Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ride the MTS1200 to work today. It was a brisk 46 degrees when I left the house so I figured it was a perfect opportunity to use the heated grips (dealer-installed when bike was new). While I’ve rarely used them in the past, when I did they always worked. In fact, the ‘HIGH’ setting was almost too warm. Today, no matter what setting I chose, I got nothing. . Could this be as simple as a fuse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Could be, it’s easy enough to check the fuses and confirm one way or the other.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine failed on my 2012. There is no separate fuse for the grips on mine, they needed replaced. I bought my bike used with a warranty so they were covered but it would have been a $600.00 repair.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The heated grips are ridiculously expensive from Ducati and are crap, when I pulled mine apart they used a small stick on heating element similar to what you can buy on amazon for about $5.

I ended up replacing mine with a set of the Oxford heated grips modified with the oem Ducati connectors. Plug and play and works great with the oem controls.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn’t see any fuses that looked blown. Ugh.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The heated grips are ridiculously expensive from Ducati and are crap, when I pulled mine apart they used a small stick on heating element similar to what you can buy on amazon for about $5.

I ended up replacing mine with a set of the Oxford heated grips modified with the oem Ducati connectors. Plug and play and works great with the oem controls.

The Oxfords typically have 5 settings, while the factory grips have 3. How do you find running the Oxfords on Medium and High? Would you say they are somewhere around 50% and 100% respectively of the maximum heat of the Oxfords? I have Factory heated grips and they are useless, the Oxfords with factory switch control sounds like an awesome idea.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I’ve never actually used the Oxford controller :). With the oem dash controls though I found the oxfords to be quite a bit hotter on the high setting vs the old oem heated grips. I used to run the oem grips on the high setting all the time, now with the oxfords I use the medium setting.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve never actually used the Oxford controller :). With the oem dash controls though I found the oxfords to be quite a bit hotter on the high setting vs the old oem heated grips. I used to run the oem grips on the high setting all the time, now with the oxfords I use the medium setting.

Cheers

That sounds perfect! After changing OEM connectors to the Oxfords, the rest is just plug and play if the factory grips are active in the menu or did you need to change any other wiring to make it work?

·
Registered
166 Posts
That sounds perfect! After changing OEM connectors to the Oxfords, the rest is just plug and play if the factory grips are active in the menu or did you need to change any other wiring to make it work?
Nothing at all. I simply removed the OEM connectors from the OEM heated grip wiring and fitted them to the new oxford grips wiring (soldered/heat shrinked although you could try to source the pins for the plug and do it that way). This is on a diavel strada btw. I'd assume it to to be similar on the multi but that is an assumption.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts