Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wondering if anyone has ever had a local machine shop make up some bar riser / spacers? Seems like it would be an easy thing......trace the footprint of the stock bars...include the holes.....machine/cut it out of 1" material....done.

Wondered about even just stacking washers and using longer bolts....but thinking that this might not be wise....any thoughts on this from you engineering guys??

Brian

·
Registered
183 Posts
i was just considering this same idea after swapping seats and experiencing a slightly different riding position,the thought i had may be overly simple but much like the peg lowering kit that was discussed earlier that would raise and allow for and aft positioning of bars,however i am not sure about re using the bar tubes as the overall width would be about 1.5" narrower and there may be some limited movement/interference with the master cyl and clutch cyl postion.i do have a new to me 3 axis cnc machine in the shop i have been playing with and tweaking and some alum stock and there is a guy on ebay that sells drops of fortal alum he is very close to me and the fortal is a trade name for die grade alum 7000 series or maybe 8000.
this may be the inspiration i need to go make some

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
You are going to get clearance and hose issues if you go over 1/4 inch

·
Registered
182 Posts
You are going to get clearance and hose issues if you go over 1/4 inch
I am using 1" risers with stock hoses and cables. You just have to watch the routing.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I got 1/2 or 3/4 inch risers from bcm when I got my bike. no problems with the lines.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I also have 1/2" risers. No problems.

·
Registered
183 Posts
pics,we need pics of these "spacers" :think:
does anyone know wher they came from who already makes them?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
A good friend has a 2002 ST4S that he says cannot get the 1" risers to fit (brake line too snug). I have a 2003 ST4S, and they seemed to bolt up just fine...

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I think your photo shows these risers on the bike. They are what I am going to try and make so that I can pull the bars up and back a little. They are Dr Desmo parts I think.

Attachments

J

·
0 Posts
Oh brian,have you ever heard of " High Speed Wobble" the parts better be balanced out to near perfect so to avoid death valley.Read the threads,buy from a good dealer these boys are buying them not making them but then its your life bro.There are some nice risers out there just made for your ducati,good luck.

·
Registered
183 Posts
jet if the parts are machined the same they cant help but be the same weight. the difference on such a small part if any would most likley be weighed in grains not grams/oz
and guages,ins even master cyl are not balanced exp as brake pads wear
am i missing something?
however i am not sure if it would be worth the trouble and expense to reinvent the wheel so to speak if these parts are available at a reasonable cost

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I have a set of 3/8" risers that I took off the bike over the winter. They were made by Fast by Ferracci. Looks like they would be very easy to replicate. I don't know what they cost or where they came from, they were mounted on the bike when I bought it 5 years ago.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I've got DrDesmo's 1 inch risers, I had to get his front brake line extender to make it work. I like this setup much better than stock.

.... but I'm considering going to a full 7/8 handlebar setup to get the grips exactly where I want them. It's nice to have friends with machine shops.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Most of my issues must be from the fact that I rotated my levers down. With 1/4 inch my idle lever fouled the fairing

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a set of 1" Dr.Desmo risers that I will sell. I will be listing them soon, so let me know if there is any interest here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts