Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fall asleep driving my car, and have ( very f.... scary ) on my bike a few times. What I do is just stop at the nearest Police Precint, ask permission to crash for a while, and take a nap wherever I can find a sofa or a chair or whatever. I hope I`m not ill, but it`s starting to concern me.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
That ain't right. If you're not kidding, you should definitely get yourself checked out! (How far can you go in Puerto Rico, anyway???)

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
you probably have some form of narcolepsy, you really need to get checked out. there is a medication called provigil that is very effective and can help.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yeah, get that checked out. I'm not a doctor, but that doesn't seem normal. I've never fallen asleep operating anything. I've had a girl fall asleep on the back of the bike coming from the beach, felt her starting to slide to the right side of the bike. I freaked, yelled her name and one swift right elbow to her ribs, she woke up.I thought I was going to lose her right on the parkway. So, freaking out that bad and it only being a passenger, I could only imagine if it were actually me that fell asleep while driving. I don't think I would ride my bike until I got a check up, thats your life, you know.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Follow these steps and you'll be fine:

1) Take some of the sugar out of your fuel tank and ingest a pound or so. This will give you a burst of energy and will keep you awake.

2) When finished your ride and you realize you still have too much energy left over from the sugar rush (but before the sugar crash), go beat the fuck out the douche bag who scratched your bike.

3) Go lie down in your own bed and relax.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Thats scary...

My best friend knew a guy with narcolypsy. The guy fell asleep while changing a tire on his car, only got half the lug nuts off.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sleep apnea?

It could also be sleep apnea.

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
Yep, woke up with semi's passing both sides of me in a gentle turn, #2 lane on a 4 lane freeway on a then new R90/6. I remember being awake about 1/2 mile before. Mentally exhausted from scientology training, wearing earplugs, and a noisy '69 Shark full face. It created a low frec. dull roar that I suffered thru nodding on other trips. I don't like the isolated calm of full face, I feel disconnected. 3/4 with a flat snap on ok, it's breezy enough.

·
The Road Beckons...
2,301 Posts
Well...

I was riding back home at about 2 am a few days back and I was thinking how it would be possible to fall asleep on a bike. I have been so tired sometimes while drive the cage my eyes have closed for a brief second, and then the adrenaline kicks in. On a bike it would be near impossible for me to doze off. First off because if I am tired, no riding, and also the wind alone is something that keeps me awake.

To answer the question above, Puerto Rico is only 100 miles by 35 miles. And the highways there are curvy through the mountains, no monotonous long straights like here in the states.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
You could get a few minutes of shut eye in on this road. In fact, these two guys in the draft are sleeping.

WTF??????????

Out!

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I suspect the guy driving the pickup truck that took me out in NE Nevada had fallen asleep...but that's another story.

You may be hypoglycemic, meaning your blood sugar level drops too low if you haven't recently eaten.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sleep apnea is a bitch. I know cause I have it.One of the symptoms is EDS ( excessive daytime sleepieness) I have had to pull over. get off the bike and move around. just to shake it off. best to see your doc.:sleep:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I am an insomniac so suffer the opposite problem, I can't even fall asleep in my own bed let alone something moving of noisy!

I get 3 -4 hours sleep a night ... on a good night.

·
Registered
592 Posts
monsta - more exersise! I have the same problem (caused by working night shifts in the middle of a normal week) if you lay in bed and can't sleep coz your restless try getting up and busting out as many pushups on the floor as you can. there is something about brain registering the body relaxing that makes you fall asleep, that feeling of sinking into the bed. works for me 9/10 times. A good tug might also work but go posh!

as for falling asleep on the bike, my old man told me a story once that he fell asleep riding at night IN THE SNOW!!! How the hell he managed that I do not know..

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
monsta - more exersise!
Gezz ... already Mountain biking about 100 km a week including riding up the Treble Cone Ski field Road here in Wanaka.

Soon as I do exercise it speeds me up so don't wonna do that, dooby or a coupla glasses (bottles) of wine helps marginally.

Don't need ta tug, got the misses who enjoys my restlessness and doesn't mind being tipped up at ungodly hours :D

johnnymotocros, neither of our predicaments are good but mine is not life threatening, suggest you get to a vet and get checked out mate, agree with the lads on that eh.

Being an insomniac I am interested in the outcome for you so keep us posted

·
Registered
592 Posts
Gezz ... already Mountain biking about 100 km a week including riding up the Treble Cone Ski field Road here in Wanaka.

Soon as I do exercise it speeds me up so don't wonna do that, dooby or a coupla glasses (bottles) of wine helps marginally.

Don't need ta tug, got the misses who enjoys my restlessness and doesn't mind being tipped up at ungodly hours :D

johnnymotocros, neither of our predicaments are good but mine is not life threatening, suggest you get to a vet and get checked out mate, agree with the lads on that eh.

Being an insomniac I am interested in the outcome for you so keep us posted
do whatever he does in reverse!

·
Registered
532 Posts
yes i know what it is like to fall asleep on the bike and that is because i had kidney failure and was on dialysis, so i think that you should visit your doc

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've fallen asleep many times in the past on bikes, in cars in the office (even on the loo!:D)

sort of got used to it and planned trips accordingly... got boring after a while and a bit dangerous after a few close calls... had it checked and they found a few odd things which needed drugs:) and sort of helped...its all in my brain apparently... :sleep:

After an 8hour ride from Brisbane to Sydney on the (old) Pacific hwy I stopped and a set of lights and actually woke up under the bike after someone came to help..
Another time I somehow had a memory of the road ahead but dropped off and covered a few hundred meters asleep INTO the path of an oncoming semi!!!
woke up all of sudden, funny that:D:D the truck had left the road for me and wiped out some trees... someone's looking after me i think!!!

Nowadays I can feel it coming on, stop anywhere and have a sugar treat, wash the face, have a chat and get going again...
:D:D

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I am an insomniac so suffer the opposite problem, I can't even fall asleep in my own bed let alone something moving of noisy!

I get 3 -4 hours sleep a night ... on a good night.
You need some good weed down there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts