Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finding the stock grips a little skinny for my comfort. I was wondering if anyone has swapped them out for thicker diameter ones.

If so what brand did you get?

Did it impact the effectiveness of the heated grips?

Would love to see pics if anyone has done so.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Swapped mine stockers out for SpiderGrips, love them! They are not thicker, just softer. I found the stockers a bit harsh! I don't have heated grips, so can't comment on that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ProGrip 699

Yep--replaced 'em for the same reason. No affect on heated grips. A little thicker and definitely softer. Had them on my last Multi, my Monster....almost everything gets them. at $10-$12 bucks, easy enough to bail on them if you d/n like 'em. Good luck- John

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Pro Grip 714

Larger diameter...soft and grippy.

I've put them on everything since my '92 Ducati 900ss.

The pic shows them on my now-sold KTM 950 SM.....I've got them on the Multistrada, too.

Northlight

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Larger diameter...soft and grippy.

I've put them on everything since my '92 Ducati 900ss.

The pic shows them on my now-sold KTM 950 SM.....I've got them on the Multistrada, too.

Northlight
Northlight,

I've got those on my '96 SS and like 'em also. Do you know the brand? As far as how they work when heated, my SS also has heated grips and they work just fine.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
379 Posts
Funny you should mention that. Just picked up some Pro Grips yesterday (dunno the number) for the Multi for the same reason. 28,000 miles on the stock grips (OK, split across two bikes) was enough.

My favorite grips of all time are Buell "Traction" grips...no longer available. :( Oh well, I've still got 'em on my '06 Uly.

--Doc

·
Registered
146 Posts
heated grips

I dont know why, but for some reason I thought the heating elements were impbedded in the grips themselves? From what I am reading, the grips are independent of the element.

This leads to my real question. I trailered my bike using the Canyon Dancer brand handlebar strap system which resulted in the straps holding the bike in place by applying force to the grip area.

When I unloaded my bike, I found the grips were somewhat twisted on the bars where the straps had attached. I twisted and moved them back into shape with a little brute force but worried about the heated grips and the heating elements. Had they been damaged?

I later found they still worked but still wonder, do twisting of the grips on the bars have any effect on the heated grip elements? Should I not use the Canyon Dancer straps?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I dont know why, but for some reason I thought the heating elements were impbedded in the grips themselves? From what I am reading, the grips are independent of the element.

This leads to my real question. I trailered my bike using the Canyon Dancer brand handlebar strap system which resulted in the straps holding the bike in place by applying force to the grip area.

When I unloaded my bike, I found the grips were somewhat twisted on the bars where the straps had attached. I twisted and moved them back into shape with a little brute force but worried about the heated grips and the heating elements. Had they been damaged?

I later found they still worked but still wonder, do twisting of the grips on the bars have any effect on the heated grip elements? Should I not use the Canyon Dancer straps?
Tex,

I've had no twisting issues when using Canyon Dancers, though the max distance I've towed was from home, in Colorado Springs, to the dealer in Denver (50 miles). I just make make sure that the loops extending from the tubes are positioned so that tightening doesn't put any torsional force on the grips.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
177 Posts

I happen to have a brand new set waiting for install sitting on my workbench and from what I can see the grip is separate to the heating element - the grip heating element tube also has two screws to locate the clutch side heating tube on the bar - normally this side is glued on with the grip - so both sides has tubes and whatever grip design you like can go on top of these

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I never tie bikes down by the grips for this reason. It can also stretch cables and do other damage. A canyon dancer applied properly should not twist the grips like that. You can also use loop straps around an empty spot on the handle bars and that should get you going.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Standard grips normally fit directly to the bars on the clutch side.
If there is a heated tube between the bar and the grip, does that mean the bars are a smaller diameter than normal bars?

Same the other side unless the heating element is in the throttle twist tube

·
Registered
45 Posts
Canyon dancers often destroy your grips. I switched to a "cycle cinch" and have been happy.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The bar is a normal OD

You will just need to get two throttle side grips to fit over the heated left side
Standard grips normally fit directly to the bars on the clutch side.
If there is a heated tube between the bar and the grip, does that mean the bars are a smaller diameter than normal bars?

Same the other side unless the heating element is in the throttle twist tube

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
What ever grips you select use compressed air and a ball inflator pin to pop them on and off. Easy breezy! Make a ring with your other hand over the grip and they pop right on and off!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Make sure you spray some Hair spray on the tube before sliding them in, that will keep them from rotating on hot days. The ones Northlight has shown also have channels for safety wire.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts