Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a roll of 1" 50' header wrap for my PS and I have a few questions before installing it.

1. If I remove the headers am I gonna need to get new gaskets

2. Should I use the hose clamps or the the stainless steel zip ties that sometimes come in header wrap kits

3. What paint brand have you used and or would you recommend even doing it.

I figured it will probably be easier and the wrap will come out looking a lot better if I take off the headers. Any other comments or suggestions are appreciated. I've been reading all the other threads about header wrap on this forum but no one really addressed taking off the headers in detail.

thanks.
Mike

·
Registered
328 Posts
Mike,

You don't need to remove the header to wrap it. I got the stainless zip ties but ended up using some hose clamps. I also "sprayed" it with the high temp black silicon paint that they sell with the wrap. I sprayed the paint into a small container, then used a brush to paint the wrap. Don't forget to soak the wrap in water before wrapping.

I just got a roll of 1" 50' header wrap for my PS and I have a few questions before installing it.

1. If I remove the headers am I gonna need to get new gaskets

2. Should I use the hose clamps or the the stainless steel zip ties that sometimes come in header wrap kits

3. What paint brand have you used and or would you recommend even doing it.

I figured it will probably be easier and the wrap will come out looking a lot better if I take off the headers. Any other comments or suggestions are appreciated. I've been reading all the other threads about header wrap on this forum but no one really addressed taking off the headers in detail.

thanks.
Mike

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ok guys, school me, I am interested in header wraps to..... Whats the deal, whats the benefit, pros, and cons, besides the badass looks?

·
Premium Member
8,661 Posts
I'm going to wrap the vertical pipes on my 999R in order to stop the extreme heat blasting my right calf. I get a large red burn there everytime I ride for some distance. It doesn't make sense to wrap the Paul Smart, its a naked bike so the heat isn't contained.

There is some chatter regarding the possible danger of a partial wrap, I don't know the details though.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a shot wrapping 'em up with the pipes on.

ct mazi, thanks for the painting tip. I was wondering how one would paint the pipes/wrap while they were still on the bike.

geogolf, I'm mostly covering the pipes to help the hot leg. I also like the looks and it's a good way to get rid of some scratches without getting new pipes.

I'll probably get time to do the pipes the end of next week after the new baby's born. Gotta get the bike looking good for the West Coast SC ride comin up.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
Some of the advantages besides, looks and insulation are that they keep more heat in the header and in theory this draws the hot gases out more efficiently and faster.

·
Registered
681 Posts
its so much easier if you take the headers off. i think you'll get a tighter wrap that way. Its simple, a few bolts. Plus it will give you a chance to clean up the header bolts to the cylinder head and put some anti seize on. Mine were rusted badly.
I did not replace gaskets either.

Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a shot wrapping 'em up with the pipes on.

ct mazi, thanks for the painting tip. I was wondering how one would paint the pipes/wrap while they were still on the bike.

geogolf, I'm mostly covering the pipes to help the hot leg. I also like the looks and it's a good way to get rid of some scratches without getting new pipes.

I'll probably get time to do the pipes the end of next week after the new baby's born. Gotta get the bike looking good for the West Coast SC ride comin up.

Mike

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
its so much easier if you take the headers off. i think you'll get a tighter wrap that way. Its simple, a few bolts. Plus it will give you a chance to clean up the header bolts to the cylinder head and put some anti seize on. Mine were rusted badly.
I did not replace gaskets either.
Wrapping the headers takes more time than removing them. Take them off before you wrap them. It is very easy. I took mine off. I had them off yesterday as well. No problems. Less than 15 minutes I had everything back together. Wrapping and painting will only look better if you remove them. Make sure to soak the header wrap in water before, and then be prepared to get wet. Give the wrap time to dry. Mine took a couple of days to fully dry. As it dries, it gets tighter. Then paint when it is fully dry.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, it was pretty easy to take off the headers. I think I did a better job with a tighter and cleaner looking wrap than if I would have left em on. I came up about 4in short so I ordered another roll and it should be in tomorrow. When that dries I'll paint em. I ended up using the Jeggs brand black 1" wrap and paint with pipe clamps. When I'm done I'll try to post some pics. (haven't posted pics yet).

Thanks for everyones advice.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts