Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone wrapped the bottom of their airbox or tank with heat reflective shielding? Is/was that a performance mod that people did - to keep the air fuel mixture cool (and therefore more dense)? I'm just curious.

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,310 Posts
Never seen that particular mod done on an SS Scott but I have seen it done before. Look closely at pic 1 and you'll see that not only is the airbox completely shielded but the fuel lines and underside of the fuel tank are also shielded as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
I am not sure how much benefit you would see, I know there is a benefit to keeping the fuel cooler buy simply adding reflective tape shielding may not get the job done enough to make a change. IIRC there are car setups where a coolant (ice) is added for a temporary benefit but that is not much help in the real world. That said I see no harm in trying it as long as the shielding/tape does not also hold heat into the system in which case it would work as a benefit until the bike heats fully and then you would be keeping the heat in instead of allowing it to cool.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I haven't seen it done to a Ducati, but I remember it from somewhere long ago. (I started riding in the early '90s and then stopped until six or seven years ago.) I may try it the next time I have everything apart just for fun.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Check your air box temp after a brisk ride to evaluate whether it’s getting warm enough to raise internal air temperature. My guess is that air flow between the air box and front head keeps the temperature down at speed. Fuel lines being heated by the rear head enough to make a difference in fuel temperature is a possibility, but with a fuel pump constantly keeping the fuel moving regardless of demand that probably only happens under extreme conditions. I’ve tried to keep the fuel line away from the head, but it’s virtually impossible as far as I can see. If anyone has a solution, please let me know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts