Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of throttling back on my racing (i road race a scca car) and picking up a ducati (or may be something else) as a hobby and a way to get away from every day life. I know both are addicting and i can still probably do a race or two a year and im just wondering if anyone went through this. Do you miss it, are bikes better, less stress with the bike, safety a concern.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

AC

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
Safety is a concern but for me there's nothing better that you can do with you clothes on than ride a motorcycle. I didn't give up SCCA racing to ride so no input there.

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
Riding a motorcycle is a great substitute for almost anything but sex. Keep in mind it's probably more dangerous to street ride a bike than race your car.

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
Safety third......more people die in car wrecks everyday than motorcyclists die per year.....
"There are lies, damn lies, and statistics" Mark Twain. What's the percentage of motorcyclists in accidents who are killed compared to auto drivers in accidents who are killed , Des ?

·
Bon Vivant
10,962 Posts
I spent some time trying kart racing and trying out scca before deciding to get a bike. For me they were very different and gave me a different sensation; I like the downward cornering forces on a bike better than the side exerted forces in a car and felt I got more from it (and karting left me battered and bruised) - so bikes did take the place of track cars. for me it was the right choice but you should try to experiment if you can and see how those things trip your trigger.

·
Registered
8 Posts
National highway safetyS website only has numbers of death.....and on average 5000 motorcycle related deaths occur per year...usa figures
Car numbers are in the millions.....and if you do the math it comes out to about 5,000 per day
Why would i lie?....everything on the internet is true

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Had the opportunity last fall to race my Mini Cooper on Saturday, and my 900SS Sunday on the same track. Much prefer the bike.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I used to race a Formula Ford with the SCCA. I actually gave that up to drive an ambulance and volunteer as an EMT with a Rescue Squad. The bike gives me back some of that feeling, but it is not competition since I only ride on the street. However, the level of focus required is similar, as is the feeling of mentally leaving the rest of my life behind for a little while.

I do miss the competition, and running wheel to wheel with my friends, and especially the friends that I made on track, but I'm comfortable with that choice for now. Someday I would like to get back on track, but that won't happen for a while.

I'm not sure that really answers the question, but I hope it helps.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I use to autocross a lot. The bike gives me the same sensations almost every time I ride it. This doesn't mean I've given up racing a car, I'll probably do it again at some point. But right now, I don't have the urge too. Riding a bike is so much more challenging to go fast in than in a car. A moderately good driver can quickly find the limits of a car without too much trouble or danger. But on a bike, most riders will never see the limits of their bikes capability. The learning curve is so much longer with a bike. That aspect makes it so much more satisfying to push. Oh, and riding a bike has made me a better driver. It forces you to be so much more aware of your surroundings.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I use to autocross a lot.
Me too. Haven't almost 10 years. I have a handful of friends who also used to be in to various types of automobile competition (drag racing, autox, PCCA events, whatever). In the last dozen or so years, we've all taken up motorcycling and just sort of slowly stopped being interested in performance cars. Maybe that says it all right there. None of us stopped racing in order to take up motorcycling, it just sort of happened that way.

I'm sure you already know this, but the experience of being on a bike can be incredibly intense. Your senses - all of them - are on fire, the entire time (or if they're not, you're doing it wrong). Racing a car can be intense and visceral, but I got the same level of intensity on my motorcycle ride to work this morning.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
tracked my 998 last weekend, what a blast that was. so much so i bought two more bikes this week and going to turn one into a track bike

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
National highway safetyS website only has numbers of death.....and on average 5000 motorcycle related deaths occur per year...usa figures
Car numbers are in the millions.....and if you do the math it comes out to about 5,000 per day
Why would i lie?....everything on the internet is true
I don't think you have a firm grasp on stats Bro.:smile2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts