Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased on the "bay" last week a front wheel axel for an 848 ready to do my front end swap on the 916.
Only purchased it as i couldnt find one nearer for sale and needed one quickly.
The bloke mills them himself... (dont know if i should post the link, no spamming honest... Ducati 848 1098 1198 Streetfighter Multistrada 1200 racing front axle | eBay )
When it arrived damn it feels light, but strong.... aint got the one off the 916 to compare it to yet, but im starting to have that nagging doubt in the back of my head......
........Will this "lightweight cnc" part be up to the job ?
Any one bought something like this before, any comments ?

Dont get me wrong it looks awesome, but need to hear from others who fitted similar parts to settle my mind.

Thanks all....

·
Mr Leakered
8,868 Posts
I've heard of Ti axles, but not aluminium. I'm not certain what the 848 uses, but . . .

Looking at the parts list for a 1098s, the front axle looks a whole lot like the steel one on mine. PLs aren't known for their accuracy, but parts, usually, kinda, look like parts.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,868 Posts
7075 is good stuff, depending on the conditioning. Al for an axle though just doesn't sound/feel right.

Of course, I could be wrong, and it may be just fine.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My initial thoughts would have been the same, but quite a few people are making them, and apparently they've been tested extensively.

One person is Pete Lidster (Titanium motorcycle parts | Ti64), who makes them by hand in both 7075 and titanium, and his ally ones have been tested to destruction!

Might be a good idea to have a chat with him for some reassurance!

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
7075-T6 aluminium alloy is certainly strong stuff, assuming it's machined from 2 inch round bar its ultimate tensile strength would be around 77ksi.

I expect the steel spindles are made from carbon steel heat treated to around an ultimate tensile strength of 800MPa (116ksi), I don't expec tthey'd use steel any stronger than that because then after plating it requires baking to remove hydrogen = added unessesary cost.

So, an aluminium axle is certainly doable, but I would use the same geometry as the steel version. I'd have the walls somewhat thicker to maintain the stress reserves and stiffness levels the same as the original configuration.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have practically renewed my nuts and bolts for Ti . I resisted the urge to change out the axles to Ti after reading many do`s and dont`s ,usually on this forum. I think that the alloy one would be at the top of a very long list of things not to use for me. Everyone to there own tho.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Personally I'd be nervous of an ally spindle. I have a titanium front spindle in my 916 (1198 forks) and a titanium rear spindle (made by above mentioned 'Ti Pete') in my Monster and am happy with those but I would shy away from ally for critical parts such as spindles, bolts etc.

That said it'll probably be fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been using a Alu front axel for several years now on the track, for my 999. No issue at all.
Just be very careful to always have the threads clean, as you can damage them quite easy. This is a small issue, because of the very frequent tire changes on the track.
Having said that the OEM 999s has steel axel with alu nut, so the thread issue is very similar.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the comments !
I'll try it out tmrw, and take the spindle out after a month of riding to see if any flaws have come out with road use.

Cheers all again. Will post the results :)

Tmrw begins the front end swap :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thanks for all the comments !
I'll try it out tmrw, and take the spindle out after a month of riding to see if any flaws have come out with road use.

Cheers all again. Will post the results :)

Tmrw begins the front end swap :)
I've used this axle as well for my fork swap, I didn't bought it at the Bay but in the guys shop. He also owns a webshop, google CeePeeDee Racing and you will find it. He's from Germany, so it isn't some hokiboki Chinese stuff!
German aproval is one of the most strickliest (is that a word?) aprovals in Europe!

Anyway you can ask it himmself, he always replies on your questions and he owns some trackbikes where he also uses the alu parts.

And talking about critical parts, arn't a lot of brake disc floaters and brake disc innerparts from the same material?

And to be honest, I will check my axle now and then as well!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Just my opinion but I wouldn't do an aluminium front axle. One botched wheelie and it'll bend. I did it to my stock steel part and the botched event wasn't that bad of a drop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts