Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil Cooler Chaffing / Interference With Lower Fairing, 2005 ST-3, 3900 miles,

Hey ST-ers,

New bike to me, a couple of months old, I removed the fairings to install some graphite inlets, do the filter, screen, oil change thing and generally familiarize myself with the bikes workings and came across what I would consider some serious chaffing between the lower fairing and the oil cooler. See pics.

Didn’t put a depth mike or dial depth gauge to the worn surface but looks like it’s about .025 deep. The worn area is on both sides of the oil coolers “ end caps”. If this were an FAA incident there would be a hardcore ring the bell and park the jets scenario. I ended up filing the fairings at the chaff spot and putting some heat resistant non-slip tape over the oil cooler end caps.

Have a look at your bikes, Oil cooler mounted up top with bolts, lower fairing “tab” fits into lower end of oil cooler all with compression or tension from motor oil lines that causes the chaffing between oil cooler and lower fairing. Bikes engineering is immaculate overall, must have laid this interference detail out on CAD on a Friday afternoon during World Cup weekend!

Found this post from a bit ago concerning similar subject (check out last entry) didn’t look like it went to far concerning the fairing chaffing! http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=45170&highlight=oil+cooler

Hope this keeps you going…
Regards

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
I noticed on my 03 4s this week, that the oil cooler and the lower fairing are not matching up, the little peg is not going into the whole. I tried to gently bend it into place but no dice. I figured everything was fine as is and left it alone.

Yes my lower fairing piece also has some marks on it.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Nice catch, mine is silver on silver so it would be more difficult to see, but I'll check it out tonight.

Can you pull the oil cooler back towards the engine, and give the fairing some clearance or just dremel some of the back side of the fairing off to clear the cooler?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The answer is no, Its not the greatest set-up.
If you check the pic of the back side of the fairing you can see a small post molded into the fairing bottom.
This post fits into the grommet-ed hole on the bottom of the oil cooler so that distance from oil cooler to fairing is locked in to some degree.

My gut is since the oil cooler can pivot on its two upper mounting bolts based on pressure from the oil lines and the fairing will never be totally static, the two surfaces (oil cooler face and edge of fairing) will never be parallel with a uniform clearance between the two surfaces.

Dremel is cool be careful though how deep you go as you might have a cosmetic issue, I think the best bet even though I filed my fairing also is to put a material in between to prevent contact with the oil cooler.

Hope this helps.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts