Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening Gentleman,

In the process of changing all of the bulbs in my instrument lights to LED i noticed my headlight stopped switching from high to low. It worked initially. But now it doesn't. Does anyone have any idea where to start?

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Nope. Never had any problems like that with mine when I converted it. Just the low-fuel warning (has to retain the OEM bulb), and the diodes for the indicator.

Weellll... Check that you haven't pulled a plug apart anywhere. Even if the high beam indicator or light on indicator bulbs are not installed, the light should work.

While you're in there behind the headlight - it's a good time to wire in a couple of relays, and some heavy wiring run from the battery (through a fuse) direct to the relays and lights. The improvement in light output is well worth it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am actually in the process of wiring up a relay system with an HID.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Good Evening Gentleman,

In the process of changing all of the bulbs in my instrument lights to LED i noticed my headlight stopped switching from high to low. It worked initially. But now it doesn't. Does anyone have any idea where to start?
So you have high, but no low when you flick the switch?

If so, have you checked the bulb?

Also, you can go to User CP and edit your signature so it has 2001 750SS included in every post you make.
Similarly you can add your location via User CP, Edit your details, then Additional information.
Just makes things a bit simpler.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i apologies for my stupidity. It would appear that not only did i mount the bulb upside down. But i was infront of the motorcycle well i was trying to turn on my high beam so i was actually pressing the starter button... Hid installed properly and high beam functions. So they use a magnetic slide on the HID to go into high position, it works alright but i'll probably never use high. I'll post pictures if people are intreste.

Reactions: Punch

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
So i apologies for my stupidity. It would appear that not only did i mount the bulb upside down. But i was infront of the motorcycle well i was trying to turn on my high beam so i was actually pressing the starter button... Hid installed properly and high beam functions. So they use a magnetic slide on the HID to go into high position, it works alright but i'll probably never use high. I'll post pictures if people are intreste.
Yes please re pictures. A HID for mine is one of the things I have thought of from time to time...

Reactions: benjiface

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The build

I put the HI/LO module ontop of the air box, i mounted the ballast on my right fender. I ground the system to the chassis screw for the gas tank cushion. I changed my parking light and my taillight for 1,000 lumen LEDs. I also put a brighter LED for neutral because i had a hard time seeing it when the sun was shinning on my console. The HI/LO function seems kind of useless. But it doesn't seem like it would blind passing drivers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Did you fit a projector unit into your headlight, or use a H4 HID bulb?

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
The HI/LO function seems kind of useless.
Been there, done that and took it out. I now use slave relays and large wires direct to the battery. Not as bright as HID, but very good.

The usual thing with the HIDs that use an electromagnet to move from Lo to Hi is that the arc is positioned fairly well for the low beam optics, but the electromagnet does not move the arc to the correct spot for the high beam optics.

Also the weight of the bulb assembly can make the low beam arc position incorrect, so a bit hit and miss.
The arc inside the glass "nodule" itself can also be away from the sweet spot, further making it crap.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Been there, done that and took it out. I now use slave relays and large wires direct to the battery. Not as bright as HID, but very good.

The usual thing with the HIDs that use an electromagnet to move from Lo to Hi is that the arc is positioned fairly well for the low beam optics, but the electromagnet does not move the arc to the correct spot for the high beam optics.

Also the weight of the bulb assembly can make the low beam arc position incorrect, so a bit hit and miss.
The arc inside the glass "nodule" itself can also be away from the sweet spot, further making it crap.
I.ve also been there with the Bi Xenon HID and agree with Punch 100%.it's crap.Useable low beam to a point and high just scattered.Now have a projector mounted in the headlight using a HID bulb.That works.

Regards Bill

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Will do.Give me a day or so.Want a headlight pattern on a wall too?
Everything!

No panic though as I have plenty of work and bike stuff to do.

I still dream of twin headlights, but have not found a suitable donor as yet.
That is a nice to, not need to.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
I.ve also been there with the Bi Xenon HID and agree with Punch 100%.it's crap.Useable low beam to a point and high just scattered.Now have a projector mounted in the headlight using a HID bulb.That works.

Regards Bill
That's pretty much what I got trialling a LED H4. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/397033-headlight-upgrades.html The low beam was great - but the incorrect position of the high beam light generation, meant that there was a big (BIG) angular difference between the low beam and the high beam - so if the low beam was adjusted correctly, high beam was in the trees. If the high beam was set correctly (a real hassle), then low beam (which stays on all the time) was a bright pool, directly in front of me, and too low/close on it's own, and also caused a load of light glare/flare on my visor.
For now, I'm running a 80/100W halogen, through relays and heavy wiring (as Punch suggests), and a replacement non Ducati H4 socket. No melting problems!

I'm aware of a number of different designs of LED H4 bulbs, which generate light in different positions, so there may be one that works correctly.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Everything!

No panic though as I have plenty of work and bike stuff to do.

I still dream of twin headlights, but have not found a suitable donor as yet.
That is a nice to, not need to.
Will attempt to get this done tomorrow.May even throw in a couple of pics of my SSie

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ok,Pictures as requested.It was difficult to give a true indication of the beam on the road,but the garage door shot should give an idea.If you need more let me know.Also have a LED T/L,Licence Light,Day(Park)Light,Dash Bulbs and Warning Ligts Except for Low Fuel and Turn Indicater.And just threw in a Shorai this Spring.

Attachments

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
That looks very good, especially the low beam pattern on the garage door.

I wonder if they do a version for driving on the left as in the UK, Oz, NZ, Japan and many other countries, where the low beam pattern is opposite to your image.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That looks very good, especially the low beam pattern on the garage door.

I wonder if they do a version for driving on the left as in the UK, Oz, NZ, Japan and many other countries, where the low beam pattern is opposite to your image.
I got mine from the https://www.theretrofitsource.com/. My projector is(I think,been awhile) Morimoto Mini D2S 3.0 though an older version.This is part of a kit though you can purchase them individually.It also shows availability for left hand and right hand drive in both square and round versions.When i purchased mine only round was available,I think you can also find them on that auction site.
The staff there are very helpful and have no issues with answering your questions
With my setup I used the ballast and relay pack from the original Bixenon kit and then purchased a different bulb.I don't remember exactly which bulb ,but I do have the information some where.
Hope this helps.

Regards Bill

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Many thanks Bill.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts