Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone successfully modified the heat shield to move it in towards the exhaust? If so, how?

If I get the mid pip ceramic coated, would it be possible to run without the shield? Without melting my boot?

BTW, I've already put longer pegs on and the shield still interferes. I'm going to space out the right peg assembly too but I still want to loose that heat shield.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Has anyone successfully modified the heat shield to move it in towards the exhaust? If so, how?

If I get the mid pip ceramic coated, would it be possible to run without the shield? Without melting my boot?

BTW, I've already put longer pegs on and the shield still interferes. I'm going to space out the right peg assembly too but I still want to loose that heat shield.
The ceramic coating will not be enough to prevent your boots from melting. My ceramic coated monster high pipes still burned my boots.

We did this on our high system.

You can cut off the bracket and replace the cover with
CF Exhaust Guard: 749/999

weld some mounts onit or just attach it with the
Corse Exhaust Cover Mounts.

I have not tried this with the stock mid pipe--but the front pipe with CF cover pictured is the original pipe.

-M

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I fitted some spacers to the rearset as my previous posts, plus got a carbon heatshield.
It flexes & as such you can now get your foot straight, and dont feel the heatguard

·
Registered
188 Posts

Yes my mechanic at the dealer did it for me and I watched. Take the heat shield of and there is a y bracket that the two lower bolts screw into (the two holes in the shield have clips on which the screws go into and you should remove the top one). Take a hammer and bend both of the Y pieces closer to the pipe. The bottom one will still line up but the top one wont but with the shield on mark with a center punch where the new hole should be. Drill that hole then remove about half inch of the bracket with an angle grinder to remove the old hole. This allows the clip that goes over the hole to go over the new hole. Replace shield and you are done, you cannot put your finger between the and the pipe anymore and the gap is about 3 mm). He also put some spacers on the rear set to ring that peg out a little. Is it hotter on my boot? No not at all even after a long ride but it sure is more comfortable. Hope this helps.........

·
Registered
188 Posts

Yes my mechanic at the dealer did it for me and I watched. Take the heat shield of and there is a y bracket that the two lower bolts screw into (the two holes in the y bracket have clips on which the screws go into and you should remove the top one). Take a hammer and bend both of the Y pieces closer to the pipe. The bottom one will still line up but the top one wont but with the shield on mark with a center punch where the new hole should be. Drill that hole then remove about half inch of the bracket with an angle grinder to remove the old hole. This allows the clip that goes over the hole to go over the new hole. Replace shield and you are done, you cannot put your finger between the and the pipe anymore and the gap is about 3 mm). He also put some spacers on the rear set to ring that peg out a little. Is it hotter on my boot? No not at all even after a long ride but it sure is more comfortable. Hope this helps.........

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes my mechanic at the dealer did it for me and I watched. Take the heat shield of and there is a y bracket that the two lower bolts screw into (the two holes in the y bracket have clips on which the screws go into and you should remove the top one). Take a hammer and bend both of the Y pieces closer to the pipe. The bottom one will still line up but the top one wont but with the shield on mark with a center punch where the new hole should be. Drill that hole then remove about half inch of the bracket with an angle grinder to remove the old hole. This allows the clip that goes over the hole to go over the new hole. Replace shield and you are done, you cannot put your finger between the and the pipe anymore and the gap is about 3 mm). He also put some spacers on the rear set to ring that peg out a little. Is it hotter on my boot? No not at all even after a long ride but it sure is more comfortable. Hope this helps.........
Found a pic I took, it shows the Y bracket being modified........

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Anyone ever notice the space between the swing arm and the rear cylinder header? It's like freaking 2". It should have been closer in, and then rotate the exit Y outward. Sounds like a full exhaust fab, but it should have been tighter to begin with!

·
Registered
610 Posts
The Termi guys fab up an exhaust system, then sends it to production. Once there they find out it's to time consuming and costly to create a tight bend, so the exhaust gets pushed out and ultimately the end product suffers.

In their eyes if this is only thing people don't like then they are still winners!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts