Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tonight I take a stroll out to the garage to pull the wheels off the street bike so I can spoon on some fresh race rubber for this weekend (have a different set of wheels that I am putting the street tires onto for the street bike). It was going to be a quick 15-20 minute deal. At least that was the thought going in anyways. It is now around 3 hours and lots of profanity later. So on with the post...

Have you ever thought you put parts on a bike, but it turned out you didn't put them on the bike you thought you did? I did...at least it took me taking off the rear rim to notice something was not how I expected it to be. Over the winter I had done a 520 conversion to one of my 996's. I thought I did it to the track bike, and had even ordered up a different sprocket for this weekend. Turns out I did it to the street bike.

All I can say is that I caught my mistake (or at least my memory's discrepancy) before it became an issue. I should be able to at least swap out the gearing and chain. Though I might just order up a new rear carrier, sprockets and chain. Not what I wanted to be spending money on this week, but less of a pain than swapping things from one bike to the other!

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
What does the chain and sprockets have to do with the rear wheel on a 996?
They make the rear wheel move under torque and this causes the bike to be propelled in a forward motion, unless YOU are on it, in which case it lurches forward in what appears to be a great takeoff - before going backwards in an embarrasingly insane backpeddling motion.

It's in the LT Snyder manual, at least that's how I read it.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
They make the rear wheel move under torque and this causes the bike to be propelled in a forward motion, unless YOU are on it, in which case it lurches forward in what appears to be a great takeoff - before going backwards in an embarrasingly insane backpeddling motion.

It's in the LT Snyder manual, at least that's how I read it.
His point is that on the 996 the sprocket is not part of the wheel.

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
One too many huffs.....

So tonight I take a stroll out to the garage to pull the wheels off the street bike so I can spoon on some fresh race rubber for this weekend (have a different set of wheels that I am putting the street tires onto for the street bike). It was going to be a quick 15-20 minute deal. At least that was the thought going in anyways. It is now around 3 hours and lots of profanity later. So on with the post...

Have you ever thought you put parts on a bike, but it turned out you didn't put them on the bike you thought you did? I did...at least it took me taking off the rear rim to notice something was not how I expected it to be. Over the winter I had done a 520 conversion to one of my 996's. I thought I did it to the track bike, and had even ordered up a different sprocket for this weekend. Turns out I did it to the street bike.

All I can say is that I caught my mistake (or at least my memory's discrepancy) before it became an issue. I should be able to at least swap out the gearing and chain. Though I might just order up a new rear carrier, sprockets and chain. Not what I wanted to be spending money on this week, but less of a pain than swapping things from one bike to the other!

·
Senior Italophile
865 Posts
I think that the OP was just calling himself out, for not remembering which bike he made changes too and making more work and cost for himself than he expected.

Originally Posted by tye1138

He did not notice his mistake until he went to pull the wheel off to change over to race rubber.

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
I think that the OP was just calling himself out, for not remembering which bike he made changes too and making more work and cost for himself than he expected.

Originally Posted by tye1138

He did not notice his mistake until he went to pull the wheel off to change over to race rubber.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

·
Registered
227 Posts
wow

Thank you everyone for helping translate this post. I saw this post the other day and can't help, but to stop by from time to time to see who else has try to figure this one out.

I also believe it was drug or alcohol that played a factor.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone for helping translate this post. I saw this post the other day and can't help, but to stop by from time to time to see who else has try to figure this one out.

I also believe it was drug or alcohol that played a factor.
You saw this post the other day? I just posted it last night, so perhaps you are thinking of a different one?

As for the drug or alcohol comment...sorry, my life is to important to me to mess with that stuff when working on a bike that routinely takes me over 130 MPH on the track.

What the rear tire and the sprockets have in common is that you can see the back side of the sprocket carrier fairly easily when you pull off the rear rim. This is how I noticed that I had not done what I had thought to my race bike.

As for my post not making sense to some...I must say that my post is a heck of a lot better than some I have seen on this board. I figured my story would bring a chuckle to someone, not get a few chuckle heads to post up saying they didn't understand. If you don't have anything even remotely positive to add to this post...please don't. Don't waste your time, or mine...or others for that matter.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
What the rear tire and the sprockets have in common is that you can see the back side of the sprocket carrier fairly easily when you pull off the rear rim. This is how I noticed that I had not done what I had thought to my race bike.
Sounds like you can't tell the difference between your two bikes, so in your confusion the wrong parts were installed on the wrong bike and you wanted to share that info with us.

YEAY! :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
Sounds like you can't tell the difference between your two bikes, so in your confusion the wrong parts were installed on the wrong bike and you wanted to share that info with us.

YEAY! :D
And yet again, more negativity. What gives? Are you deliberately trying to get your internet teeth kicked in by every member of this community? Cut the crap jackass.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
And yet again, more negativity. What gives? Are you deliberately trying to get your internet teeth kicked in by every member of this community? Cut the crap jackass.
Negativity? When was the last time you went to your garage and forgot which bike was which? Then wrote about it on the internet so we could all get a chuckle?

I didn't call the poor guy a drug induced drunk idiot.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
227 Posts
jokes

Wasn't trying to ruin your night. Hoping you could take a joke. Remind me to never invite you to a party. Good luck with your racing career.

·
Registered
461 Posts
While don't have issues with putting parts on the wrong bike I do have issues with not putting all the parts back on the one I have. You know you get it back together and start cleaning up and realize there's an important part of the bike still laying in the parts bin. lol

It's good if we can laugh at our silly mistakes. Makes life much less stressful.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts