Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they're willing to do something for the Diavel guys, maybe something in it for us Monster owners as well.
Run it by your dealer's service manager.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Forever the optimist.🤩

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
What’s a rear brake?
It is that spongey pedal/lever that you press on occasionally to exercise your foot without dropping any speed.
I have circa 100,000/58,000 miles and original brake pads on my 2001 900SS

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Perhaps some collective pressure will help.
The Diavels have a Technical Service Bulletin SRV-TSB-19-012 to replace the rear brake line.

so if your rear brake is bled correctly you don't get a new rear brake line, if it has air in it you do?

I have no idea what replacing that brake hose will do other than force the dealer to bleed the system, whether they do it properly........ well that's another thing.

FWIW my 2012 Diavel seems to need the rear brake bleeding every year or so, which, to do properly means, exhaust off, wheel off, rear caliber unbolted and placed on the rotor with the bleed nipple facing UP. Easy really.....

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know how to bleed the brakes but it's a twice yearly job. I have a Mitivac as well.
Was planning to do so with Motul 600 until I found out about the Diavel Recall.
I believe the faulty lines joints are not as impermeable as they should be.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
‘96 SS, ‘07 S4RS, both rear brakes work. Stainless lines , EBC HH pads on both.
I use them to stop on gravel, or moving forward in traffic. I use them on the road instinctively in combination with the fronts. The SS brake squealed until I cleaned the rotor and changed to EBC pads. Now, they work well enough when needed. They will lock up on gravel if I feel like it. They are simply a non factor to me. I would have to believe if your rear brake has poor functionality something is wrong with the master, because the caliper is a pretty simple unit capable of putting plenty of clamping force on the rotor.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
If you had to ride on gravel roads as I do , using front brakes alone would soon result in picking gravel out of your teeth.

Reactions: DuckMan

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
A funny thing: Most of my Harley friends rarely or never use their FRONT brakes, stopping a 900 # motorcycle. They think they’re “ TOO Parfull “

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
A funny thing: Most of my Harley friends rarely or never use their FRONT brakes, stopping a 900 # motorcycle. They think they’re “ TOO Parfull “
No comment on their mental acuity. Well, OK an emoticon. :rolleyes:

Actually my back brake is good enough for those downhill decreasing radius turns, and for parking lots.
Pretty sure it could not lock the rear wheel.
ABS. :ROFLMAO:

·
Smut peddler
1,182 Posts
On my 2012 evo, my rear brake sucked since day 1. I bled it, I rebled it. I had a dealer bleed it because it needed a procedure through the ABS unit. Nothing did shit. Rear brake went soft, under hard braking, ABS unit would pulsate. Took a page out of grandpa's book, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is broke, shitcan it." Got individual lines from Galfer, ordered the rear so I could route it away from the rear header, capped off the ABS unit, and never had ragrets since. I would hope the newer models don't use the same archaic bullshit the older ones did, bit it don't sound promising. ABS is for women that say YOLO, and men that cross their legs when they sit anyways.

If anyone knows if you can remove the ABS unit on a 2012 EVO without causing a code, hit me up. It's just an anchor on my rig now.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Agreed. The only time I use the rear brake is for off-road excursions (planned or not). But I do know that my rear brake does work fine.
You're giving up roughly 20% of your braking power by not learning how to use it on the streets. 20% ... think about that .... that's the difference between stopping in 80 feet vs not stopping for 100 feet. 20 feet ... plenty enough to keep you from planting your face into the back of that stopped bus in front of you. Lecture complete.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you had to ride on gravel roads as I do , using front brakes alone would soon result in picking gravel out of your teeth.
Agreed, but while the statement includes the word 'road', I'd say that a gravel road is off road.

Rex, when I'm on the track, the rear wheel is barely on the pavement. I'm pretty sure I'm not giving up anything then.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I know how to bleed the brakes but it's a twice yearly job. I have a Mitivac as well.
Was planning to do so with Motul 600 until I found out about the Diavel Recall.
I believe the faulty lines joints are not as impermeable as they should be.
I didn't mean to suggest you can't bleed your brakes, sorry if that's how it came across....

I do mean that if you have a good pedal it's probably because it's bled properly but i get your point, you're saying the swaged ends are letting air in?

My 2012 has been a bit of a bugger it's whole life and i generally bleed the rear once a year or so, can't hurt, flushes the grungy fluid out and gives me a good pedal feel. no recall on my model but i find it interesting that since day one of the Diavel people have been moaning about the poor rear brake.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts