Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the second time I've killed my battery by accidentally leaving the key in the seat lock.

Dead dead. Won't charge, won't jump.

Both times I've discovered it the night before a big multi-night ride. Once again I'm unpacking my $25k Ducati and packing up my beat up 950SM, which starts no matter how long I leave the key in the ignition.

I know it's technically my fault for leaving the key in the seat lock. But the electronic key is the answer to a question nobody was asking.

Please Ducati, make the keyless ignition an option, not standard on future bikes. Please.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
what do you mean it won't charge? if you put it on a battery tender for a couple of hours, or better overnight, you should be able to start it right up. If the battery drop below 11.7v nothing works, but it's not dead, dead. just get some juice into it and remember to leave the red switch in the up position.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I've left my key next to the bike alot for long times. No issues. Did you leave the red switch up or down?

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
For the second time I've killed my battery by accidentally leaving the key in the seat lock.

Dead dead. Won't charge, won't jump.

Both times I've discovered it the night before a big multi-night ride. Once again I'm unpacking my $25k Ducati and packing up my beat up 950SM, which starts no matter how long I leave the key in the ignition.

I know it's technically my fault for leaving the key in the seat lock. But the electronic key is the answer to a question nobody was asking.

Please Ducati, make the keyless ignition an option, not standard on future bikes. Please.
How long did you leave the key in the lock for? 6 months!?! How the hell can your battery be drained that much from the keyless system!? Either something else is going on or you have a bad battery.

I've left my key by the bike many, many times for days on end and never had a drained battery as a result. Seriously, I would start looking for other issues with your MTS.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Left my key in as well and never had an issue.
If the red switch is off, it will not drain by itself.

Sent from my couch using Samsung Galaxy SIII

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I have to say I love the ‘keyless’. No more keys scratching the top yoke. My biggest problem was losing it….so I drilled a hole in the fob, (taking it apart first to make sure where I was drilling!) then have a ‘tether’ with a little ‘dog clip’ on the end that I clip to my belt ‘loops’. Wonderful! I even went as far as getting the keyless fuel cap…love it.
As for the battery going flat with the key in the seat lock…well…as others have said, there is no reason whatsoever for that…so clearly when you are in ‘forget key’ mood you are forgetting something else…most likely (again as said) leaving the slider so it,s pressing the start button. Oh…and as for that Bruce guy…best not say anything I think.

·
Registered
805 Posts
how long did you leave the key in dude ? must have been weeks. you sure you havnt got a dud battery ?

ive left the keyin quite a few times myself.
best I can offer is that now I really try hard to remember to take it straight out and put it back in my pocket after use. Im getting really good at it now...

fish key from pocket
unlock seat or pannier or topbox.
key goes straight back into pocket....

21 days to change a habit !

hope you get it sorted man!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Curve Surfer, I got a dumb blank key from my dealer and had it cut at a local locksmith, all for about $20. My proper key is in my bike jacket inside pocket and never comes out. My copy key is on a lanyard around my neck for my fuel tank and panniers. That way when I leave it in the lock, no worries and no one can nick my bike (I once rode 150 miles with it left in the pannier :eek:).

It does sound as though you have another issue, with the red switch or battery that the other have mentioned.

·
Premium Member
12,416 Posts
He said it would not charge...
did you activate the parking lights???
Seriously just make sure you take the key out every time, and DO A WALK around the bike before leaving it , Like All us OCD people do...

When you gonna learn???:D;)

I wish keyless was an option too...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Curve Surfer, I got a dumb blank key from my dealer and had it cut at a local locksmith, all for about $20. My proper key is in my bike jacket inside pocket and never comes out. My copy key is on a lanyard around my neck for my fuel tank and panniers. That way when I leave it in the lock, no worries and no one can nick my bike (I once rode 150 miles with it left in the pannier :eek:)..
now thats a great idea there! :)

im with most people, there must be another issue, its just easy to blame the key which your obviously not a fan of. must admit i wasnt at the start but i like it now and LeNoirs idea of a spare 'dumb' key is a good one!
best of luck!

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
You have another issue, it's not the keyfob draining your battery that much!!

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
My battery was drained once when I went to start it. It was the red button issue on the handlebar control, replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
don't recall the position of the red switch, that's another whole story, Ducati changing the story about how that switch was supposed to work.

all i know is this has happened twice, and both times was when the key was left in the seat lock for a week or so.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I really must be dumb, but I do not see the correlation between the key and the battery? :confused:

You need the key to start the engine, but the key itself would not drain your battery no matter how long you left it by your bike. The read switch is another story. Also, make sure you keep your battery on a tender (I got in a habit of doing this with all my bikes every time I come home -- learned the hard way why it's a good thing to do).

I also drilled a hole in the FOB key and put my house key on the key ring (my damn garage door opener's battery died and was not able to get in a house lol). Not sure how keyless fuel cap works (connected to bike's battery or has a battery inside the cap?), but I am also considering getting one (need to do a bit more research on pros/cons and issues).

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
You have other problems that the dealer needs to look into. I have left the red switch down for days, no problem. I have left the key on the rear seat lock for days, no problem. I leave the key in the little compartment on the right side of the bike whenever the bike is in my garage and it'll sit there for weeks sometime, no problem.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
don't recall the position of the red switch, that's another whole story, Ducati changing the story about how that switch was supposed to work.

all i know is this has happened twice, and both times was when the key was left in the seat lock for a week or so.
Ducati changed their story on how the red switch is supposed to work? Sounds like you either bought your bike second hand or your selling dealer didn't explain the bike to you. Either way, the owners manual and internet are an excellent source of knowledge regarding operating your bike correctly. This bike is about as simple as they come considering you understand how it works. I've got an early '10 S that I haven't had issues with and it sounds as if everyone else is saying the same thing. Seems you could benefit from a visit to a dealer and clarify how to operate your bike.
Also, who loads their bike before a trip without pretripping the bike? I generally check the oil, chain, tire pressure, fuel and determine it runs before loading the bike. I suppose it's that OCD thing Scott was referring to?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm widya Swervecurser, as far as athe "keyless" ignition affectation.
Every time I get on the bike, I worry that the "key" won't be found by the system. It has happened more than a few times, once with a warm tankbag full o' gelato. Simply pushing the bike 40 or 50 feet from the scene of the interference rectifies the problem, but you sure look dopey pushing a $25K bike around in parking lots.:eek:
Don't need keyless, don't want it in my next bike,(if any). :rolleyes:
Now, I also recently found my 2 year old OEM battery flat one morning without warning; red switch left up, key ALWAYS stored 1/2 a house away, battery ALWAYS on tender since new. I'm thinkin' the OEM battery is less than the best...

·
Registered
638 Posts

I never use the red switch, I use the black button in front of the tank to turn the bike off and on...the only time I use the red switch is to flip it down to lock the steering and flip it back up after the lock as been engaged...

No issues ever...1 year 3 months...

·
Registered
472 Posts
I never use the red switch, I use the black button in front of the tank to turn the bike off and on...the only time I use the red switch is to flip it down to lock the steering and flip it back up after the lock as been engaged...

No issues ever...1 year 3 months...
I use the "tank" black button to "wake" up the bike and to turn the engine off. I also use it to lock/unlock the steering. The black button under the red switch is used to start the engine and to active the heated grips (at least that's how I do it).

No issues with battery or FOB though I did test to start the bike using the code (and no issues there either).

·
Registered
185 Posts
Like others are posting...I love the electronic key.
I can leave it in my pocket until I need inside the topcase.

I also use the black button to activate and stop her. I leave the red switch up and only use the button underneath to start the bike and activate the heated grips.

Never any battery or starting problems for me in almost 2 years :D

I am so used to the electronic key, on my other bikes I have to double check I didn't leave the key in the ignition :eek:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts