Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an 00 ST2. As I was working on the bike I noticed that the headlamps were switched. The headlamp on the left came on when the bike was started and the one on the right turns on with the high beam switch. The previous owner (a Ducati mechanic) must have done this on purpose. Can anyone tell me why he would have done it? :confused:

·
Mr Leakered
8,810 Posts
A lot of folks believe the stock headlight is not sufficient for riding at night. The mechanic may have done this to simply use the high beam as the standard light to throw more light and used the original low beam when needed to light the road. Just a guess as the original high beam is not very objectionable to others on the road.

As a counter point, it would be nice to have more light up front, but I've found the stock light to be adequate for night riding in the 'burbs when aimed to suite me.

If I rode in areas where wild game is a problem, some headlight swaps, esp the Ducati Designs version or a HID kit, would be on the very short list for selfpreservation.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I thought the European headlight switch turned both lamps on when flipped to the high beam position. The US switch turns on one or the other.

·
Mr Leakered
8,810 Posts
I would enjoy having a Euro switch to do key-on work without the headlight.

FWIW, my ST burns both lights when switched to high beam. I'm not sure if any work had been done in that area of my bike by the PO. A lot of other functional parts were added, though.

Have a good one.

·
Still needs a life.
12,531 Posts
The low beam on both my 01-ST4 and 02-ST4s remained on when the high beam was engaged. It is a function of the headlight switch. The first European headlight switch I purchased for my 02-ST4s did not allow the low beam to remain on when I switched on the high beam. I took it back to Ducati Seattle, where I had purchased it, and exchanged it for one which did.

The OEM headlights on the old style ST's (MY 03 and earlier) are so poor that I don't know if it really makes much difference whether or not the low beam remains on when you switch to high beam. I purchased Ducati Designs headlights for my 01-ST4 and 02-ST4s and took back the night. My sources at Ducati Designs have told me that Paul Geller is tired of my constant whining and is working on a DD headlight system for the MY 04 and later ST models with the new style upper fairing.

·
Ducati Designs
1,123 Posts
Unless you live in a parallel universe, your headlight is working correctly. The low beam is the poly-ellipsoidal (projector-type) unit on the left side of the bike. The high beam is the reflector-type unit on the right side of the bike. The patterns and output produced by these lights bears little resemblence to accepted norms for modern motor vehicle headlights.

Some bikes were shipped with low beam always enabled, both low and high enabled when switched to "HI". Others have only low or high beam enabled when switched to "high". I've seen both varieties in all markets, further evidence that Ducati had little control of its configurations when these bikes were built. A simple mod to the high beam switch will enable low beam at all times, providing a bit more forward lighting when on high beam. the downside can be a melted plastic high beam reflector, so caution is advised.

pg
DD

I just purchased an 00 ST2. As I was working on the bike I noticed that the headlamps were switched. The headlamp on the left came on when the bike was started and the one on the right turns on with the high beam switch. The previous owner (a Ducati mechanic) must have done this on purpose. Can anyone tell me why he would have done it? :confused:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have the DD headlight replacement on the short list but it is fairly expensive and I just bought this bike and have had to put some money into it to get it road ready. In the meantime, I'd like to try and get the stock headlight working. The PO used PIAA bulbs but had the low beam bulb (H3) in the lamp on the left and the high beam bulb (H1) on the right. So he was not using the high beam bulb for normal driving.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If that's the case, why does the manual state that low beam is on the right and high beam on the left?

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
The newer style ST3 fairings might be different with the low going out when hi is on.
But the older ST2 style, the left is the low beam, and the high is on the right. And in the USA, the low stays on when the hi beam is turned on.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
PCV57: Maybe the manual is wrong, or it's the UK model? I'll tripple check when I get home. FWIW, you should be able to see the beam pattern out of each side. The low beam has a definite cut-off region where it illuminates below a given horizontal line.

Stick

·
Ducati Designs
1,123 Posts
Yes, the manual is wrong. Shocking. If you look at figure 41.4 of the ST2-2000 manual, you will see the H1 on the right (high beam) and the H3 on the left (low beam).

Some people imported euro-version left hand control clusters so they would have an on-off-park switch, and in some of those switches, low and high operated independently. You really need both to be on to get an effective full (albeit dim) pattern whe using high beam. The high beam module by itself will not illuminate close in or to the sides.

pg

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, so I'm not going crazy. Even the dealer didn't know that the right side lamp was supposed to be a high beam. They sold me an H3 bulb. I had planned on doing your headlight upgrade but I ended up having to do all sorts of other work that wasn't planned on. Maybe sometime this summer. Unfortunately, I have the whole fairing off and it would be easy to do it now!

Thanks, Paul

·
Mr Leakered
8,810 Posts
Hey Peter,

OT: the pic in your gallery labeled Franco Big, is that your machine? The upper fairing with what I assume is your kit is just sweeeet.

Have a good one.

·
Ducati Designs
1,123 Posts
My name is Paul. Close, but no cigar.

Yes, that's a Ducati Designs headlight. Franco, my customer in Italy, blended the headlight nacelle and fairing together and repainted it. Looks very smooth. The bike is now in Finland, if I recall.

pg
DD

Hey Peter,

OT: the pic in your gallery labeled Franco Big, is that your machine? The upper fairing with what I assume is your kit is just sweeeet.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,810 Posts
Sorry, Paul. I didn't mean to mangle that intentionally. Cool as I don't smoke. ;)

I tend to look at certain engineering "improvement opportunities" that OEMs create as an equivalent cost to produce some of the failures that they do. If only Duc made THAT front end. It would have been second only to the 916-998. I tend to do that a lot with a Saab in the garage (it would have cost nothing but a ton more sales to do it right). Oh well.

Have a good one.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
I do have the DD headlight replacement on the short list but it is fairly expensive and I just bought this bike and have had to put some money into it to get it road ready. In the meantime, I'd like to try and get the stock headlight working. The PO used PIAA bulbs but had the low beam bulb (H3) in the lamp on the left and the high beam bulb (H1) on the right. So he was not using the high beam bulb for normal driving.
Been down that route , its a waste of time.
Save the cash and put it towards a set of Paul's lights when you have the full amount.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm trying to justify doing it now since I have everything apart. When I bought the bike, it was "supposed to" have a new battery, belts, valve adjustment, oil/filter, fork oil and seals, etc and I found out that none of this had been done and now I'm paying to have it done right. This is the true meaning of "buyer beware"! Lesson learned: Don't buy a bike in the winter when you can't ride it. I normally would ask for the service records but I bought it from a Ducati mechanic who works for a local dealer.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Paul, on the newer style of lights, at what duration with both beams being on would you consider heat to become a problem? I have been tempted to modify my switch to run both beams when the high beam is selected as when I try the "passing switch" (which lights both beams together) I see a much nicer light pattern. Consider that nights in the north are usually cool and assuming that it would be pointless to use the high beam at slow speeds or when stopped. Thank you for any feed back.

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jerry, on the US versions of the ST both lights are on when the high beam is selected. Unless the wiring is different (which I doubt) heat shouldn't be a problem running both lights.

·
Still needs a life.
12,531 Posts
Jerry, on the US versions of the ST both lights are on when the high beam is selected. Unless the wiring is different (which I doubt) heat shouldn't be a problem running both lights.
Like me, Jerry has an 04-ST4s. On the ST models with the new style fairing (ST3 series and MY 04 and later ST4s series), only one headlight comes on at a time. As Jerry pointed out, this can be corrected by modifying the headlight switch at the risk of damaging the fairing due to the heat build up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts