Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a question and would like your help. I just purchased my first Ducati and am pretty new at it. Here is my current problem.

I have been trying to figure out how to aim my headlamps on my 748 and couldn't find an adjustment screw for it. I looked all over! I then looked at an owners manual and it appears that there is supposed to be a screw for this very purpose within the small hole right between the headlamp lenses. I went out to check this out first hand. I wondered how the hell I could have overlooked this. Turns out, the screw that is SUPPOSED to be in that hole, isn't. Its gone. So now I'm in trouble. My headlamps are nearly unusable at night. They literally aim ten feet in front of me and I cannot see anything beyond that.

Do any of you have a solution for this? Is there a quick fix I could do to remedy this? It is way too dangerous to leave as it is, I ride nearly blind now. Its simply unsafe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
It is an Cap-head (allen) screw, 6mm not sure about the length (guess around 50 -60mm?) but it is a standard bolt and nothing special. There should also be a spring that the bolt passes through which acts as a return to raise the lights and hold the screw in place, so by your description the spring may still be there? if not it sounds like there maybe enough spring in the rubber mounts anyway.

Mine worked loose when the bike was new and I ended up with headlight in the air - I use a low-strength loctite on it so it doesn't back out anymore.

You'll need to take the front fairing off to get it in but once in it is adjustable through the hole.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't forget to buy a spring too. The spring goes behind headlight and is what raises the height of the light when you back the screw out. Obviously when you tighten the screw you lower the aim. You capture the spring behind the mount and then put the metric allen head thur the headlight and the spring..

You could probably buy the parts at the hardware store, but its harder to visualize what you need without having seen the original parts.

From memory I'd guess the spring is about 1/2" long and Dukedesmo's info on the screw seems a little long to me. 1 1/4"? but I'm guessing too. I can't remeber if the fairing had to be on or off to get to the spring area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also, does your low beam have an "eye lid" on it. I am not to sure how to describe it, but it's like, when I have just the beam on, the light projects out in front of me and there is a lid blocking the light for more than 30yards out. It's def an obstuction of light because the horizontal line of darkness after 30yards is extremely sharp, the light doesn't just fade out. I have tried adjusting the center screw, it is all the way up. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Also, does your low beam have an "eye lid" on it. I am not to sure how to describe it, but it's like, when I have just the beam on, the light projects out in front of me and there is a lid blocking the light for more than 30yards out. It's def an obstuction of light because the horizontal line of darkness after 30yards is extremely sharp, the light doesn't just fade out. I have tried adjusting the center screw, it is all the way up. Any ideas?
There's a plate inside the reflector unit which is inside the headlight that makes the cut-off, it is tapered at one end to give a cut-off for the side of road that you ride on that is what you describe as an 'eyelid'.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks Duke, so, How do I get rid of it or adjust it. I just put in new hids and its blocking half my light output. Is it even possible to remove this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts