Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

It's winter here in OZ and I want to fit heated grips to the ST2 & would like your advice on best choices.
What are you guys using?

Thanks in advance,

Craig

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
These may not be what you're after, but I really like the stock grips and was unwilling to swap them out for some of the cumbersome looking replacement heated grips. I use these: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/heated-motorcycle-grips/. They work very well and remove easily.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I installed a pair of Oxford Heaterz a couple of months ago and am very pleased. I took a trip to the Rockies in early June and they worked great. Should have done it years ago.

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
Many of us have used Dual Stars. I recommend the optional waterproof switch. If you have Ducati Designs headlights, there is a convenient place in the wiring harness to wire in the grips.

Be sure to insulate the left handle bar or you will lose a lot of heat through the aluminum bar.
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm

·
Registered
920 Posts
Many of us have used Dual Stars. I recommend the optional waterproof switch. If you have Ducati Designs headlights, there is a convenient place in the wiring harness to wire in the grips.

Be sure to insulate the left handle bar or use will lose a lot of heat through the aluminum bar.
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm
+1 on the Dual Star. I installed the round rocker switch on the black plastic under the gauges, but then I don't have the opportunity to ride in the rain very often. Fred

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys,

I looked up the Dual Star link and they are closed for holidays this week until the 6th.

They don't have a way to order online, they only have a phone number.

Any idea what the post would cost to OZ?

And are there any issues with the wires coming out of the element on the throttle side?
Have any of you got photos of your install?

On the 02 ST2 is there existing wiring/plug for heated grips?

Their instructions suggest wrapping the left handlebar with heat shrink to insulate it & in doing so they suggest using a throttle side grip, which asks another question of what sort of grip is good, are the cigar shaped foam style ones any good? It is suggested that they suit our hand shape better and are more comfortable.

Thanks,

Craig

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just use a generic kit that comes with the mylar heating element/switch/resistor and is pretty inexpensive. The mylar slips under your stock grip. They sell them here for snowmobiles. Try www.royaldistributing.com ....they're about $30 Cdn and you can order online.
Les

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
I installed a pair of Oxford Heaterz a couple of months ago and am very pleased. I took a trip to the Rockies in early June and they worked great. Should have done it years ago.
+1 I've used these for 2 full winters. You can see a pic in my gallery:

http://www.ducati.ms/gallery/showimage.php?i=4154&catid=member&imageuser=28162

There is no detectable (or measured) difference left to right on my set. The connection and wiring are very easy. You run them straight from the battery.

My ST came with the tape on variety and they were much less effective.

I beleive the Heaterz are called Hot Grips outside the US.

Have a good one.

·
Administrator
12,440 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
These might work for you... (pimping my for sale ad :D )
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=65830
Scott

Are these grips larger than stock and soft as well? Oxford style?

I've had to wrap my grips to increase the diameter. This really cuts down on the effective warmth. I currently have the stick on type under stock grips.

Why do so many people think California is always warm. Yes we get snow in the upper elevations just like most places.

·
Administrator
12,440 Posts
The are a little thicker and softer then the stock grips. Not sure what Oxford style is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great thread guys.. curious on the impact on the electricals.

I've recently learned that the alternator on my 96 916 puts out just enough juice to keep the systems already on the bike going (at 350watts). Wondering how these single phase alternators will support this.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
Most likely, when you are using the heated grips, you are not likely to need the radiator fan.

A couple LED turn signals could free up some load also.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I ran a set of Dualstar heated grips on my Monster for 3 years. They worked remarkably well for $30. Install was easy and took maybe 2 hours. My 2000 Monster has an auxiliary loop built into the wiring harness specifically for extra goodies like heated grips. All in all, the Dualstars were money well spent.

However, I have a set of Oxford Hotgrips on my ST3 which I installed early this spring. The Oxford Hotgrips get quite a bit hotter than the Dualstar heated grips. In fact I've never run the Oxford grips at 100% heat for more than 10mins at a time. Also prefer the thicker-than-stock Oxford grips which fit my hands better.

I prefer the variable heat dial on the Oxford system to the junky Dualstar Hi-Low toggle which needs to be mounted into a fairing. Also - and this is for the newer bikes with fancier (read: scary to tamper with) wiring harnesses - it was nice to run the grips directly off the battery for ease of install. The Oxford grips are supposed to shut off automatically when they detect a low amperage from the battery. Never tried that, but it's a nice feature if you forget to shut them off.

However, in my opinion the best way to keep hands (and body) warm is a combination of hand guards to keep the wind off, warm gloves, a heated vest to keep the core warm so blood circulates to the extremities, and heated grips. Those things keep me warm on well rides into December here in Nova Scotia.
:D

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Markus, good comparative write up. Gives me some options to consider, I like the idea of the bigger grips, but I'm not a fan of the Oxfords styling, however they may grow on me.

Craig

·
Registered
209 Posts
i advise a word of caution in dealing with dual star. take a look at www.thumpertalk.com, customer service seems to be joke. i tried to order a center stand for my dr650 and could only get a dead end on the phone, never got to talk to anyone nor was i able to place an order. seems i am not alone.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i advise a word of caution in dealing with dual star. take a look at www.thumpertalk.com, customer service seems to be joke. i tried to order a center stand for my dr650 and could only get a dead end on the phone, never got to talk to anyone nor was i able to place an order. seems i am not alone.
Thanks dr1445,

I got the same impression from their amateur website.

Craig

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
However, in my opinion the best way to keep hands (and body) warm is a combination of hand guards to keep the wind off, warm gloves, a heated vest to keep the core warm so blood circulates to the extremities, and heated grips. Those things keep me warm on well rides into December here in Nova Scotia.
:D
IMO, the heat source from the grips seems to help keep my arms and core happy.

It isn't as cold here, but my only changes for winter riding is heavier gloves, a waterproof overcoat, and a balaclava. These seem to work well in the wet and good down into the 20s (F) when dry.

BTW, good comparo on the two styles.

Have a good one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts