Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, with the new to me bike and my first winter coming, I decided I'd go for a heated jacket. As the honda dealer gave me a gift certificate for an original issue I had with the bike, I went ahead and used it for the only heated jacket that they had which was made by firstgear. Which fits into my main firstgear riding jacket nicely.

So, I'm trying to determine whether to go with firstgear heated gloves, which very conveniently plug into the jacket so the socket I have made already will make everything work...OR go with some heated grips.

The jacket has made it comfortable down to about 40 degrees but my hands were freezing at the end of a 32 mile freeway commute. I've had no experience with either which is why I'm asking the question.

Any recommendations??

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
my buddies like the gloves better than the grips. Remember, the heat has to penetrate the supposedly insulated glove to heat your hands, where it is a bit more direct with heated gloves. I also hear fingertips get chilly with the grips.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Gloves for anything other than short rides. Had them on my BM and thought they were a bit gimmicky as the palms stay warm anyway. Its the back of the hands that get cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,385 Posts
The grips do not keep the back of your hands warm they are just a nice feature and they do get Hot , but it is not a cure all...
I don't know about heated gloves , and have some BULKY cold weather gloves,

·
Registered
84 Posts
as a longtime BMW rider with heated grips, I looked at the grip heat solutions available for the st4s before buying heated gloves. I'm finding the gloves ( gerbings G3 ) superior in almost every way, the only thing you don't have is the versatility to get quick blast of heat in your spring/fall gloves before you bring the winter gear out...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
On a long run grips mess up the waterproof action of Gore-Tex too

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have tried both.A set of middle weight Gerbings and heated grips,both have pluses and minuses .
The plug and play of Gerbings gloves plugging into your vest is convenient.But I would assume the heat controller would control both,so if you wanted more heat to the gloves than the vest you couldnt do that.Plus you have to unplug/re-plug glove for tolls,fueling,etc.
The ST has a harness already installed behind the dash for a heated grip set-up.Just have to wire a switch and grip heaters to it ,an easy Saturday project.I use under grip heaters.Cheapie $20 Kymco/Kimpex,etc,.. from Amazon
I prefer this set up as I like the feel of lighter gloves,and gel grips.In only extreme weather,below freezing,would you need a heavier glove.A middleweight,goretex,waterproof glove is usually more than enough for very cold/wet conditions.
FWIW

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
A cold thumb sucks, but I don't have any other heated gear to plug into. Therefore, I'm happy to stick with heated grips. The ability to use them all year long is a big benefit. Generally any temp less than 60F including cool summer mornings, they are on.

If I had a heated jacket, which I don't find necessary as I am never cold in the torso no matter the temp, I do believe I would prefer heated gloves.

Very contradictory, I know.

The ultimate solution would be a heated 'wireless glove' that would make connection with the grip somehow for power. Kind of like a cell phone charging mat, but cooler. I mean hotter. =P

Have a good one.

·
Registered
395 Posts
depends on how cold I guess; also being a longtime BMW rider, I've found heated grips to work down to about freezing. When it's REALLY cold, the outside of my hands do get cold, but a highly windproof glove helps. Barkbusters (probably not something one would install on an ST) make all the difference though - I found I could use spring/fall gloves in subfreezing temps on an MTS1200, with the combination of heated grips and the windblocking effect of the "decorative" barkbusters, which proved their worth in the cold.

but heated grips are damned hard to beat. I can actually use my light summer gloves down to about 40 degrees. In very cold weather, I've found my BMW winter gloves to be bulky but sufficient if used with heated grips, as sweat from the hands will cool and sometimes even freeze in the insulation.

I'm sure heated gloves are toasty, but I can't be bothered with cords connecting all my clothes together. FWIW, a friend was describing his winter setup, and uses some kind of controller that can control the individual temps of each component. But it's very difficult to control while riding; it's apparently like a TV remote in your pocket.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
I have both heated gloves and grips. I'm using the Gerbing G3 gloves. Lately, I'm using them on my Harley, which does not have h.grips. Hands are OK warm in these gloves. Best if used on the DUC with h.grips. And, with these Gerbing brand, I'm plugged straight into the harness with no controller. I found that I was at 100% anyway, while using a controller. The controller would be better used on my h.grips (Hot Hands by Oxford, get them on eBay Oxford Hot Hands Heated Motorcycle Grips - webBikeWorld), and that's what I plan to do on the DUC.

A few reason's I went with Gerbing:
Lifetime warranty
Waterproof inner liner
Gauntlets are superior and have a great cinch strap
[edit]Complete with "battery" harness AND "Y" cord (that you wear) so that you can wire and wear same-day!
Out perform the Synergy brand glove that I had to return (for frozen thumbs!)

I pretty much needed some waterproof gloves anyway, so these function as my winter heated gloves, and summertime rain gear (albeit, a bit warm in warmer weather, even w/o them plugged in!).

I also waterproofed the leather with Nik Wax. Soggy leather didn't sound appealing at all...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a pair of Widder electric gloves; heating elements are on the top of the fingers. Found the Widder vest last year and the gloves/vest work well together. I had heated grips on the K1200LT but the gloves work best for warmth, IMHO.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it looks like I'll put the gloves on the christmas list.

I guess it's hard not to argue their simplicity. I just have to plug them into the end of the jacket.

A brisk 32 mile commute this am in 35 degree weather with a normal leather riding glove wasn't the smartest of moves. Gloves will be a must if I want to continue taking advantage of those clear winter days.

On a side note...the ride home tonight...smelling the fire places burning as I rode through the rural area before my house...man there's just nothing like a late fall motorcycle ride.

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
It was some excellent weather so far this week. It looks like it will be different tomorrow afternoon though. The ST eats it up though.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you have the type of jacket that is separately wired for gloves, you could get a dual heat controller and control your gloves and liner separately. I ride through the mountains all spring and fall with a Gerbings liner and gloves down to freezing or just below, and I always find I have the gloves turned up much higher than the liner. I don't know that I'd want a single control for both gloves and liner.

Jim

·
Registered
776 Posts
A brisk 32 mile commute this am in 35 degree weather with a normal leather riding glove wasn't the smartest of moves. Gloves will be a must if I want to continue taking advantage of those clear winter days.

On a side note...the ride home tonight...smelling the fire places burning as I rode through the rural area before my house...man there's just nothing like a late fall motorcycle ride.
There is no bad weather(short of snow and ice) in motorcycling,just inadequate gear.
I rode for years ,all seasons in NYC till I moved my bikes out of town to save money.With good gear should be no problem to ride all the time!
One sense you dont get in the cage,smell! Love that.:D

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
+1

if you have the type of jacket that is separately wired for gloves, you could get a dual heat controller and control your gloves and liner separately. I ride through the mountains all spring and fall with a gerbings liner and gloves down to freezing or just below, and i always find i have the gloves turned up much higher than the liner. I don't know that i'd want a single control for both gloves and liner.

Jim

·
Registered
162 Posts
A cold thumb sucks, but I don't have any other heated gear to plug into. Therefore, I'm happy to stick with heated grips. The ability to use them all year long is a big benefit.
I'm with you on this.

Without having a heated liner/vest to go with them, I would think having just the gloves would be rather awkward.

I've always heard that the heated gloves are the way to go as far as total warmth, but for me the flexibility of the heated grips is really appreciated - especially as you said, being able to use them to bolster warm-weather gloves for longer. (I'd much rather run my warm-weather gloves; more comfortable with loads more tactile feedback on the controls.)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Lots of good points made here.

I can't go without the heated grips. No wires to mess with (plugging into your heated liner) and you don't have to be wearing your liner. Also... The heated grips are always available. Unlike if you forget to bring/wear your heated gloves.

Just why I use the grips.
WW

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
I'm with you on this.

Without having a heated liner/vest to go with them, I would think having just the gloves would be rather awkward.

I've always heard that the heated gloves are the way to go as far as total warmth, but for me the flexibility of the heated grips is really appreciated - especially as you said, being able to use them to bolster warm-weather gloves for longer. (I'd much rather run my warm-weather gloves; more comfortable with loads more tactile feedback on the controls.)
Yeah. I can use my summer gloves down to the mid 40s with the grips. I believe the arteries (in coming blood) are on the palm side and veins (out flow) are on the back. So, grips still help keep your whole hand warm to an extent. I also believe my arms are somewhat warmer, but that would also happen with heated gloves.

I also like to carry at least two pair of gloves in the colder seasons. Around here you never know what weather you will hit or how often it will change.

Have a good one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts