Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Has anyone powdercoated their wheels?

2592 13
After having no luck finding a pair of even semi-reasonable gold wheels for my black ST4s, I'm considering powdercoating mine instead. Much less expensive to do than buying new wheels, but how do they hold up if you get a good outfit to do them? I'm not very hard on my bike, so I would hope that they'd stay nice for quite a while? If you've done this and recommend it, what should this operation cost for a quality job?
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
powdercoated wheels

I had the wheels powdedrcoated on one of my bikes. The finish is bulletproof, and cleans up easily with wd-40 on a rag and an occasional waxing. (The waxing is for my head only--the coater said it not needed). Just make sure that the powder coater knows clearly what areas have to be masked off (all mating surfaces for rotors,etc.) and exactly what color you have chosen. (my wheels were mistakenly painted black). Also bearings, etc. must be removed. The cost is usually around $200-250 per set, more for metallic colors. (That includes the mandatory Long Island Rip-off surcharge.)

It's best to do it at tire replacement time. I took off both my wheels, brought them to the stealership to remove old tires and bearings, then off to the coaters. Three days later I returned to the shop and had new tires and bearings installed.
There's really no negatives.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.