Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently added full Termi's to my 999s. I heat wrapped the pipes where close to the fairings and added heat resistant Thermo-Tec to the fairings as well. I have not run the bike except to see what the system sounds like. After the smoke cleared I found a spot where the factory insulation was too close to the pipe so I cut that out and covered the area with Thermo-Tec. I still can't ride on the roads because of snow so I have not really heated things up. In the meantime, I have been perusing forums and have seen several that warn of the possible damage to the pipes with heat wrap and canelled warranties because of the use of heat wrap. I don't know if they were talking about Termi's or not. I would appreciate input from anybody with actual first hand experience with heat wrap on Ducati/Termi pipes. I am thinking I may pull off the wrap and run the bike to see how the Thermo-Tec does by itself. I would rather take a chance with the fairings than the pipes at this stage. And the more I look around, the more I like a ceramic coating, more for looks than heat protection.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Tried header wrap briefly on the right outside pipe on my 996, took it off as didn't make a significant diff. and also had heard stories of potential cracks developing to the manifold.

·
Registered
372 Posts
too many people hate it when i preach against this stuff so i won't do it again. just search current and archived threads and you'll find enough of my rants.

·
Registered
329 Posts
hogrocket said:
I recently added full Termi's to my 999s. I heat wrapped the pipes where close to the fairings and added heat resistant Thermo-Tec to the fairings as well. I have not run the bike except to see what the system sounds like. After the smoke cleared I found a spot where the factory insulation was too close to the pipe so I cut that out and covered the area with Thermo-Tec. I still can't ride on the roads because of snow so I have not really heated things up. In the meantime, I have been perusing forums and have seen several that warn of the possible damage to the pipes with heat wrap and canelled warranties because of the use of heat wrap. I don't know if they were talking about Termi's or not. I would appreciate input from anybody with actual first hand experience with heat wrap on Ducati/Termi pipes. I am thinking I may pull off the wrap and run the bike to see how the Thermo-Tec does by itself. I would rather take a chance with the fairings than the pipes at this stage. And the more I look around, the more I like a ceramic coating, more for looks than heat protection.

I ask and had a metallurgist at work tell me the header tape would raise the metal temperature. The higher temp COULD drive the carbon out of the steel and cause hydrogen embrittlement, thus failure. He had no idea how long it would take.

Buick 3.8 turbos used to get a bit more power by wrapping the crossover tube from the far side to the turbo. The crossover would crumble after a year, or 2 of drag racing. It was made from 409 stailness, at best.

I wrapped parts of the headers I added to my 2.3l Ford and ran it for 2 or 3 years during and after tuning to cure an extreme lean condition. Plastic connectors were melting in the engine compartment. I never noted any damage from the tape.

Now, unless you've modified the fairings or the exhaust there is no reason to wrap the headers. Normally, Termis fit as well as the factory pipes; Termignoni is the OEM. The tape will do no good and while it might not do harm, it does add weight and UGLY to the bike.

I'd take it off unless you have firm engineering to support ts use.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Colt45 said:
I ask and had a metallurgist at work tell me the header tape would raise the metal temperature. The higher temp COULD drive the carbon out of the steel and cause hydrogen embrittlement, thus failure. He had no idea how long it would take.

Buick 3.8 turbos used to get a bit more power by wrapping the crossover tube from the far side to the turbo. The crossover would crumble after a year, or 2 of drag racing. It was made from 409 stailness, at best.

I wrapped parts of the headers I added to my 2.3l Ford and ran it for 2 or 3 years during and after tuning to cure an extreme lean condition. Plastic connectors were melting in the engine compartment. I never noted any damage from the tape.

Now, unless you've modified the fairings or the exhaust there is no reason to wrap the headers. Normally, Termis fit as well as the factory pipes; Termignoni is the OEM. The tape will do no good and while it might not do harm, it does add weight and UGLY to the bike.

I'd take it off unless you have firm engineering to support ts use.
finally...another member who has done his research. i'm glad i'm not the only one!!!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
To avoid debate (and keep my friendship with Mikey:) :) ) I'll just answer the question...I've had Thermo-Tech wrap on my pipes for going on two years now. (1 1/2 years for sure) and zero problems. I have had the wrap off because rocks and normal road debris shreds away at the bottom pipe and must be re-wrapped. Underneath over the entire length of the pipe there is no discoloration or any signs of failure. Now obvioulsy I'm no metal-ologist or able to desipher the condition of the melecular structure of the metal inside, but so far look good to me. And as for Colt45s comments on UGLY....we all know that's an "opinion" and we know what they say about those:) I did mine strictly for looks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Off with the wrapper!

I think I am going to pull the wrap and feel confident the thermo-tec will be ample protection. Besides, I did a butt-ugly job with the wrap. Wouldn't want anybody to see it and I am afraid it may end up trailing behind me like a roll of toilet paper streaming down the highway. Sure to impress, eh! And Chiromikey, I do believe you.

·
Registered
246 Posts
1+ years of the tape on mine and no problems. hope you dont burn that nice paint :confused:
The coating is not as good as the wrap but it does look better, But I dont dislike the wrap. If you have ti pipe DO NOT WRAP IT.

·
Registered
372 Posts
galaxy said:
To avoid debate (and keep my friendship with Mikey:) :) ) I'll just answer the question...I've had Thermo-Tech wrap on my pipes for going on two years now. (1 1/2 years for sure) and zero problems. I have had the wrap off because rocks and normal road debris shreds away at the bottom pipe and must be re-wrapped. Underneath over the entire length of the pipe there is no discoloration or any signs of failure. Now obvioulsy I'm no metal-ologist or able to desipher the condition of the melecular structure of the metal inside, but so far look good to me. And as for Colt45s comments on UGLY....we all know that's an "opinion" and we know what they say about those:) I did mine strictly for looks.
lol, friendship still intact! ;)

metal failure won't happen in every situation, just know that it's possible.

·
Registered
129 Posts
No FHE (never used it before), but I've heard similar concerns regarding metal longevity with exhaust wrapping. I think I read an article that mentioned it--maybe from Motorcyclist magazine sometime in the early 90s ('92 or '93?); the article was about either about Erion or Kaz Yoshima (sp?) tuning a CBR900RR. So you're not totally alone on the issue, chiromonkey.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Noah930 said:
No FHE (never used it before), but I've heard similar concerns regarding metal longevity with exhaust wrapping. I think I read an article that mentioned it--maybe from Motorcyclist magazine sometime in the early 90s ('92 or '93?); the article was about either about Erion or Kaz Yoshima (sp?) tuning a CBR900RR. So you're not totally alone on the issue, chiromonkey.
chiromonkey??? you haven't seen my picture have you.

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
If you have a 57mm system. You have no choice. Additionally, you better get the pipe away from where the kickstand clips in. You WILL have burning, warping, and discoloration if not.

Buy the CF heat shield for the stock system from Moto. Also get the clips that the screws go into. Moto knows what I'm talking about.

1. Run the screws into the clips.
2. Glue heat shield tape against the inside of the CF shield.
3. Run some safety wire or clamps through the clips.
4. Place the CF shield against the wrapped pipe right where the kickstand rests.
5. Run the clamps or safety wire around the pipe.
6. Tighten the CF shield down to the pipe. The CF shield is concave a bit and will push the fairing away. The ends of the CF shield will lightly contact the heat wrap.--no problem
7. Make sure to also line the inside fairing with the heat shield tape. You can't use too much or the shift lever will hit the fairing. I used three layers.
8. Push the shift lever down very slow to make sure it clears the fairing.
BA DA BING--No more heat issues!
I've had my 57mm system for 2 years now without one burning/excessive heat issue. ------unlike most!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Noah930 said:
Sorry. Musta been some sorta Freudian slip or something. Heck, mebbe the chick in your avatar digs chimps.
freudian slip huh...are you implying you were checking out my avatar and thinking about your monkey. ;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
The corrosion problem with heat wrapped exhausts are related to use with mild steel or cast iron exhaust material. Stainless and especially titanium are both heat and corrosion resistent. Aircraft engines use heat wrap on their exhaust systems and the aircraf industry is pretty consevative.

·
Registered
16,910 Posts
We wrap a lot of exhausts and sell a lot of wrap. I've never seen any problems myself in the last 7 years. I hear of a lot of theory that it can cause damage but I do not know anyone that has had a problem with damage to a stainless system yet. I'd be interested to hear the details, find out what they used and how it was damaged.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Colt45 said:
400 series stainless has a lot of iron in it and is generally magnetic.
Iron equals corrosive.
300 series stainless is much more temperature and corrosion resistant.

·
Registered
329 Posts
cyclebrain said:
400 series stainless has a lot of iron in it and is generally magnetic.
Iron equals corrosive.
300 series stainless is much more temperature and corrosion resistant.

LOL! True in every detail, BUT 300-series stainless is primarily iron, too, as are ALL steel alloys.

My Termignoni 50mm system does not look like 300-series stainless. I haven't thought to see if it is mildly magnetic.

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
moto said:
We wrap a lot of exhausts and sell a lot of wrap. I've never seen any problems myself in the last 7 years. I hear of a lot of theory that it can cause damage but I do not know anyone that has had a problem with damage to a stainless system yet. I'd be interested to hear the details, find out what they used and how it was damaged.
Hey Martin,

I got the black wrap. Thanks. Looks like this is a B_ _ _ H to install correctly where it looks decent. Any tips? The spring retainers etc... and where to start? Want to run it to the can

1 - 20 of 57 Posts