Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...after disconnecting and re-connecting my battery, my grips do not heat.
The display is normal.
Is there a "re-boot" necessary?

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,312 Posts
Are you allowing them time to heat?

Also would be a good idea to post what bike you are referring too so maybe we can, uhhhh, know what bike youre talking about.

We're here to serve :laugh:

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
...after disconnecting and re-connecting my battery, my grips do not heat.
The display is normal.
Is there a "re-boot" necessary?
what heated grip kit is on the bike, and how is it connected to it?

thanks,

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
--2012 Multistrada S
--OEM heated grips
--Time to heat: they worked fine until I disconnected the battery.

I had them set to Medium all the way to work the other morning (39 degrees); never generated a single BTU. Kicked up to High for the last five minutes--still nothing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have read in the 13 multi manual that heated grips will not operate below a set voltage so if you do not have the bike running the battery voltage drops and they may not work. This feature is to not drain the battery so other things work.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
--2012 Multistrada S
--OEM heated grips
--Time to heat: they worked fine until I disconnected the battery.

I had them set to Medium all the way to work the other morning (39 degrees); never generated a single BTU. Kicked up to High for the last five minutes--still nothing.
thanks....it could simply be the fuse.....i think the #2 position, 10 amp fuse......give it a check perhaps? i think on the 2012 the fuse box is located near/next to the battery.

when you have time, perhaps update your profile (or sig) to include your bike? ;)

regards,

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything I have read says that the grips are powered through the dash...the dash works, and gives the correct heated grip indications.

Checked the manual, no fuse for heated grips.

I had read in the past that the grips had to be enabled by the dealer, but only from new or when replacing the dash--neither is the case here.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have gone through 3 sets of Ducati heated grips on my 13 seems like they only last about 8-10K if you use them a lot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If it’s any consolation, I have experienced the same with my Multistrada 2012. Gone through 2 sets of OEM grips and now I’m just tired of changing them out. And it is correct, there is no fuse (which seems bezare really?) but it’s all fault isolated and controlled through the dash. Basically if the power source is too low it will switch them off, or if one or both of the grips has an impedance/resistance fault (like open circuit or short circuit) it will isolate until not sensed (changed to a serviceable set).

All I can say is Ducati must make the most crap heated grips ever because they never last for me longer than one season and yet I have had Oxford Grips on a Vstrom that last 130,000km and were still working when I sold the bike. I’m tempted to put oxford grips in place of OEM grips and splice the wires so that I can plug it into the dash control power source. But I’m unsure if the heater elements are of similar resistance and would work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I suspect that mine are toast. Unfortunate--before I bought the bike (18 Feb 18) I had read up a bit, and saw that some had troubles with the heated grips, but many seemed to think that if you don't use HIGH they will last. I never used HIGH but maybe the prior owner did...

I actually read a thread on ducatiforum.uk where someone had wired in the Oxfords and he said they worked fine. I'll pm you the thread (don't know if it's a no-no to post threads from other fora here).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, I suspect that mine are toast. Unfortunate--before I bought the bike (18 Feb 18) I had read up a bit, and saw that some had troubles with the heated grips, but many seemed to think that if you don't use HIGH they will last. I never used HIGH but maybe the prior owner did...

I actually read a thread on ducatiforum.uk where someone had wired in the Oxfords and he said they worked fine. I'll pm you the thread (don't know if it's a no-no to post threads from other fora here).

Your a champion mate, am going to give this a go - will reply to this post once I’ve got oxfords from eBay and got them spliced and up and running.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,290 Posts
Also had OEM heated grips crap out on the '12. Worked fine one day, dead as a doornail the next. Replaced a year ago under extended warranty.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I installed Oxfords on my 2015 because the OEM grips were nowhere near hot enough. I've been using them for over a year now and they are awesome. Quite warm and never had a problem with them. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Are you able to use the stock controls or did you have to add a separate controller for the Oxfords? Mine have been feeble from day 1 but my dealer isn't used to them working or people complaining about them here in So. Cal. We tried firing up another new Enduro model and it felt about the same as mine - feeble. I'm still under warranty so I just have to convince the dealer that they're not working as intended. But I'm figuring I'll likely have to go aftermarket route when they fail outside of warranty.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Are you able to use the stock controls or did you have to add a separate controller for the Oxfords? Mine have been feeble from day 1 but my dealer isn't used to them working or people complaining about them here in So. Cal. We tried firing up another new Enduro model and it felt about the same as mine - feeble. I'm still under warranty so I just have to convince the dealer that they're not working as intended. But I'm figuring I'll likely have to go aftermarket route when they fail outside of warranty.
When I complained to my dealer, they replaced the grips but the news ones were just as cold as the original. They then got the North America Ducati rep involved and in the end, they determined that the bike was working nominally. My guess is that they reduced the grip voltage because the previous gen was burning out too many grips.

I first tried the Oxford grips plugged into the OEM connectors and running off the dash but the heat performance was only marginally better than the OEM grips. I even got creative and tried to use a boost converter to draw more current out of the OEM wiring for the Oxford grips but as soon as the bike detected that, it shut me down quick (because I really wanted to use the OEM controls).

The best performance came when I used the Oxford controller with the Oxford grips. Now they are very warm and toasty. It doesn't bother me at all to have to use a separate controller because the heating performance is so much better than it was.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your a champion mate, am going to give this a go - will reply to this post once I’ve got oxfords from eBay and got them spliced and up and running.

Ok so I’m updating to this thread after having some time to read all the advise, do some quick testing of my own and get in the cheap parts.

If you have OEM heated grips already installed don’t do what I did first and strip the bike down to get under the tank to unplug the harness left and right to impedance check, instead roll back the rubber grip closest to the wire end to expose the heated grip underneath and particularly the two contact points where the wire lugs are rivet /soldered to the heater mat. With a multimeter set to ohms measure the resistance between the two contacts (make sure bike power is off). If you have a reading that is like 6-8 ohms or similar (basically not open circuit) that heated grip is good, however if you get an open circuit or very high resistance it’s kaput and as the sensing part of the heated grip cct needs both to be the correct continuity to actually turn on it will not provide power.

My cheap arse fix cost $7.81 including free postage from China ebay seller. That included the heater mats, electrical tape, heat shrink for keeping them in place wiring harness and switch.

I basically cut one heater mat with 1inch of wire harness from the harness, stripped and tinned the wires, removed old OEM heater mat from the grip (after rolling/sliding rubber over grip from bar) I left the two rivet contacts in place and added solder to them, then soldered new heater mat to contacts (one wire to each). Wrapped heater mat around bare grip, taped in place, heat shrinked over that and then replaced rubber grip. Took 15mins max to do. Works a treat and in all three heat settings through Ducati controller.

So just to repeat it took 3 mins to test grips for open cct, and 15 mins to replace one side (throttle side in my case) with a $7.81 heater grip mat from China. Longest part of this whole evolution was waiting 2 weeks for the part to turn up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for that.

I can see on the picture you posted that there is a two letter code at the end (CZ). Searching on eBay I could see numerous others with different codes (AG, LE, X4Q2 etc.). It's probably something stupid that isn't crossing my mind right now but do you have any idea what they stand for?

·
Registered
396 Posts
If it’s any consolation, I have experienced the same with my Multistrada 2012. Gone through 2 sets of OEM grips and now I’m just tired of changing them out. And it is correct, there is no fuse (which seems bezare really?) but it’s all fault isolated and controlled through the dash. Basically if the power source is too low it will switch them off, or if one or both of the grips has an impedance/resistance fault (like open circuit or short circuit) it will isolate until not sensed (changed to a serviceable set).

All I can say is Ducati must make the most crap heated grips ever because they never last for me longer than one season and yet I have had Oxford Grips on a Vstrom that last 130,000km and were still working when I sold the bike. I’m tempted to put oxford grips in place of OEM grips and splice the wires so that I can plug it into the dash control power source. But I’m unsure if the heater elements are of similar resistance and would work?

Does anybody have the electrical specs for the stock vs. aftermarket (e.g. Oxford) grips? Mine are not working but the dealer is having trouble with Ducati Central in even acknowledging the problem. I just want heated grips that work! Would love to find something that worked in place of the originals.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts