Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://mystarbrite.com/startron

We just received our first batch of this fuel treatment. We received a tip from a marine industry insider who claims they have had similar issue with plastic tanks on boats and this seem to help prevent it. We have it in stock $8.79 a bottle

* Disclaimer....we have no idea if it really works but reading the info it makes sense..

·
Registered
483 Posts
(haven't used it, but interesting info...)

Emulsified water/ethanol causes a more serious problem because instead of shutting down, the mixture can be partially combusted, but not effectively, which can damage the engine. Therefore, a mixture of water and ethanol is worse than just water. When emulsified water runs through an engine over a period of time, it causes excessive abrasion and wear, corrosion, and the emulsifier alone causes excessive carbon deposits, which cause wear on rings, pistons, and valves.
ah yes, that reminds me of "water injection" in old turbo corvair motors.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hmmm... I just got my replacement tank and the Ducati dealership sells this product. They told me that I should try using it... one ounce covers 3 gallons.. However, I am not so sure.... It does not remove ethanol from the tank (unless I did not read it correctly). Plus I've read in some forums that tanks are still spreading, even without ethanol...

I am still going to try it...what do I have to loose? but another tank...
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Sorry, but they're liars.

"Dramatically increases fuel economy" is their first claim, and NOTHING that has ever claimed that has ever been proven true. If it could be proven true it would be the biggest news in decades.

Do I have absolute proof it's a lie? No. But, I'd bet real money that any independent test will prove it a lie - and I don't gamble.

When the first claim of a "product" (read: snake-oil) is an obvious lie, it is only fair to assume that it's all lies.

This line is also so misleading as to pretty much just be a lie:

"Ethanol / E10 fuels increase the amounts of water and sludge in your fuel tank. Star Tron breaks down this excess water and sludge to sub-micron size allowing it to be safely burned away during normal engine operation.
Therefore Star Tron prevents phase separation and fuel gelling, eliminating ethanol fuel problems."

In fact, breaking down water to "sub-micron size" is what ethanol does! The fact that it will go into solution with water is why any alcohol can increase how much water is in your fuel (absorbed in the alcohol). On the other hand, it's ability to absorb water allows it to reduce water that has built up in your tank (through leakage or condensation). "Fuel Dryers" are simply alcohol that absorbs water in your tank and lines, allowing it to be burned up with the fuel (really leave as vapor out your exhaust). DucSculptor's quote of them talking about "Emulsified water/ethanol" is BS too. They're claiming that they're product takes emulsified water and puts it into solution, but it's not in an emulsion, it's a solution to start with. There's no such thing as water/ethanol emulsion in your tank.

The "sludge" part is just all made up. Take a look in your tank and try to find the "sludge."

"Phase Separation" is real. It happens when the alcohol absorbs too much water and then the alcohol/water solution separates from the gasoline. That takes quite a bit of water: about 4 teaspoons per gallon (in E10), or over 1/3 cup water per tank. I have no idea if it does anything for that.

Besides, even if every single one of their claims is true, there is absolutely nothing there that claims it changes the ethanol in any way. They claim to change the water. So, if it is the ethanol that is harming our tanks, there is zero reason to think that this would help in any way.

'Course, no one is certain they know what is making our tanks warp anyway - maybe it's gasoline. Will this take the gasoline out of our gasoline? :think:

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
More lies:

Star Brite says on their home page:
"Star brite® obtains an injunction in US Federal Court against ValvTect for false and deceptive advertising in their ads comparing ValvTect Ethanol Gas Treatment to Star brite's Star Tron® Enzyme Fuel Treatment.

The U.S. District Court ordered a preliminary injunction against ValvTect from further running false and misleading comparison advertising of ValvTect Ethanol Gasoline Treatment." http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

But, the trade magazine says:
"A federal court in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on Monday granted Star brite's motion for a preliminary injunction against ValvTect Petroleum Products in a lawsuit over comparison advertisements from ValvTect.

"The court concludes that the claims in the ads in this case were not literally false, though they were misleading," U.S. District Judge James Cohn wrote in his opinion."
http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/499669-judge-grants-star-brite-injunction-against-valvtect

Obviously an ugly pissing match going on there between those two companies. :p

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
I've used a various Starbrite products on my sailboat . . . mostly cleaners and waxes. I've never tried their engine products.

That said, there are several fuel additives out now that are supposed to address problems with ethanol in gasoline. Stabil (Gold Eagle) has a new, special marine fuel stabilizer that I might try. (Not to be confused with the Stabil that you put in your lawn mower to keep fuel fresh for the winter.) You probably won't find these at your local auto store. You will find them at West Marine.

As I have said before - The marine industry is well aware of the problems that ethanol can cause.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Great info guys..... "Snake Oil" tactics are very popular out there....
I guess I won't buy it......:think:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Fuel acting on plastic is not a new thing, and certainly not only a Ducati Sport Classic issue. Last week I was working with a couple of guys on a job who both worked at auto plants: one at Ford one at Saturn. They had similar issues with their plastic compound fuel tanks until they used some pretty heavy chemicals to treat the inside of the tank and seal it against ethanol until they completely changed tank construction. It is an issue that will not go away until these bikes are no longer made. Which will probably happen before we see after market replacements. I would not run any "additives", even StaBil, in an injected bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have run Stabil Marine and regular red stuff in combo with Chevron 93 octane (with 10% alky) for some time now in my Triumphs-also I use
some Gumout with Regane treatment in the same tank. NO problems and the FI Triumph Tiger 1050 loves the stuff as well as the carburated Bonnies. They both have no problems detected in any areas so far.......also use the Marine Stabil in my '09 Sea Doo and my old Mercury 90 HP outboard 2 stroke-works fine as far as far I can tell -both have "plastic" tanks. Started using Stabil when the EPA cut off real gasoline hereabouts a couple of years ago.

\Good luck

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I would not run any "additives", even StaBil, in an injected bike.
What issues can StaBil cause with fuel injection? My Sport 1000 is currently sitting with a full tank of StaBil-ized fuel, and I was running with StaBil in my tank since I purchased the bike in late summer (because the bike had been at the dealer for at least three months and I was concerned about the fuel breaking down). I don't want a nasty surprise come spring. :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
I would not run any "additives", even StaBil, in an injected bike.
Quite a few marine engines are injected and according to some of the marine forums that I've visited the owners use Marine StaBil. I haven't tried marine StaBil yet but I am thinking about using it. (I use regular StaBil in any fuel that is going to sit over the winter.)

·
Registered
900 Posts
What issues can StaBil cause with fuel injection? My Sport 1000 is currently sitting with a full tank of StaBil-ized fuel, and I was running with StaBil in my tank since I purchased the bike in late summer (because the bike had been at the dealer for at least three months and I was concerned about the fuel breaking down). I don't want a nasty surprise come spring. :confused:
I put it in my 955i Triumph which was injected and it gummed up pretty bad. I had to run about three tanks of Suzuki fuel injector cleaner through it and got the fuel pump warrantied. Just fill the bike up with some premium or 100 octane racing fuel and leave it alone. It's not a boat or lawn mower.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts