Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't tell if sarcasm or not.... HD/Ducati? haha.

I do like the Urals(Russian) but I will admit they do have some serious pitfalls. I am actually looking at purchasing one at the moment, but it's really just because I like the tub design much better than any other ones on the market. So It would be cool to pair the Ural tub with something different down the road. Possibly a Scrambler?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Can't tell if sarcasm or not.... HD/Ducati? haha.

I do like the Urals(Russian) but I will admit they do have some serious pitfalls. I am actually looking at purchasing one at the moment, but it's really just because I like the tub design much better than any other ones on the market. So It would be cool to pair the Ural tub with something different down the road. Possibly a Scrambler?
Isn't the Ural pretty much just a BMW? It would sure be fun to watch someone with a Scrambler get into a spot they needed reverse too...passenger gets out, helps push it back?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet! Any more info??

Isn't the Ural pretty much just a BMW? It would sure be fun to watch someone with a Scrambler get into a spot they needed reverse too...passenger gets out, helps push it back?
Yest and no. They were designed from BMW blueprints and castings but that was back in the late 30's. They have since updated the design slightly, but they really don't have much in common with the Bimmers anymore.

Not having reverse is definitely the biggest drawback to using something like the Scrambler as a tug. Not sure I could teach my dog to get out and push! haha.

But have the power to go over 65 would be nice, and the brakes to slow you down would be even better.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Just read a long article about a non stop trip from Oregon to San Fran. on a Ural. They pretty much said its like something from the stone age! Not bad for trips around town but somewhat scary at HW speeds and seemed like a nightmare for the trip. have to check what mag when I get home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks 999s, but I'm familiar with where to buy a new Ural. I'm looking more for information on using the Scrambler as a tug. If I could use a Ural tub in that equation it would be even better. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
I wonder if Trump owns stock in the company, since he seems to love Russia so much. I think the name is an abbreviation of UR-in-AL.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
For anyone considering a sidecar machine, I suggest you try it before U buy it. My GF and I both test drove a Ural at Americade a couple of years back. The 1st year they had FI. And they did forewarn us about the lag in the FI. And the yaw.

One of the scariest, crappiest machines that I've ever tossed my legs over. Handled like poo-poo, the yaw was very distracting, it always felt like the frame was made of rubber, rather than steel. Always steering corrections to make up for the fact that there's a 400 # anchor on a wheel over there on the right. And it was the WORST transmission I ever shifted. Very heavy spring loaded shift lever, and ca-rash, upshift to the next gear. And very difficult to corner in a parking lot. Tons of effort into the handlebars.

If they all handle like this, it brings a new level of "holy poop, Batman!" to the folks that ride these.

I'd have to try a Harley with a side car someday to compare...

All I know is that you couldn't give me a Ural.

·
Registered
20 Posts
been having the sidecar itch too. I've heard that you need to get the rig set up just right and it won't pull and push on you as bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Both of those Scramblers with Sidecars are awesome!!!!! Would love to see how they look in person and even more curious about the control that bike kept with the added tub. Still need to test an Ural myself. Want a sidecar on my Sporty for my dog lol...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts