Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone reduced the amount of heat the rear header gives off by wrapping it with header wrap or exhaust wrap? That side seems to give off a good amount of heat to the left (especially in stop and go traffic), so I was wondering if anyone's tried anything to reduce it. I know some of you may have tried ceramic coatings and such, but just trying to get some opinions on the wrap options...

·
Registered
147 Posts
that's a great idea!
It'll look cool too.
I'd use 2" graphite wrap and don't forget to spray with silicone.

I just might do it too on the PS since the headers are starting to look lighter in comparison to the Termis.

·
Registered
147 Posts
yeah, it's an old bobber/chopper trick to keep everything nice and taut and looking good.

oh yeah, be sure to soak the wrap in water before you start wrapping to help everything lay easier...

·
Registered
108 Posts
emjay said:
Has anyone reduced the amount of heat the rear header gives off by wrapping it with header wrap or exhaust wrap? That side seems to give off a good amount of heat to the left (especially in stop and go traffic), so I was wondering if anyone's tried anything to reduce it. I know some of you may have tried ceramic coatings and such, but just trying to get some opinions on the wrap options...

I was going to do it till I got to the parts store,Was told that it would have to be ordered. I ask why?? At $70.00 for the "small roll" its not worth keeping in stock,is what I was told. Sooooo,that was the end of that.

On the other hand,if I come across a friend that has some left over from a car job,I will ask for it :D.

Laters

Nutt

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
emjay said:
Has anyone reduced the amount of heat the rear header gives off by wrapping it with header wrap or exhaust wrap?
I'm sure I've read that wrapping headers gives extra horsepower.
Check out www.deus.com.au they seem to be big fans of wrapped header pipes..........& some tasty bikes.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The wrap keeps the heat in the pipe, heat increases the flow, flow gives power. Not a huge boost, but some. I've seen circumstances where the header wrap will increase the likelihood of cracks due to more extreme heat cycling, and will decrease the life of the pipes to some extent.

But it looks raw and racy, so you have to take that into account, too.

These guys look here have some reasonable prices (50 feet of 2 inch ought to more than do it). So do these guys or look here.

·
Registered
147 Posts
GreyDuck said:
I'm sure I've read that wrapping headers gives extra horsepower.
Check out www.deus.com.au they seem to be big fans of wrapped header pipes..........& some tasty bikes.
That shop is amazing! I wish we had something like that over here.
I think the closet thing we have is www.glorysales.com

·
Registered
41 Posts
mase said:
that's a great idea!
It'll look cool too.
I'd use 2" graphite wrap and don't forget to spray with silicone.

I just might do it too on the PS since the headers are starting to look lighter in comparison to the Termis.
MASE,
I've sold 2 Paul Smart's and 2 SP1000's that we put the Termi's on...the header pipes all got lighter after only a few weeks.. a friend with the PS actually had his header pipes powder coated once...but they STILL turned lighter a few weeks later. ! i like the idea of wrapping them...I've never done or seen a Duck pipe wrapped, but we've done a few Victory cruisers..looks cool and holds up, but the wrap gets A LOT lighter, color wise...black turns almost light grey !!? I'm considering it for my Thruxton. Any imput would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
emjay said:
I had the exhaust manifolds on my Land Rover treated with a Jet-Hot ceramic coating and it made a big difference in reducing heat in the engine bay, especially during the summer when I used to get roasted trying to check the oil level. This is a good thing for Rover engines since they're all aluminum and overheating will kill them. Supposedly the Jet-Hot process boosts power somewhat, but I can't attest to that since I had a custom exhaust installed at the same time.

Jet-Hot also coated the inside of the manifolds, which supposedly aids in exhaust flow. Jet Hot has worked great for me -- it's been durable and looks good -- kind of a matte black although they may have other colors and finishes. I'm sure they could coat a Ducati exhaust as well.

The problem I've heard with the wraps is that they're effective, but they tend to trap moisture and cause rust.

·
Registered
147 Posts
vmoffa said:
MASE,
I've sold 2 Paul Smart's and 2 SP1000's that we put the Termi's on...the header pipes all got lighter after only a few weeks.. a friend with the PS actually had his header pipes powder coated once...but they STILL turned lighter a few weeks later. ! i like the idea of wrapping them...I've never done or seen a Duck pipe wrapped, but we've done a few Victory cruisers..looks cool and holds up, but the wrap gets A LOT lighter, color wise...black turns almost light grey !!? I'm considering it for my Thruxton. Any imput would be appreciated.
yeah, I know it gets lighter. but using wrap on the header still works, conceptually and aesthetically speaking, for me.
I'm wrapping the pipes on my Bonnie once my TT pipes get here, so I'm all for wrapping headers on a Triumph. Great bobber look!

I'll use some of the leftovers from the Bonnie on the PS and see if I like the look or not.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I used the 1in tape (black of course!) on my sporty. IMHO, the 1in tape gives a better "lay" and follows the contours of the pipe better. attached is the sporty. The pipe is also Jet Hot coated. I got it at Martell Bros racing. Forgot how much.

hhhmmmmm I still have a bit left, now I'm wondering what it would look like! :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had a 8ft piece left, so I wrapped one side at a time and took a pic. The pipe would have to come off to do a proper job. The right side pipe has about zero clearance by the case, I think the wrap would wear through unless one was able to move the pipe outboard a bit.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
So...yeah...the GT has double walled headers. They are supposed to keep the pipes from turning blue. On mine they are turning blue in a couple spots where I think the inner pipe comes close to the outer pipe. The benefits of the wrap would be to cover up any discoloration that occurs, and maybe reduce radiated heat.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Blue Out

When I owned a P.O.S. URAL with single tube chrome exhaust, I was able to keep the exhaust blue / gold free with "blue-out" (blue magic?).
Took some elbow grease, but every time I saw another URAL rider they always asked me why I bought a new exhaust :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is the small hole in the rear header for some sort of O2 sensor hookup? Is there any issue covering this up with the exhaust wrap?

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
88sporty said:
I had a 8ft piece left, so I wrapped one side at a time and took a pic. The pipe would have to come off to do a proper job. The right side pipe has about zero clearance by the case, I think the wrap would wear through unless one was able to move the pipe outboard a bit.
looks great! makes your GT look sportier...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just got back from dirt biking and a stop at Motowheels. A cool place with a lot of waaaaayyy KICK A$$ stuff for your duc!!!! Plus the peeps are nice and full of good info. If you are ever in Sac town I would make a stop (end plug).

While looking around I got some of that thermo tec heat tape (in black).
Soooo,after I get my dirt bike gear in the washer and some cold beer going on, I will wrap my header and tack some picks.

HMMMMMM,maybe I should not put it like that :eek: O-well you get the point!

Laters
Nutt

1 - 20 of 25 Posts