Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up with the heat insulation pad on later model 1000DS SS'? I've seen a few posts saying owners removed it but it's obviously there for a reason, right?

Splain it to me, Lucy! :confused:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Where is this heat insulation situated?

Is it the insulation on the inside of the fairing? If so, this is for sound deadening and not heat.

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where is this heat insulation situated?

Is it the insulation on the inside of the fairing? If so, this is for sound deadening and not heat.
It's attached to the inside of the panel. I came across an NOS (as in literally on a dealer's shelf and never used) panel a while back and discovered that the insulation was intact but in fact had dry rotted. Seems kind of flimsy, too and an unusual thing to place so close to the engine.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
They call it planned obsolescence. Any idea how long since it was manufactured ? Count the mouse turds on it and multiply by 9 for a rough estimate. They have better materials if you want to make your own, check the car racer catalogs.

Reactions: DucMyPants

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
Unless it is the silver foil type near the exhaust it should be the black foam type and as mentioned that has nothing to do with heat it is there to absorb noise. Similarly found under the fuel tank on many bikes and just like the rubber pucks in your cylinder fins, too tall stock gearing and rubber gasket under the clutch cover it is all attempts to quiet the bikes down for a mandated sound test and nothing more.

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They call it planned obsolescence. Any idea how long since it was manufactured ? Count the mouse turds on it and multiply by 9 for a rough estimate. They have better materials if you want to make your own, check the car racer catalogs.
Mouse turds? WTF? I hope I didn't have to pay extra for 'em.

Unless it is the silver foil type near the exhaust it should be the black foam type and as mentioned that has nothing to do with heat it is there to absorb noise. Similarly found under the fuel tank on many bikes and just like the rubber pucks in your cylinder fins, too tall stock gearing and rubber gasket under the clutch cover it is all attempts to quiet the bikes down for a mandated sound test and nothing more.
I've never owned an air cooled Ducati so this thing about sound abatement is totally new to me. In my case it's the black foam type and I'd hate to see it when it gets wet....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts