gloves. My Buffalo 365's are thick deerskin (soo soft), great for general riding, and don't soak up water. My H20's (sport glove) fit like nothing else. And my F108's (kevlar on the back of the hand (a hell of a summer glove)) put the similar Helds to shame.

maybe I'll sell my newer Helds.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
I also have a pair of (German made) Held Galaxy gloves... Roo skin and exact sizing makes them awesome and the fit perfect.

From what I've heard and as mentioned above, Held went and outsourced its production and quality has really dropped. I have a pair of Dainese T-Age gloves as a backup but never use them....

I don't know how the Helimot gloves are but since they were the Held distributor here in the US, they may have been able to copy the design and use the original Held manufacturer in Germany.

I hope so since I'll need replacement gloves in the next year or two....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,393 Posts
Actually, Helimot makes all of their products right there at their shop in San Jose, Ca. I've seen both my leathers and my gloves as work-in-progress. Pretty interesting thing to see...the pattern making, the sewing. Interesting too that you get to see what a piece of art the human hand is after watching the design for function, and the pattern development, and the assembly. And all pure USA stuff.

BTW, the designs have nothing in common with the Held gloves. Helmut obviously learned quite a bit about the shortcomings of that product. I have two pairs of Held gloves to compare them to. And a pair of J Rockets that might be OK for riding the lawn mower. Live and learn, ya know ?

b.

hank said:
I also have a pair of (German made) Held Galaxy gloves... Roo skin and exact sizing makes them awesome and the fit perfect.

From what I've heard and as mentioned above, Held went and outsourced its production and quality has really dropped. I have a pair of Dainese T-Age gloves as a backup but never use them....

I don't know how the Helimot gloves are but since they were the Held distributor here in the US, they may have been able to copy the design and use the original Held manufacturer in Germany.

I hope so since I'll need replacement gloves in the next year or two....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Held Kryptons

I've had my Kryptons for over a year now and all I can say is that in my experience, they are the best gloves made. The feel they give on the controls and the incredible protection they provide is unequaled. My hands are how I make my living- I'm a neurosurgeon. I wouldn't trust my hands to anything else.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top