Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i will be taking possession of a lovely old 92 soon. It has 18k on the clock and was very well taken care of by the looks of things- BUT... It does have the older head studs. I've read many bad things- seems they break- but question is do they always break?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Not *always*, but usually, eventually.

Here's my experience. I bought a 1993 M900 Monster new, and it turned out to have the weak studs. At 19K miles (about a year and a half of ownership), a stud broke on the vertical cylinder, and I had it replaced. This was in early 1995. The larger scope of the problem was not known to us at that time, so we just thought it was a fluke, and just replaced that one. Just a couple of months later, at 22K miles, one of the studs on the horizontal cylinder broke. By this time we had heard of the problem, and Ducati had made improved studs available, so I told the mechanic to replace all of them with the improved studs.

Here we had a communication breakdown; I thought he had gone then and replaced all the studs on both cylinders, but he only did all the studs on that horizontal cylinder. So I went on my merry way, thinking I was done with the issue, but still having 3 of the original studs in the vertical cylinder, plus the one that was replaced at 19K miles (but was replaced with a new one of the same weak design). Had I known this, I would at least have had them all replaced when I had the piston rings done at 122K miles.

Quite a few years later, in late 2011, the bike developed a base gasket leak on the vertical cylinder. So I took it in to get that fixed, and was surprised to be told that I still had the old weak studs in that cylinder, and that they were stretching and about to break, which is why I got the base gasket leak. At that point, I had 198K miles on the bike. I thanked the old studs graciously for lasting 18 years on that cylinder, and for letting me know before they broke, and then ruthlessly had them all pulled out and redone with the better studs.

So I would not say that they will *always* break, but that there’s a good chance of it, and of course the more miles, the more likely.

PhilB

Reactions: motolust

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
theres a good chance the studs will live longer than the bike. ive replaced a few in my life, not all without difficalty. i alway suggest to leave them till till one lets go then do the lot. and dont be frightened when you are told the engine has to be split and the broken stud has to be spark erroded. along with all the others that break at the thread base when you try to take them out.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
I agree that with studs that are NOT broken I do not think I would change them unless a broken stud would be a major ordeal such as 1/2 way across the country on a trip or on the second to last lap of your race you are about to win. If you are like most owners these bikes will not be in those positions so if you break a stud you will have to fix it but but it will not usually be any worse off than waiting until you need to do them for some other reason such as the 944 kit we know you will want down the road.

I am also contemplating a 92 and yes it has the bad studs also, Yes I think about them as there is no telling how long they will last and if I re-sell the bike I will likely want to change them first so I can sleep at night. If I found a bike and it was what I wanted and in good shape for the price I would just factor in the fact that someday it WILL come apart and if that does not bother me I would buy it. If it does bother me I would simply find one that has already had the updates done.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I have a '92 900SS. A stud broke in the first year of ownership and they replaced all eight under warranty; with studs that were still not designed correctly. One of those broke in the second year of ownership and I was told, "yes the studs are no good but your bike is out of warranty. So sad for you." A call to Cagiva NA by me (the dealer couldn't be bothered) and they said they'd "take care of it", which I found out meant they'd send eight 916 studs and a gasket set to my dealer who charged me over $900 to repair it since a stud broke off in the case and had to be EDM'd out. I got so mad at the bike that I sort of quit riding for a long time and have only put 3K miles on it in the next 24 years of ownership. Don't ask, I won't sell it.

Yours will probably break and will be a pain to deal with, but the advice is sound, don't mess with it unless you have to. If people think they have heard this story before, it's because I retell it every time there is a new 900SS stud thread. Somehow it makes me feel better, but for other's sake I'll try to stop:smile2:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a '92 900SS. A stud broke in the first year of ownership and they replaced all eight under warranty; with studs that were still not designed correctly. One of those broke in the second year of ownership and I was told, "yes the studs are no good but your bike is out of warranty. So sad for you." A call to Cagiva NA by me (the dealer couldn't be bothered) and they said they'd "take care of it", which I found out meant they'd send eight 916 studs and a gasket set to my dealer who charged me over $900 to repair it since a stud broke off in the case and had to be EDM'd out. I got so mad at the bike that I sort of quit riding for a long time and have only put 3K miles on it in the next 24 years of ownership. Don't ask, I won't sell it.

Yours will probably break and will be a pain to deal with, but the advice is sound, don't mess with it unless you have to. If people think they have heard this story before, it's because I retell it every time there is a new 900SS stud thread. Somehow it makes me feel better, but for other's sake I'll try to stop:smile2:

thanks for the info- I've searched the subject and read these stories- guess i was hoping someone would say- if it lasted 18k it'll be fine- wishful thinking on my part- i'll plan to be prepared for the eventuality - these bikes are worth all the headaches IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
One of the mechanics at the shop bought a used 900 carby to build into a track bike. He had finished tuning it and was simply blipping the throttle when ... PING! went a stud. he ended up dropping in a 944 kit while he was in there. The shop had taken a black 900 carby in trade and IIRC I was taking it on a test ride before the new owner took possession of it, you guessed it the stud popped and the shop ate that job. No money on that sale.

Used bikes are just that and if it is not the studs it will be something else, if that is too much of a chance you are better off shopping for a better bike that MIGHT need less. Most of us will just curse ,fix it and move on.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of the mechanics at the shop bought a used 900 carby to build into a track bike. He had finished tuning it and was simply blipping the throttle when ... PING! went a stud. he ended up dropping in a 944 kit while he was in there. The shop had taken a black 900 carby in trade and IIRC I was taking it on a test ride before the new owner took possession of it, you guessed it the stud popped and the shop ate that job. No money on that sale.

Used bikes are just that and if it is not the studs it will be something else, if that is too much of a chance you are better off shopping for a better bike that MIGHT need less. Most of us will just curse ,fix it and move on.
Yea- this one is too nice to pass up and the price is a steal- i strangely love the challenges with these and there's the strange satisfaction of getting them sorted.. knowing they'll be made right and on the road for some time hopefully

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Well, to be accurate, BROKEN head stud. Are we still talking about you ??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts