Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Considering buying this seat cowl for my bike, since a "refinishing" project ruined mine today! (long story) The seller says he had it on his 93 900SS seat. Looks like it mounts over the key hole and grab handle obviously needs to go. Maybe the panel above tail light needs to go to?? He hasn't emailed back so I don't have more details.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think that's an older Air-Tech piece made up in Vista Ca (near you). Not sure if they make them anymore.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that's an older Air-Tech piece made up in Vista Ca (near you). Not sure if they make them anymore.
Ah, yes why didn't I think of that. I will call them now! Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
No, I'm pretty sure this part was sold by Pro Italia in the early-mid '90s.

There was a blurb with photo in "Rider" magazine Sept. '92:

"Pro Italia Motors has recently come up with a Custom Seat Cowling for Ducati 750 and 900 Supersport motorcycles. The fiberglass cowling allows removal of the bike's rear grab handle and gives your Duc a clean, solo-seat look. You will still have lockable access to your toolkit and underseat storage, and the original lock mechanism is retained. All other hardware supplied is machined from billet aluminum. The Pro Italia seat cowling comes color-matched in red or black with a clear coat for durability for $199.95. For more information contact Pro Italia Motors, 3518 N. Verdugo Road, Glendale, California 91208; (818) 249-5707."

Ian Smith's compilation of 900SS articles is awesome, check it out at www.mcreports.com :)

Cheers

d.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Maybe Pro Italia sold it, but I'm almost sure Air-Tech (not far from them) made it. They have kept all their molds for everything they've ever made, and can now do anything that was made in fiberglass, in carbon fiber for $50-$125 more.

I'd call them, if they didn't make it, they'll probably know who did. And I agree, that cover is coool.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I'm pretty sure this part was sold by Pro Italia in the early-mid '90s.

There was a blurb with photo in "Rider" magazine Sept. '92:

"Pro Italia Motors has recently come up with a Custom Seat Cowling for Ducati 750 and 900 Supersport motorcycles. The fiberglass cowling allows removal of the bike's rear grab handle and gives your Duc a clean, solo-seat look. You will still have lockable access to your toolkit and underseat storage, and the original lock mechanism is retained. All other hardware supplied is machined from billet aluminum. The Pro Italia seat cowling comes color-matched in red or black with a clear coat for durability for $199.95. For more information contact Pro Italia Motors, 3518 N. Verdugo Road, Glendale, California 91208; (818) 249-5707."

Ian Smith's compilation of 900SS articles is awesome, check it out at www.mcreports.com :)

Cheers

d.
Wow, thanks.....it's funny because I bought my bike from Proitalia! I'm still waiting for a call from the guys at Air Tech in Vista. I think that is enough info for me to go ahead and get it! I don't think it comes with any hardware so hopefully I'll be able to source it from Proitalia. The seller doesn't really have much info on the item.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Got the cowl today from Ebay seller. I emailed the seller several times trying to get details on how this installs on my seat. He told me it just slipped on with no other mods or hardware. I had my doubts especially after Dienstuhr posted his findings about the item being sold by Proitalia.....the dealer I purchased the bike from.

It does look like I need some more hardware. The OEM key tumbler mechanism easily mounts to the cowl but thats where it the easy stuff stops. After studying the cowl for an hour, I have determined there is no way to remove the seat once you lock it into place. It looks like there is definitely some other important pieces needed to make this work. I emailed the seller but he is a real tool and will probably say I'm SOL. But I did use my Paypal and hopefully have recourse. I'm going to call Proitalia if they have any hardware left but highly doubt it.

I probably won't go thru w/ the project and just get a simple OEM seat cover again but I don't give up easily. Sorryfor crappy cell phone pics

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
339 Posts
Got the cowl today from Ebay seller. I emailed the seller several times trying to get details on how this installs on my seat. He told me it just slipped on with no other mods or hardware. I had my doubts especially after Dienstuhr posted his findings about the item being sold by Proitalia.....the dealer I purchased the bike from.

It does look like I need some more hardware. The OEM key tumbler mechanism easily mounts to the cowl but thats where it the easy stuff stops. After studying the cowl for an hour, I have determined there is no way to remove the seat once you lock it into place. It looks like there is definitely some other important pieces needed to make this work. I emailed the seller but he is a real tool and will probably say I'm SOL. But I did use my Paypal and hopefully have recourse. I'm going to call Proitalia if they have any hardware left but highly doubt it.

I probably won't go thru w/ the project and just get a simple OEM seat cover again but I don't give up easily. Sorryfor crappy cell phone pics
If this works out, what will be your method of mounting the side plastic? I recently had the rear handle off my bike and it has the posts to keep them in place. Do you just plan on fabricating something?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If this works out, what will be your method of mounting the side plastic? I recently had the rear handle off my bike and it has the posts to keep them in place. Do you just plan on fabricating something?
the piece is pretty nice that it allows you to install the side fairings back to where they are suppose to be. The grab handle obviously has to go. There are indents on the side of the cover to clear the post. I really wish this works out because I really like the look. I just can't figure out how Proitalia fabricated the hardware to allow you to still open the back section and still remove the seat. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts