Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on fitting various bits and pieces of ST4 fairings that have either been bought in or repaired. There are significant mis-matches in fit. The holes are ok, but the fitting angles are causing stress on the fixing bolts.

This is particularly noticeable between the mid and bottom fairings on both sides.

An old school Ducati mate of mine said set it up firm on the bolts, not tight, and use a heat gun, hair drier, to heat the fairings up so they can get into shape.

It will be resprayed down the track, so I'm not worried about the paint.

Is there any truth in this, and if so any advice??

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Recently one of our members said the same procedure could be used to make a stock 1990s 900SS front fender fit with a 130mm front tire. Shove a shop rag between the tire and the fender to create a bit of space between the two, then heat the fender until it conforms with the lift created by the shop rag. Allow the fender to cool with the rag in place, once cooled and the rag is removed the fender will then clear the larger front tire.

I've no idea if the stock front fender from a 1990s era 900SS is made of the same material as the fairings you spoke of. But if they are, it seems they may respond to using a small amount of heat to reshape them a little bit.

Maybe?

:)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's taking a lot of work, and thinking, and beer, but I am slowly getting there.

Trying to get all the fairing components to fit without tension is not easy. I've carved out the foam around the battery, relocated the starter solenoid, and it all fits perfectly until I put the "V"piece in at the bottom front of the motor.

The "V" piece is just not the right shape.....

Regards, Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts