Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Done mine today.
Purchased the Tusk one (paid more on postage and custom taxes than the actual pads but hey is only pennies compared to the OEM).

Only replaced the right and both now working. I will take some temperature readings later to see if there is any difference between them. If not, I will leave them as is and replace the left only if noticeably less than right.

I decided to solder the wires directly on the pads at the end - it was much quicker and easier for me.

The length is spot on but the width a bit too short as is not going round all the way, needs one more centimetre - hopefully it wont be noticeable and the tip of my fingers will get worm as well ;-).

Thanks to all for your help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Reviving old thread, mine just went out last week on '14 MTS 1200 GT. It was working all along. The bike has 11.7k miles. I did install the arrow full system and it went out right after that. So now I am guessing that I missed a connector. The dash says "activated" but won't heat. Hoping to not replace the grips.

Btw, how much did your dealer charge for installing? Dealer here said $300 for install and $300 for the grips.

And yes, I have the fuel sensor error for about 1000 miles now >:)

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Same here (except for the Arrow). I paid about $450. Way too much.
Next time I'll do it myself with aftermarket grips. I put a set on an S4Rs and it was a beautiful thing. I even put the board and controller into the left switch.
And according to my dealer, the MS grips will go out again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same here (except for the Arrow). I paid about $450. Way too much.
Next time I'll do it myself with aftermarket grips. I put a set on an S4Rs and it was a beautiful thing. I even put the board and controller into the left switch.
And according to my dealer, the MS grips will go out again.
I am going to try what the guys recommend above. I need to see an open circuit to make sure I haven't screwed up anything when installing arrow. I don't think I have because if I did, I would think the dash would light up like a X-Mas tree with a lot more faults. The fact that the dash say "activated" tell me the wiring is correct.

The bike is at the dealer right now for the stupid DSS error. Once I have it back, I'll update on my findings with the resistance readings.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Done mine today.
Purchased the Tusk one (paid more on postage and custom taxes than the actual pads but hey is only pennies compared to the OEM).

Only replaced the right and both now working. I will take some temperature readings later to see if there is any difference between them. If not, I will leave them as is and replace the left only if noticeably less than right.

I decided to solder the wires directly on the pads at the end - it was much quicker and easier for me.

The length is spot on but the width a bit too short as is not going round all the way, needs one more centimetre - hopefully it wont be noticeable and the tip of my fingers will get worm as well ;-).

Thanks to all for your help.
This is very promising. Ordering the tusk while I wait for the bike from the dealer. 0:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine have been replaced twice on my 13 multi. First set at 10k and second set at 24k. I do use my heated grips a lot but they should last longer than that. I'm very thankful that warranty has covered both of them. I now have 40k miles and they still work but for how long? Dealer claims that if dash shows they are on then it has to be grips or wiring. I tried the not using them on HIGH trick on the second set. It seemed to make no difference as they went out with approximately the same amount of usage as first set.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got the bike from dealership. Measured the resistance. 7.1 ohms (as expected, good grip) on the left and 55k ohms (bad grip) on the right. So so happy to see I have the same problem as the guys mentioned above. Now I am 100x more confident that the $20 kit would fix the problem. Waiting period for the kit to arrive begins.....It gives me so much happiness thinking that now if the grips go out again, the fix is cheap and quick. A zillion gazillion thanks to the genius whop posted the solution above.

·
Registered
24 Posts
SUCCESS!!!

So finally go around to installing the tusk kit. WORKED like a charm :yeah:. The heated grips are functional again. Just changed the one on throttle side and kept one as a spare.

I had a tough time working with the tab on the throttle end where the soldering was done. Couldn't figure out a way to pull the tab so removed the existing pad as is with some pulling force. Forced the new pads to go under the tab, wrapped them around and then soldered it directly on the pads. Like @starvich mentioned, the tusk pads are about an cm short so they don't wrap around completely. But I can live with it.

Thank you Aaron Little for the genius trick.

·
Registered
69 Posts
After reading this thread, it's comforting to know I'm not the only one who thinks the stock multi grip heaters don't put out a lot of heat. I thought my grips were defective. I have some Oxfords and a different brand on my other bikes, and I normally can't turn either of them all the way up because they put out so much heat. However, my Oxfords are starting to degrade in output after 7-8 hours of use on the highest setting while on a trip riding in 25 deg. F ambient weather cruising at 85 mph. Thank god for the Oxfords! They saved my hands.

Also great to know there is a cheap and easy solution to replacing the heating element on the multi.

Ducorama

·
Registered
126 Posts
Glad to hear the tusk heated grips are working as well. I've wired in a set of the oxford heated grips on my diavel strada and they also work great with the oem controls. I peeled apart my ducati oem grips after they failed and here's what I found...

The oxfords can be had on ebay for about USD$70. And here is what you can find on amazon for $8

Ducati should be doing better than this.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts