Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

After 2 seasons running on paved mountain twisties and some light dirt roads I am convinced I'm keeping this dream bike long term, but I've also decided to armor her up and start doing some of the great rocky mountain passes.

After much research I want to put on the Heidenau Scout K60's.

Does anyone run these on their MS?

Cheers,
Don

·
Registered
301 Posts
Have you confirmed that they make the K60 in a size to fit the Multi? I had a pair on my 2012 Super Tenere. They worked well on firm dirt and gravel. Other riders reported that they didn't do so well in mud or sand but few tires do. At low speeds on pavement the K60s are jittery. I noticed the vibration only when coming to a stop. Some people reported poor grip on wet pavement. Tenere riders have reported exceptional mileage (10,000) from these tires. With only a few thousand miles, I picked up a nail in the rear and was planning a long pavement trip so I replaced the K60s with a more pavement oriented tire. When I sold the Tenere I handed the K60s to the new owner.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input.
I change my own tires so I'll keep my Pilot Road 4's handy. I won't be doing mud...just gravel and rubble on the mountain passes. I checked and they do fit almost exactly with slightly narrower profile which is actually better for riding more challenging stuff.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Why not go with a set of Continental TKC80s?

·
Registered
301 Posts
The TKC 80s are known to be a very dirt worthy tire but they have a very short life on pavement. Th Tenere guys say about 2,000 miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had them on my vstrom 1000. Good all round tire for gravel and highway. Not so good on wet pavement. Switched them out at 15000 km on a trip as the weather forecast was calling for rain and I had 3000 km to do in the next 3 days. I was in northern Ontario so could not replace them in kind so put on Michelin anakee 3's and really like them. Be careful with the k60's in wet weather especially when trying to pass and crossing the painted lines.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Heidenau and TKC 80's

To report back on change over...

Hey Bobcat Sig...

So it turns out that Heidenau does not make a fit for the front of the Multi, but checking with the local GS, KTM Colorado pass riders and many are putting the Heidenau on the back and the more aggressive TKC 80 on the front, which is what I did. The Heidenau 170/60/17 is almost identical in size to the Multi stock 190/55/17. Search for tire calculator on web to see the comparisons.

The result of the change over on the 4-wheel drive trails was amazing. The Multi feels like a capable dirt horse except for deep sand where the small front tire will bite you if not careful.

Since I do my own tire/balance work I was not as concerned with being stuck with a long term choice as I'll mount up the Mich Pilot Roads for longer road trips and keep the Heidenau set-up for riding the high mountain Colorado passes and local mountain dirt trails close by our home.

You do give up significant handling in the corners with TKC on the front so welcome to the big trade-off.

Another heads up...if you thought about doing your own tire work...do it. Many great websites/youtube etc to get you going. You'll make your money back in tools after a couple of changes. One of the makers of tools insisted on getting "Tire Paste" for the work and I gotta say that that one "tool" is worth it's weight in gold. Discount Tire gave me a bucket of it for free!

·
Premium Member
53 Posts

The Heidenau 170/60/17 is almost identical in size to the Multi stock 190/55/17.
Very happy to hear they are now making this size.
So it was a success to fit the 170 Heindenau on our stock rear rim ?
I have used plenty of 180/55 (Pirelli MT60 for instance) on the Multi but was unsure about a 170.

Syd

·
Registered
982 Posts

Hey Bobcat Sig...

So it turns out that Heidenau does not make a fit for the front of the Multi, but checking with the local GS, KTM Colorado pass riders and many are putting the Heidenau on the back and the more aggressive TKC 80 on the front, which is what I did. The Heidenau 170/60/17 is almost identical in size to the Multi stock 190/55/17. Search for tire calculator on web to see the comparisons.

The result of the change over on the 4-wheel drive trails was amazing. The Multi feels like a capable dirt horse except for deep sand where the small front tire will bite you if not careful.

Since I do my own tire/balance work I was not as concerned with being stuck with a long term choice as I'll mount up the Mich Pilot Roads for longer road trips and keep the Heidenau set-up for riding the high mountain Colorado passes and local mountain dirt trails close by our home.

You do give up significant handling in the corners with TKC on the front so welcome to the big trade-off.

Another heads up...if you thought about doing your own tire work...do it. Many great websites/youtube etc to get you going. You'll make your money back in tools after a couple of changes. One of the makers of tools insisted on getting "Tire Paste" for the work and I gotta say that that one "tool" is worth it's weight in gold. Discount Tire gave me a bucket of it for free!
Interesting. Good to know that they work.

I'm likely to try the TKC 80s before anything else as I don't have my own tire change gear, yet. Most shops don't typically mount non-standard sizes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
FreeRiders

Be extermely careful of that center "bar" on the small-sized Scouts for the rear. You get that thing on a log or wet rock and it will zip right out from under you (not that you're likely riding your Multi on logs or wet rocks). Having had the Conti TCK-70s on my KTM 1190, also sporting the central bar of rubber to help reduce street wear, I would never buy another dirt-friendly tire with that design again.

IMO, the TKC-80 more than makes up for its lack of treadlife in its sheer grip and the confidence it provides off-road. Not a bad grip on the tarmac either, considering its design! But that speed rating...

Glad you're enjoying the K60 thus far. Keep us posted.

Best,

Zolo

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very happy to hear they are now making this size.
So it was a success to fit the 170 Heindenau on our stock rear rim ?
I have used plenty of 180/55 (Pirelli MT60 for instance) on the Multi but was unsure about a 170.

Syd
They mounted up great and yes the profile is very close to the stock dimensions.
I did use a ratchet strap around the circumference of the rear tire to pull the bead up for it to seal. The Heidenau's have a crazy stiff side wall! Lots of home techniques for sealing the bead to the rim...see youtube...

Two techniques used by home mechs is the strap method or the starter fluid or lighter fluid method. For me fluids don't work above 5,000' due to lack of O2 to get the rapid expansion needed to seal.

Cheers
dp

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FreeRiders

Be extermely careful of that center "bar" on the small-sized Scouts for the rear. You get that thing on a log or wet rock and it will zip right out from under you (not that you're likely riding your Multi on logs or wet rocks). Having had the Conti TCK-70s on my KTM 1190, also sporting the central bar of rubber to help reduce street wear, I would never buy another dirt-friendly tire with that design again.

IMO, the TKC-80 more than makes up for its lack of treadlife in its sheer grip and the confidence it provides off-road. Not a bad grip on the tarmac either, considering its design! But that speed rating...

Glad you're enjoying the K60 thus far. Keep us posted.

Best,

Zolo
Great great point Zolo,

Consideration for your local terra firma is very important! We ride off road in very dry dirt and rocks in the mountains with an occasional stream crossing so the Heidi's work great. If I was riding in areas of any wetness I'd go with a softer tire for sure.

Good info for those making tire choices.

don

·
Registered
45 Posts
Digging up that thread.

How did the K60 performed ?

I jsut bought a set of extra rims to put offroad tires on it. Was looking as well for the K60 on the back and TKC80 on the front

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I put TKC-80's on my MTS a couple of months ago, I bought a second set of rims for the knobbies so I can switch back and forth with my PR4's. Totally agree about dirt-worthiness, this bike is HEAVY for a dirt bike (especially at first and when full of fuel) but can be a lot of fun... I ride with KLR's and KTM Adventures and although I'm a lot more cautious than those guys I chalk at least some of it up to experience. I'm getting faster and more confident and have negotiated some fairly gnarly terrain.

Also agree with comments about SAND. The Multi is still squirrelly as hell on sand, that 17" rim is never going to cut it and 120 is pretty wide tire so... avoid, go slow, both feet down.

Huh, I am not finding this. I have been surprised, stunned actually, at how GOOD the handling is in corners. I was totally ready for a mushy-feeling front that is progressively harder to turn in or hold a line as speed and lean angle increase, but I am not seeing it. I'd say I can do at least 75% of what I can do on the street tires on the TKC's, at least while they're brand spankin' new. I'd never push them to high-speed leans like I would the street tires, but overall day-to-day dry street riding is way way way better than I anticipated. We'll see about tire life, I've had them on for awhile, maybe 1500km or so but they're so good in the dirt that's where I've been doing my long rides.

On the rear I don't really have anything to compare to, but I'll say that this bike on these tires is not what I'd choose for hillclimbs. Heavy bike, hugely fat tires for dirt and a sh#tload of power make for poor traction on loose scrabbly climbs. The rear like to dig itself in.

Out of curiosity, what are you running for tire pressure on the TKC's. I dropped mine down 5psi front & rear from recommended, so like 28 and 34 or something like that. The guys at the (mostly dirt) shop I got them mounted at recommended 25psi. If you're running that range of low pressure you will have much worse handling in turns for sure.

Somebody said in another post that these tires really bring out the Multi's capabilities and I think this is true: I can ride the twisties fast to the trailhead and have a ton of fun on the dirt. I only wish that it wasn't damned near impossible to put a 19" wheel on the front.

I put a belly pan protector on mine from strada adventurosa, highly recommend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts