Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of my race buddies have some stem bearings in their SS that change the head angle. Issue is they know nothing about them or where they came from.

Google hasn't been much help. anyone have any insight into these steering stem bearings?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Maybe larger bearings ID with a concentric shim.
Or small bearings OD with a concentric shim on the outside. It would pretty much have to be that way. If they were large ID with an inside shim, the forks would sortof ~spiral~ around as the bars were turned.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
The MotoAmerica team I used to work for had them in his R1. We had .5 degree and 1 degree. We used a smaller OD bearing vs stock and pressed in aluminum cups to the steering head. The new bearing pressed into the cups at a slight offset forward on the top bearing and a slight rearward offset on the rear. They were custom machined, and they could not be a universal part. The height of the steering head dictated the slight angle needed to be machined into the cups along with the offset forward or back. Most modern bikes now use oversize head to allow for this. Check out the new V4, so many hidden options for the factory boys. Not only rake change but wheelbase too.

On the R1 there were simply tick marks on the inserts to show centerline front or rear. The Ducati V4 uses notches as shown in this pic.

Makes sense?

CanCreek also makes something similar for bicycles called an angleset. However it uses a conical seat to allow for various frame sizes. It clunks alot and is not a good way in my opinion

I run a rear shock from a DS1000 on my 900 that is a little bit longer and steepens the rake about .5 degrees and I like it. This also reduces the trail a little, probably closer to 100mm but I never measured it as it's just a street bike.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts