Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive posted my issues with my lean running bike, looking for answers. I tried the FatDuc O2 manipulator. It just messed up my idle (intermittent high rev at idle). Dealer can't find a problem, so the mechanic blamed the ECU. I don't think Ive come across anybody on this forum talking about sports classic specific ECU failures. Anybody have experience with this?

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Did they hook it up to the Computer?
They should be able to tell if the ECU is Kaput

I'd blame the tech :rolleyes:

Ive posted my issues with my lean running bike, looking for answers. I tried the FatDuc O2 manipulator. It just messed up my idle (intermittent high rev at idle). Dealer can't find a problem, so the mechanic blamed the ECU. I don't think Ive come across anybody on this forum talking about sports classic specific ECU failures. Anybody have experience with this?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JC. I think I need to find a new dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Being a computer person, I agree with JC.

It would be very, very rare for a "computer" (a.k.a. ECU, chip) to just suddenly go tits up. Even the old analog brains of the late '60s were very sturdy items. I would test the various sensors on the bike as well as check for vacuum leaks, like insufficiently clamped hoses, before turning my attention to the ECU.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Sounds like a cop out by incompetent dealer/mechanic. JC's right - they could easily have hooked it up to test that theory. I'm no mechanic or computer person, but I don't ever recall seeing anyone post anything about a failed or defective stock ECU in the nearly 4 years I've been on here.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
+1
3 different techs can tune your bike 3 different ways
I really think it takes some finesse and talent to make these bikes run nice.
:)
Sounds like a cop out by incompetent dealer/mechanic. JC's right - they could easily have hooked it up to test that theory. I'm no mechanic or computer person, but I don't ever recall seeing anyone post anything about a failed or defective stock ECU in the nearly 4 years I've been on here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well sh!t...

Ok, Im in St. Louis and there aren't many options out here. Can anyone advise on a midwest dealer/mechanic? This bike is my dream bike. Im willing on traveling a good distance to have someone work on it that knows what they are doing.

This is frustrating because this bike has never run right. I have spent over $800 at the dealer for them to keep the bike for 3 weeks and pretty much not fix a thing. Two months ago the service manager told me they were trying to locate an ECU to help diagnose this issue via swap-out. I never heard back.

Thanks for everyones advice.

561 Posts
I had a brand new ECU from Ducati on my 999R and the computer wouldn't talk to it ?After going through the wiring harness looking for anything suspicious , we came up with NOTHING ! so I relaced the harness just to be sure.....guess what ? the computer still wouldn't talk to the bike. I then bought ANOTHER ECU from Houston superbikes , plugged it in , and holly hell ! it started talking to the bike. Since the ECU that was purchased through the dealer here was going on 8 months old at the time, they wouldn't take it back or give me $ back on it. SO ,YES you can get a defective ECU from Ducati .

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I'm not saying it can't happen, it's just very rare. Far too many times do I see technicians replace things -- and charging the customer -- until a "solution" is found without really trying to find out what is really wrong.

If the tech wants to replace the ECU, fine, only under the condition that if the replacement does NOT fix the problems that the original ECU gets put back into the bike and the customer is refunded. Suggesting that might make the tech think about other ways to trouble-shoot (crack open the workshop manual).

What upgrades have you done to your bike? I mean engine-wise, like exhaust, intake (air filter), etc. When did the issue start or did it always have the issue? If always then I'd be more inclined to believe it being an ECU but if recently then I would not as computers typically work or don't.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@air cooled nut, I bought my sc1k around 1,4xx miles last year (around same time of year) from a guy in chicago. Im pretty sure that it has always done this but for a while I thought it was just the "Ducati Charm". I have put a 14t front sprocket, stripped the charcoal filter and drilled a few hole in the baffles. Thats it. The dealer adjusted the idle speed because it began dying when it was cold (has worked fine since) and he found and "corrected" a few exhaust leaks. I was thinking about ditching the stock ECU and swapping it with a DPECU (just waiting to find one on the cheap). Im out of DIY ideas.

Im thinking about contacting the guy I bought it from. He owned a few of them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts