Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did a search on this topic and wasnt able to find anything , which very much suprises me as I have read alot on the internet that these mid 90s ss were prone to cylinder head studs breaking. I have one broken on the back cylinder head and I know the engine has to be dropped to fix this, but my question is can this be done by a home wrencher or is this something every one has had done by the stealer? Is it really hard to do ,and require special tools we wouldnt have on hand? :( Any imput from someone who has done this would be great! /95 900ss sp

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Many of our bikes ( I have an 94 M-900) had this problem. I would recommend that you get in touch with Nichols Machine, and talk with Jim Davis. He would be happy to help/advise you. ( Check their website).

Though best known for their flywheels, Nichols has made a few hundred sets of the improved studs for our engines, and though I have not had to replace mine, on other motorcycle engines it is not a big deal. Just carefull attention to details will get you there.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

duckgirlygirl said:
I did a search on this topic and wasnt able to find anything , which very much suprises me as I have read alot on the internet that these mid 90s ss were prone to cylinder head studs breaking. I have one broken on the back cylinder head and I know the engine has to be dropped to fix this, but my question is can this be done by a home wrecher or is this something every one has had done by the stealer? Is it really hard to do ,and require special tools we wouldnt have on hand? :( Any imput from someone who has done this would be great! /95 900ss sp

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Rainman said:
Bevel, is this true of the 2000+??????/
No. It was in the mid 90's. Ducati changed the studs to a better design but many early bikes are still vulnerable to it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ITEM: Cylinder Head-Studs
AVAILABILITY: In stock
APPLICATION: All Ducati Engines
PRICE: $240 (Qty.8)
PURCHASE: Click Contact button

Air cooled Ducati engines have shown a record of head-stud failures. We invested a substantial amount of time and money to resolve this dilemma. The head studs fail, because they are not elastic enough. We tested two types of studs available for Ducati engines. All the silver-colored studs failed prematurely because they do not have sufficient elasticity. The dark-colored studs showed good elasticity, 15%, and 164 ksi tensile strength. Our studs have 19% elasticity and 164 ksi tensile strength. A must for any engine using higher than stock compression!

I cut and pasted this from Nichols site but , I dont mind paying this if I can get this job done @ home but if I have to pay labor at the stealer, thats another 300-400 bucks on top of these heavy duty studs. I got a price for the studs from ducati and they are only a couple bucks a piece. I dont race , im just a mom thats rides ever so often, so i dont know that i need this heavy duty stud kit . The Dealer told me today that the studs they sell are improved from what they used in the first place in the 90s ... I know some wrencher out there has done this or attempted this @ home?????????? somebody?????? anybody????

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
On the SS, you'll need to remove the engine. Not difficult if you are OK with doing it. Now, if your studs are all intact, you should be able to remove the old once and install the new ones yourself. If any are broken, you may need prefessional help, depending on where they broke. But this is work any machine shop could do, not just a dealer. You'll need new gaskets, some 3-bond sealer, and an adapter for torquing the head bolts (a crows-foot from Sears is what I use).

So, if you feel up for it, it's pretty simple, but you should be comfortable with pulling and taking apart a motor. Otherwise, find a friend who is. But it's nothing that really needs to be done by a dealer.

Tom

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
I had a cylinder stud break on my `93 900SS in `99. The dealer covered all the material costs, I paid the labor, at the same time they warranted my cracked alum. swingarm (another problem with the mid 90 900SS model). I'm not sure if you would call it removing the engine, they did unbolt and drop the front to access the rear cylinder.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I replaced all the cylinder studs on my 94 M900 when I went to the high comp piston kit. On the monster I didnt have to pull the engine, just the heads and cylinders. It was straight forward removing the studs except for one of them. I used a torch to heat up the stud first. I put two nuts on the top threads, locked them together and unscrewed the studs. The one that got stuck was a bitch to get out. I tried liquid wrench and heat and it just wouldnt budge. I stripped out the threads in the lock nuts on the top and finally got the stud to thread out using a vice grip clamped to it.

When putting the new, stronger studs back in, I used red loctite to lock the studs into the block.

Mike

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Check out the Monster list. They are an especially hands on group over there, and I am sure that many have handled this problem at home. Now forget what you might have heard about them all being leg humpers and all. It is not completely true, but advertising as a woman with a stud problem might provide more usefull advice. LOL...go for it. Even if it does sound like an old Van Halen sound track in the background.

ducatimonster.org

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have a 98 m900 also sitting here and by looking at the two , i could see where the monster is a lot easier to work on as to getting to cylinder heads, not as much top frame in your way, so i can see why more monster guys have tackled this themselves. I wish this prob was on the monster.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
I know for a fact you can do whatever you want to the verticle cylinder by just rotating the engine downward. I have done it. Honestly, nothing on these bikes is beyond anyone. The only part that is going to be a problem is if the stud broke off below the surface of the case where it goes in. If you have to muss with that... you may want to take it somewhere as it can be really really really difficult to bore that out straight. If there is anything sticking out that you can latch on to though you should be ok.

Ryan

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Good point, so the real point here is where is the stud broken ? Nasty nasty down at the case level or higher where it is not such an issue ? Can you help us duckygirl ?

A few additional thoughts.

Obviously you should use the upgraded studs from the dealer. You can't beat the value. Also, you might consider hiring the Ducati mechanic to do a little bit of "moonlighting" as we call it. Working on a specific task for you after hours could put some talent and experience behind this ( normally) basic repair. Most guys like a little cash in hand and the dealer will not be the wiser for it if everyone can keep their mouth shut.

I've done it and it works for me.

·
Registered
709 Posts
bevel450 said:
A few additional thoughts.

Obviously you should use the upgraded studs from the dealer. You can't beat the value.
I agree. I like Nichols products very much [I use their engine bolts, and a few other assorted items]. But, I would use late model studs too. I am still using my "dark" '99 studs on a race motor with 13:1 compression and have had no trouble at all. and I strip my motor down to the cases every winter [meaning they have been loosened and re-torqued more than three times now

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had two of the front ones on my '95 SP break. I'm not much help with the DIY aspect, as I had my dealer take care of it. He replaced all the front ones, which didn't require dropping the engine. The back ones weren't broken, so he decided not to spend my $$ dropping the engine to replace those. He'll do it if they break.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.