Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a pair of Bulbs which I am wondering if I can just replace my old factory ones with these new ones. I have also been reading other forums based on the same topics. HID. Which I am even more confused now.

I guess I will need to buy these other HID with the Ballast, that has been mentioned here in different Posts? Here are the specs for the ones I have. If anyone here can tell me weather I can use these Bulbs or return them, will be much appreciated. Or if I just buy a Ballast and attach these bulbs?

PIAA-Powersports Bulbs. Super Plasma GT-X. H3 55w-110w Bluis Purple Light
1.) PN70375 2.) H-384SE 3.) H3 12W 55W=110W 4.) 5000 Kelvin
This is for a 2004 999 Red

I definetely don't want to fry my ECU.
Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
846 Posts
i ran piaa's on my 748 and was un impressed by their poor luminosity. simply put they dont work well and imho care dangerous for night riding.

on my 749 i used true hid's, ballast and all.

there's a thread somewhere around here where i list the company in canada that i got my mini hid sets from. i highly recommend you go that route.

also consider mod'ing the hi beam so it runs concurrently with your lo beam for better visibility.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Doc. I figured that was the case. I will try and return them, but as it was purchased while back, I am not sure they will take it back.

I have also saved some post here about HID's and links where to buy it from. So I will just do that in the uture.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
There are some issues with HID's and your stock wiring. The most significant issue I have found is the poor hot-start capability of HID lights. Your 999 normally shifts power from one of the head lights to the other when shifting from High-beam to Low-beam. If left as supplied, you may experience significant periods of darkness when you change from high to low or back.

If you are going to use HID you pretty much must do the mod that keeps the low beam "always-on". Even at that I don't recommend HID for the high beam side if your driving environment finds you shifting to and from high-beam very much!

·
Super Moderator
8,222 Posts
Doing the HID conversion on the lowbeam would be a good idea if you do the conversion to "always" have the low beam on regardless off what your doing with your highbeam.

There are tons of HID kits out there, just pick one that has a proven trackrecord. You bike is running a pretty conventional setup on the wiring, so doing the upgrade should be simple enough if you have some experience with bike and car electrics.

The other way is to replace your bulbs with brighter ones.
On my car I´m running Osram Nightbreakers which are very good H7 bulbs (but availble in other models aswell). I´m not sure on what the 999 uses for bulbs.

I havent heard much about PIAA.. I know some discussions have said they burn out to quick, but I´m NOT in the know on them.

What bulbs does the 999 use anyway?

//amullo

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Brian and amullo

Thanks for the info. So in the future, if I do get HID, I will remember to keep my Low Beams always on. I guess I will figure it out when I get to that point. For now, I know I will have to change my Brake Pads on Sat. Ducati NY were gonna do it on Friday, but I got there real late. So I might as well do them myself.

As far as HID's go, with the Ballast and all. How does that effect the Battery? I know that Ducati's are notorious for battery power. I am already running Power Commander and also Scorpio Alarm system. I just had to purchase a new battery due to not starting for periods of weeks.

If I install the HID system, won't that overload my battery?

Thanks.
mikebike

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks for the info. So in the future, if I do get HID, I will remember to keep my Low Beams always on. I guess I will figure it out when I get to that point. For now, I know I will have to change my Brake Pads on Sat. Ducati NY were gonna do it on Friday, but I got there real late. So I might as well do them myself.

As far as HID's go, with the Ballast and all. How does that effect the Battery? I know that Ducati's are notorious for battery power. I am already running Power Commander and also Scorpio Alarm system. I just had to purchase a new battery due to not starting for periods of weeks.

If I install the HID system, won't that overload my battery?

Thanks.
mikebike
The HID will not overload the battery it will put a load on the harness. It does require more current when the bulb fist comes on. Although ppl have done this (connecting directly to the harness) before it is recommended to run the power directly from the battery to the ballast using a relay rather than directly from the harness. Some xx8 bikes are know to have frail harnesses. YMMV With regards to your battery it probably died because it was old or poorly maintained. Get a battery tender or some other trickle charger and you will be just fine. Also check that your alternator is giving enough juice to the battery ... Although you should be fine on that.

Migrane.

·
Super Moderator
8,222 Posts
As a further point..
Once a HID/Xenon bulb is LIT, they draw less then your stock bulb.

//amullo

·
Registered
234 Posts
So in the future, if I do get HID, I will remember to keep my Low Beams always on. I guess I will figure it out when I get to that point.
Thanks.
mikebike
One simple way to leave the low beam on while using the high beam is to remove the light switch and add a detent between the high and low position detents where the ball and spring engage. I used my soldering gun tip to melt a new detent into the plastic.
Once done you can select Low, Low and High, or High.;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. For now I am saving all these info that I got from all of u. Much appreciated. I am planning to get the HIDs and ballast and all, in the future.

But for now I am psyched to be able to pick up my bike today and hopefully get some riding done before it starts snowing in couple months. Haven't been able to do much riding this year.

Thanks again and will keep u all posted here once I get the lights.
mikebike

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are some of the links that I had saved. I am not sure if this are the ones in Canada with the mini HIDs. But I found these here on Ducati.ms

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=61694&highlight=headlights&page=2

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=71351

http://www.cqlight.ca/product_info.php?cPath=34_57&products_id=79

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Duca...ies?hash=item53dc3d6b69&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

http://www.vvme.com/contact_us.html?zenid=ooqet8v2fd8rui8adcl44mjh2b97qh5m

This last one is in USA and also China. Which I don't know if I would buy anything from China.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
A quick and easy alternative, as mentioned before, is to use a standard yet more highly efficient replacement bulb. I swapped out the stock H4 in my Monster for a Sylvania Silverstar unit and the difference was almost embarrassing in that I couldn't believe I went that long before making the upgrade!
Since, I've installed these bulbs in pretty much everything I own.
They're inexpensive, readily available at your local Advance or other parts house, easy to install, and don't reqire any modifications to the existing harness (to do an HID properly/claenly it will be necessary).

I have full HIDs installed on my BMW R1100S and they are really nice, but the install was tedious, especially to find a reasonable place for the ballasts and permanent mods were necessary to the harness. Additionally, when I had to find replacement bulbs once, it wasn't easy to come across them immediately and they were over $100 for the pair ... yes, they do burn out!

Just my .02.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts