Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2012 MTS 1200 and both low beams are dead.

Did some looking and found that the low beam relay is a failure point. Swapped out the low and high beam relays, no joy.
Then flicked the switch and felt both relays click. Hmmmm...

Checked one of the bulbs (which I should have done in the first place)--fried. Haven't pulled the other one yet, but I'm betting both are burnt.

Most of the modern bikes I've owned either use H4 (high and low beam in one bulb, three prongs) or an H11 (separate low and high beam bulbs,
two prongs)

So...are these bulbs H11s? And does the bulb come apart from the base/socket like some do?

Looking on eBay, Amazon, etc...bazillions of bulbs, but no part numbers. Guess I can disassemble it again and take one with me, but this is such a simple question I figured I'd ask it here.

Thanks in advance, Rich

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I almost bought a set of H11s this evening.
Figured I'd make sure first.

Best regards, Rich

·
Super Moderator
8,239 Posts
Thank you. I almost bought a set of H11s this evening.
Figured I'd make sure first.

Best regards, Rich
Might want to see my thread when I test diffrent bulbs out. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/660393-better-lights-10-13-mts1200.html

But Yes. They are H11 in both low and highbeam.

If you want abit more OOmph on the highbeam without going Locco with HIDs and crap like that, I Highly recommend getting some H9 bulbs and cutting the excess off as shown below. BUT they can ONLY go in the highbeam, since they will glare oncoming Traffic due to the fact that they lack the "hat". Or rather that the top of the bulb hasnt been shielded. The H11 is rated at 1500 lumens, while the H9 does 2200 lumens for only 10w more draw. Dont last as long, only about 1/3 vs the H11. a tradeoff between lumens and longevity.
See: https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/t/...lamps-of-corolla-post-2009-model-shape/201670

Note: IPF just released an new LED bulb in H11 with dual colour. You can have cold White (6500K) or deep yellow (2400K) from the same H11 LED bulb! I´ve ordered a set, more info to come!

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
You got a link for the IPF's that you recommend? THanks @amullo

·
Super Moderator
8,239 Posts
You got a link for the IPF's that you recommend? THanks amullo
The new dual colours are just coming out of production. A friend of mine works at Rindab (the European agent for IPF) so he is hooking me up.
If you wants those, your going to have to get in touch with an IPF or ARB dealer (Same Company)
The ones I´m running now are the 12w LED Foglight version and you can get them on amazon or through any ARB dealer aswell. Availble in 2400K yellow, 5000K and 6500K Cold white
IPF H8 H11 H16 LED FOG BULBS (101FLB)

Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/IPF-Japan-Light-Powerful-2700LM/dp/B010NKRUMC

For my 2c, I´d call an ARB dealer and ask abouth the new IPF H11 foglight conversion with dual colour. They are going to be brighter then the 12w version, but they might need to speak to ARB USA about ordering a set from Japan direct. Or I can ask my buddy to hook you up and send through post. A set will probably run $200, but dont skimp. These things are the Lexus of the bulb world.
If your looking to match the led runninglight on the MTS, then 6500K is the one to go for. My 5000K is a little too yellow.

Let me know if you have any trouble.
Here are the bulbs on IPF´s English website. They also make a low Power H4 version for your Hypermotard you know.. :grin2:
///IPF | PRODUCTS

Reactions: complexCarlo

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
@amullo

Im assuming they come as a pair for $200?

I would be in for a pair for the stroodle in 6500 white and a single 2400 dark yellow for the Hyper.

I noticed they have female connectors. Safe to assume they plug right up to the OE harness? H11

Just making sure that I dont order the wrong one.

Is the Hypermotard also a standard H11 bulb? Just wondering. Thanks!

edit: I dont think they offer in single bulbs. Fine by me. Think I found a pair of both sets. Prob put in my soon since it takes a month or so to get to US.

·
Super Moderator
8,239 Posts
@amullo

Im assuming they come as a pair for $200?

I would be in for a pair for the stroodle in 6500 white and a single 2400 dark yellow for the Hyper.

I noticed they have female connectors. Safe to assume they plug right up to the OE harness? H11

Just making sure that I dont order the wrong one.

Is the Hypermotard also a standard H11 bulb? Just wondering. Thanks!

edit: I dont think they offer in single bulbs. Fine by me. Think I found a pair of both sets. Prob put in my soon since it takes a month or so to get to US.
Yeah. I paid 1400SEK, which is about USD $180 for a pair. They only come in pairs AFAIK, which is a problem for the HYM that I believe uses H4, not H11..
Make sure that the bulb will fit aswell Before ordering a set for the HYM. The meassurments are all on their English website. They do a non-fan compact version in H4 which is pretty good. Not sure its availble in yellow though..

Plugging in is easy peasy. Connector is plug and play and the MTS doesnt have any fancy canbus warning or stuff like that, just plug in and go. Takes more time to get the plastic of then to exchange the bulb.

This is H11 12W fog 6500K, just like the one I have in my bike (save for the fact that I have 5000K). Perfect fit for the MTS1200 that uses H11 lowbeam.
BEWARE! If you decide to fit these LEDs to the highbeam, you will no longer be able to lock the steering in the bike.
https://www.amazon.com/IPF-bulb-650...e=UTF8&qid=1519736125&sr=1-4&keywords=ipf+h11

For the HYM, I would look at this bulb. IPF´s 18w H4 compact model. BUT as you can see, it does stick out abit, so you might want to hold off ordering untill you check how much space you have behind the bulb.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/IPF-Japan-...mpact-Type-2-pcs-Set-New-141HLB-/332150302588

Reactions: complexCarlo
1 - 8 of 8 Posts