Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reminds me of Ghostbusters:
" We are headed for a disaster of biblical proportions!
Old Testament real wrath of God type stuff!
Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies!
Rivers and seas boiling!
Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
The dead rising from the grave!
Human sacrifice, dogs, and cats living together... mass hysteria!
>:)

·
Registered
905 Posts
Didnt they buy MV Agusta awhile back and sell it again at a huge loss ?
Yeah the boys in Milwaukee sold it after they discovered their core client base wasn't interested in buying motorcycles...

Harley bought it for $109M and sold it for $4 two years later. But they had to put $26M into the MV bank account before Castiglioni would cough up the $4 to buy it back. And tRump thinks he's the master of the deal.

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
Reminds me of Ghostbusters:
" We are headed for a disaster of biblical proportions!
Old Testament real wrath of God type stuff!
Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies!
Rivers and seas boiling!
Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
The dead rising from the grave!
Human sacrifice, dogs, and cats living together... mass hysteria!
>:)
No, just under 4 years of it....

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I think that won't move needle for Ducati, they'll keep on the path they are on, but it would be good for HD to have access to Ducati tech and designs. Their one attempt at making a bike that handles properly kinda misfired.

VW needs to offload it to pay for their fuck up with the Diesel engines.

Reactions: Air_Cooled_Nut

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Back in the day when I was working in a HD custom Shop in NJ
All HD Bikers respected Ducati's. It was a fast twin
One of the old school mechanics would always say "that them Ducati's is a thinking man's Harley."
So I dont feel anything negative either way.
I'd wear that T-Shirt and tell em what that old timer used to say
:smile2:

I think wearing that would get yer butt kicked from both groups! :grin2:

·
Registered
905 Posts
...Their one attempt at making a bike that handles properly kinda misfired.
Milwaukee tried to make a bike that would actually lean without immediately dragging hard parts and would corner properly? I am unaware of such a bike unless you are referring to the Sportster XR1200. If they would have just put that pig on a diet and lost about 175 pounds of unnecessary fat (they were about 565 pounds dry as I remember) they would probably have had a bike that handled. But the faithful still wouldn't buy them.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I doubt the xr1200 target group was the normal HD buyer. The Target was younger Harley oriented people who weren't attracted to dressers or cruisers. A Harley " sport bike " for people who didn't have any idea what a sport bike was, but liked the idea of having one. The weight factor doesn't really enter into the equation , Ducati riders are concerned with weight, not Harley riders.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Milwaukee tried to make a bike that would actually lean without immediately dragging hard parts and would corner properly? I am unaware of such a bike unless you are referring to the Sportster XR1200. If they would have just put that pig on a diet and lost about 175 pounds of unnecessary fat (they were about 565 pounds dry as I remember) they would probably have had a bike that handled. But the faithful still wouldn't buy them.
yeah that's what I am referring to and hence why I said it misfired. that thing was a disaster.

·
Registered
905 Posts
yeah that's what I am referring to and hence why I said it misfired. that thing was a disaster.
I still can't comprehend why they bothered to make a bike (XR1200) that obviously wouldn't appeal to their core audience in a attempt to get a new client base, then make it so it wouldn't appeal to the new client base either. Harley could obviously make a "sport" bike that would appeal. The XR750 made over 80 HP and weighed under 300 pounds. They have the technology. Add 50-75 pounds to make it street legal, up the displacement to 1000-1200 cc to calm down the state of tune on the XR750 engine and still get about 90 HP, keep the XR750's unmistakable Harley styling and there you have it. A Harley for motorcyclists instead of tractor drivers... but I guess if you want one you still have to roll your own.

Attachments

Reactions: Riderjeff

·
Registered
23 Posts
Harley has a history of developing motorcycles for a non-existent market. The 77-78 XLCR was a pseudo cafe racer that didn't appeal to Harley riders because it was a cafe racer. It didn't turn the cafe racer crowd's crank because it was a Harley. The XR1000 and XR1200 similar results. Of course now they're collectable.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't know if an HD takeover of Ducati would be a good thing or not. I am leaning toward 'not' given HD's prior attempts at doing something other than Harley Davidson bikes.

Harley does a lot of things right, including making quality bikes that are great highway cruisers. And they have a large number of dealerships in towns of all sizes, which means you aren't too far away from one if you have a problem and need service. I have a 2007 Dynaglide FDXSE that sits next to my Ducati, and it's been a great bike. Ridden it back and forth across the country a bunch of times.

One of the the things about Harley is that they don't know where to find their next generation of customers. So, Harley develops all different kinds of products in order to broaden their appeal. That's why you have variations of models that pop up for a few years then go away, with a new one popping up in it's place. The ones I see younger guys riding the most now tend to be blacked out Sportsters with the wide tires (is that the '47' model?). So, that model is appealing to the younger guys that want a smaller, fun to ride Harley. The small water-cooled bikes they are making are supposed to be global products, appealing to riders in India, China, etc.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Full disclosure I rode a 2005 black Sporster 883R from 2005 to 2007 before getting my Classic, and despite only having 5 gears and being heavy as a semi I loved riding it. The finishing on it was top notch, it never gave me an issue, and I appreciated little things like the self-resetting blinkers after a turn and the loud pipes. It was the last carburated year so it still had a some personality. And now I wish I still had that bike to customize and tinker with. I have zero beef with Harley's. They're air-cooled V-Twins with tons of torque and personality.
In their current lineup, if I had to pick I would have no problem riding a black Dyna low-rider S...

All this to say, if they stick to the script, their product is well built and there's something for most riders who simply want to cruise comfortably.

They tend to get into trouble when they try to go outside of their customer base. And the image associated with the brand isn't very sophisticated. Which means it would then make sense for them to acquire another brand with zero cross-over. Let's just hope for our sake they are happy as passive owners.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts