Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im assuming, the two capped plug ins can be used for heated vest/etc....right? For those of you that have hooked a vest up, what's the cleanest way of doing? After last weeks ride from South Lake Tahoe (35), I'm adding something warm.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use POWERLET heated gear. I also bought their remote heat comtroller (no wires!!!) which runs my jacket liner and gloves separately. So all I have to do is connect the adapter from POWERLET into the plug on the multi and plug my jacket into that. The plug that goes into the bike is about 20 bucks. Hope this makes sense and helps

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I'll piggy back off of the OP's question. What type of connector is needed to plug into the MTS'? It's not a regular size power outlet.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have had problems with the heated clothing plug falling out while riding. I just used the wire harness that came with the cloths and connected it directly to the battery. Just tuck the lead under the passenger seat when I'm not using it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
180 Posts
I use the Gerbings heated gear, jacket liner, pants liner, insoles and glove liners. Quality is excellent.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Heated Liner

This poses a few questions. Many of the heated liners required as much as 77 amps, will they cause a error code if plugged into the stock accs.? Or blow a fuse? If you hook up directly to the battery you will need to turn the liner off before the bike is off. Dead battery come to mind. Then there is the hot lead under the front plastic. Could we tie into that ... if we know how to find it and does not blow a fuse/error code???
Bob in NC.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This poses a few questions. Many of the heated liners required as much as 77 amps, will they cause a error code if plugged into the stock accs.?
I highly doubt there is a liner that's drawing 77 amps. 13Vx77A=1 kW! That's a high end microwave right there!

Now the Gerbing's jacket will pull 6.4 Amps and produce 77 Watts of heat which is much more believable. The pant liner draws 3.4 Amps and produce 44 Watts. The fuse for the Aux plugs is a 10 Amp fuse so in theory that fuse should handle a jacket and pant liner at full blast.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Correcton

Sorry, 77 watts not amps. thats 121 watts plus the gloves???, Or heated grips, GPS and/or phone. Back to the question just how must draw can the stock accs. socket provide without resulting in a error code? Can we draw more from the front access port?
Thanks, Bob in NC.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Back to the question just how must draw can the stock accs. socket provide without resulting in a error code? Can we draw more from the front access port?
Thanks, Bob in NC.
I already answered this question. The accessory plugs that are under the seat are running off of a 10 A fuse. So at 13 or so Volt operating voltage they can run a total of 130 Watts of whatever you plug in (10A x 13V = 130W). The only other thing that is running off of that fuse is the alarm system which can't draw more than a couple of mA so it's essentially a non-issue.

But since most vests/jacket/pant liners have a proprietary connector they also often come with their own wiring harness and fuse that you just connect directly to the battery leads and operate completely separate from the bike. If you want to avoid wiring anything and you just want to use the Aux power connectors then your answer is roughly 130 Watts, 10 Amps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wonder why Gerbings has this warning: If your motorcycle has a CAN Bus system, you can only use this plug to power gloves. To power more than just gloves, you will need to install the battery harness. The vest I want to buy only draws 4.5 amps.

The gloves only draw 2.2 amps.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I wonder why Gerbings has this warning: If your motorcycle has a CAN Bus system, you can only use this plug to power gloves. To power more than just gloves, you will need to install the battery harness. The vest I want to buy only draws 4.5 amps.

The gloves only draw 2.2 amps.
I'm looking to get Gerbing gear as well, but I will definitely connect it directly to the battery. Not sure if you knew this, but you can buy an adapter (lead) that attached directly to your battery tender and when you're riding, you hook your gear to the lead. Pretty convenient, IMO.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm looking to get Gerbing gear as well, but I will definitely connect it directly to the battery. Not sure if you knew this, but you can buy an adapter (lead) that attached directly to your battery tender and when you're riding, you hook your gear to the lead. Pretty convenient, IMO.
Thanks, I suppose I will do that as well but I was curious what the Ducati outlets were for if not for heated gear.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just got the Powerlet heated jacket liner and heated glove liners with wireless dual controller. I just connected it right to the battery. Works fine so far.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Im assuming, the two capped plug ins can be used for heated vest/etc....right? For those of you that have hooked a vest up, what's the cleanest way of doing? After last weeks ride from South Lake Tahoe (35), I'm adding something warm.
3b43 the two factory outlets and the Nav. plug are all on a 10 amp fuse under the seat. So you have 120 watts available max. which should be plenty for a vest. Most Gps's draw at most 1 amp. My Zumo 550 only draws mili-amps when working and less in standby.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks, I suppose I will do that as well but I was curious what the Ducati outlets were for if not for heated gear.
I use the battery to hook up my Gerbings jacket....the lead coming off the battery comes out from the seat in just the right place for hooking up the jacket, in my opinion. I use one of the Ducati outlets for my GPS....with 2 soft velcro straps I can quickly and neatly run the wire from that outlet up to my GPS. I only need to run power to my GPS ever so often, so this setup works great for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts