Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to take off the front wheel and don't have a front stand, but I do have plenty of 2x4s. I whipped one together and it seems to be pretty stable but wanted to see if anyone else has done this before I leave it sitting on this thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the page from the book, and here's what I bodged together. My rear stand didn't lift high enough for 6 layers of 2x4s, but I'll fix that tomorrow. I also screwed the whole thing together as I was worried about the weight of the bike pushing the pieces apart. Thinking about screwing some eye holes into it too and ratcheting the bike down just to be safe. I guess mostly I'm just worried about supporting the bike from the bottom of the engine as I'm not sure how strong this is.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Oh! standing it by holding the engine on wood, Ok, I can see that working but you have to break the bolts loose before putting it up on it and again doing the final tightening when it is on the floor again. I do not think this is supportive enough without the rear stand for vigorous wrenching or clumsy people going through your work area.

Make sure it doesn't rest on the oil filter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it's not the most stable option, mostly concerned if it's safe to support the bike from there. Don't want to crack engine case.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I’ve made all kinds of bike stands out of wood. I made a wheel stand to balance wheels too. I keep 2x4 scrap around to throw something together quickly when I need it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ended up chickening out on this in the end. Just put some heavy duty eye bolts in the rafter and hung it from some ratchet straps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts