Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone's different but, at what temperture range do you find heated gear usefull? 30's 40's 50's ?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Anything in the 40s and I have mine on.It allows you to dress lighter which I find way more comfortable and safer.
Years ago without the vest and heated grips I'd have so much stuff on it was hard to move freely.
The good thing with a vest is it does not take up a lot of room and it does not have to be on all the time.
Mark , in the Great White North

·
Registered
920 Posts
This will be my first winter with a heated vest, hooked it up last weekend.

Last year, anything below 40F I was suffering! This year I can't wait to try it out. It seems the older I get, the less tolerant I am with extreme temps. Fred

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'll put it on in the lower 50's if it is misting, raining, windy, or even just cloudy. Once it hits the mid 40's I'll throw the insulation into my jacket too. But I'm just a skinny little guy and I don't retain heat all that well so your mileage may vary. I'd just experiment and do what works best for myself if I were you.

·
19,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying. I'm getting up there in years and the circulation isn't great. I get cold easily and being a southern boy just plain don't like being cold. Sounds like it would be a good investment.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I take my jacket liner with me unless it's full bore summer because it's always cooler in the mountains. Once you get warmed up with electric gear you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It is worth the investment if you plan on riding anything in or below 40s. I have a jacket, gloves and socks. As long as it is dry I am able to ride in comfort.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You will find you will not have to adjust or change clothes as much. I live on the coast where the temps swing 50 F within 20 miles. I have heated grips and a heated seat, those keep me comfortable most of the time, the vest gets turned on below 40F. With heated grips, seat and vest I have ridden in low 30s and still comfortable. Get an electronic thermostat which is easier on your charging system and more efficent.

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,451 Posts
I imagine anything under 50 or 55 degrees would be beneficial, but I wouldn't know...I don't own any gear that is heated.

I wear full leathers and have a sweatshirt under the leathers for anything under 55, but I still wear shorts down to the mid-30's. On rare occasions, I may have a T-shirt, long-sleeve shirt, and then the sweatshirt, but I still wear only shorts. I generally will not ride when it is freezing or below. My wife, on the other hand, starts layering clothes when it drops below 70. She probably could use some heated gear. :D

·
19,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get an electronic thermostat which is easier on your charging system and more efficent.
Any experience with the unit that comes with Tourmaster gear?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Any experience with the unit that comes with Tourmaster gear?

If you are refering to the Tourmaster Synergy controller, yes. Many failures have been reported in the equipment section of advrider.com. Mine failed less than one year after purchase and was replaced by the retailer (Iron Pony) at no cost. I am not sure I would trust the Synergy gear on a big trip such as Alaska.

Jeff in Colorado

·
19,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
8,749 Posts
Gerbings is what I'm familiar with, great stuff.
+1 on Gerbings, once I got the jacket and heated gloves, as others have said, you wonder how you went without before. I like the freedom of movement and heat control the gear gives you. You don't have to haul around layered clothing. I'm not set up yet for keeping my feet warm, but that will be next. Keeping my torso and hands warm is the key, start from the core. I remember the day or two before I bought the heated gear, I took a ride in cold weather on my new Multi and it felt like my fingers were going to fall off. Enough of that, I went out and got the gear and it changed everything. Its like getting solar heating for your pool, extends the riding season.

·
19,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone. Appreciate it. And especially you Chuck for not moving it :)

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Thank you Bill. I went ahead and ordered the TM jacket liner with the pigtail BMW Adaptet cable. Do you think that will be long enough to reach the outlet under the seat?
You will just have to try it to make sure. I had to order an extension, but I think it was for the gloves, not the jacket. If I recall correctly, the jacket's controler is attached to the left leg via an elastic strap and the cable is long enough to plug into the power outlet, which is also on the left side of the bike.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I purchased a coiled 6' extension to connect my Synergy jacket to the accessory outlet (w/ a coaxial to Powerlet adapter) on my ST4s. It allows for easy mounting and dismounting (of the bike) and allows me to refuel without unplugging. www.cyclemaxohio.com

1 - 20 of 33 Posts