Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.. so '95 supersport 900, transplanted into a '94 Cagiva Elefant/Duc E900...

But last winter, while doing a heinous trail out in the desert- definitely banged the heck out of the bottom of the bike on a shelf. It has a bash plate, the lower frame that holds the bash was bent and slightly made contact with the horizontal cylinder.

A small oil leak started at the head/barrel interface and also from the lower right-hand side head stud. I figured that the mating surface between the barrel and the head had been disturbed, so decided to open it up, clean it up and hopefully clear up the issue when I reassembled the head. Nope. Still leaking from the same spot...

But one thing I noticed, on the mentioned head stud, when I went loosen that nut- the INSTANT the nut turned, it was totally spinning free.... Hmmmm... I grabbed the stud with some vicegrips and tried to see if there was some play.. None that I could detect. (btw- these are 2 year old Nichols head studs I put in when one of the originals snapped).

But I'm thinking the stud may be slowing pulling out of the case...
Is this a thing? Do/can the studs pull out?
And if it is, wouldn't I detect some play when I was yanking it with the vicegrips??

And assuming it is pulling- is there any remedies other than whole certs/heliocoil route to fixing it??

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
The fact that the stud turns freely would sort of indicate to me that the stud had broken - though you say it's a Nichols stud, and I have no idea as to their reliability. Sounds like you're going to have to pull that cylinder (at least partly) off and have a look. And if it's the stud pulling out - then a helicoil repair is about it.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Unclear : Is only the nut turning, or the stud with it ? Is the stud pulling out or coming out with the nut ? If you put the studs in with anti seize maybe it’s backing out, or the nut is messed up . I’ve never heard of a Nichols stud breaking, that’s why people use them. Don’t jump to conclusions, it might be ok.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stud isn't broken. Like I mentioned, I already went through that a while back....
I just think it's slowly pulling out of the block... I'll just watch it and time sert it if it comes to that

1 - 5 of 5 Posts