Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying my MTS 1200 used with 6K about a week ago I finally had a chance to do something other than commute on it. Yesterday I rode across metro Denver over to Morrison and took 74 into the foothills sampling the tight twisties, dirt roads, twisties with bad pavement, twisties with really bad pavement on the highest paved road in the US, some highway, a couple of mtn passes and some more dirt roads up above one of our ski areas (Keystone/Montezuma). Simply unbelievable. I know most on the forum already know all the many and diverse attributes of this moto but I thought I would add this thread for those considering a purchase or doing research - new or used. I loved my ST3s and I still love my Monster but the Multi is truly something special. Oh, and I have 230 miles on this tank of gas and with a bit left to go...

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
After buying my MTS 1200 used with 6K about a week ago I finally had a chance to do something other than commute on it. Yesterday I rode across metro Denver over to Morrison and took 74 into the foothills sampling the tight twisties, dirt roads, twisties with bad pavement, twisties with really bad pavement on the highest paved road in the US, some highway, a couple of mtn passes and some more dirt roads up above one of our ski areas (Keystone/Montezuma). Simply unbelievable. I know most on the forum already know all the many and diverse attributes of this moto but I thought I would add this thread for those considering a purchase or doing research - new or used. I loved my ST3s and I still love my Monster but the Multi is truly something special. Oh, and I have 230 miles on this tank of gas and with a bit left to go...
And every day you ride her you will love her even more!:)

Note: I still love my S4Rs as much as I ever did, too!:)

2011 MTS S Toruring )black)
2008 S4Rs Tricolore #293

Attachments

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, took Witter from Upper Bear to Sqauw, then up Mt. Evans and back down to Idaho Spring, I-70 to Loveland and over the Pass and up to Montezuma and then up Peru Creek. I have a Husky TE610 and was pretty amazed at how well the Multi handles dirt. I'm gonna need to add a radiator guard and header shield...

FWIW, I just put on new Michelin PR2s...

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
230 miles on a tank of gas!! wait till you try sport mode, you'll love it:D

just kidding and congrats! that's good mileage, must be the altitude. i've done 198 miles on the slab and put in 5.3 gallons.......low fuel light burning a hole in my retina for the last 30 miles:eek:

oh BTW..........you sir, have good taste in motorcycles (multi 12 and S4Rs;))

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
Does the DTC ABS negate the need for different tires ?Perhaps ..
Such an easy bike to ride and forgiving in the gentler modes...
I start out in urban for a quick warm up and switch when the urge hits me...
dirt and gravel one does not get too concerened about ...
Sport always puts the grin on and is pretty impressive ...
All this with Luggage too...
What could be more versatile...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Sounds like a great ride. I just pickup up mine and took her to Sequoia for her first 600 miles!

Yes, still wiping off the dust, that later became mud as it rained a little over the weekend.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting thought re DTC and tire selection - never occurred to me that it would give you a lot more margin for error. I know on my mtn bike I've been running less and less aggressive tread patterns and am continually surprised at the levels of traction I can get if I finesse 'power' and braking action.

I'm running 34 F and 36 rear on the PR2s.

I get good fuel mileage because I'm a skinny bastard - 5'8'' and a buck 35. I had a buddy who I've been biking racing with for many years and we both had S4RSs and I would always get better mileage than him.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Sounds like a great ride. I just pickup up mine and took her to Sequoia for her first 600 miles!

Yes, still wiping off the dust, that later became mud as it rained a little over the weekend.

Mmmmmm I remember when I used to clean mine after every ride. Where did my love go? ;-)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Envious of the riding locations.. sounds like awesome riding near denver and north cali.

Random question.. Does that guy have disco mirrors on the back of his bike.. :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Envious of the riding locations.. sounds like awesome riding near denver and north cali.

Random question.. Does that guy have disco mirrors on the back of his bike.. :)
It is reflective tape that appears black until headlights hit it and then it lights up like disco mirrors! :) Very cool. Was thinking of adding it to my bags.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It is reflective tape that appears black until headlights hit it and then it lights up like disco mirrors! :) Very cool. Was thinking of adding it to my bags.
Thats pretty cool.. been using rimstripe on all my bikes since my '03 cbr.. didn't know it came in big sheets.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,293 Posts

Ducati Multistrada 1200 hardbag reflective decals | eBay

I bet this is what the fellow in the pic has on his ST1300 panniers. The guy on e-bay has been selling pre-cut reflective sticker kits for bikes forever. They are dark and almost invisible in daylight, but bright when hit with any artificial light (flash, headlight, etc.)

EDIT: Same link that Bull Rider posted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts