Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Breaking in my new Hypermotard 950sp carefully the other day when for no reason I shifted down rather than up (3 to 2 rather than 3 to 4).
The engine made a sound I don’t want to think about or hear again.
Don’t know if it bounced off rev limiter or how high revs got.
Only had 300 miles on it when it happened.
Bike still runs.
I imagine if a valve kissed a piston that would have been made clear right away.
Has anyone else done this either on purpose or by accident; where there any issues afterwards?
Thanks All
Ride Safe

·
Registered
353 Posts
Don't worry about it. If you were keeping the RPMs below 8K during break in, a downshift would do no harm.

Solid bike and solid engine.

Enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Breaking in my new Hypermotard 950sp carefully the other day when for no reason I shifted down rather than up (3 to 2 rather than 3 to 4).
The engine made a sound I don’t want to think about or hear again.
Don’t know if it bounced off rev limiter or how high revs got.
Only had 300 miles on it when it happened.
Bike still runs.
I imagine if a valve kissed a piston that would have been made clear right away.
Has anyone else done this either on purpose or by accident; where there any issues afterwards?
Thanks All
Ride Safe

OH. MY. GOD!!!

Just kidding.. You're good. But I'd be freaking too.

Dave

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
nope ... you screwed it .... it's going to cost you exactly ONE BAZILLION DOLLARS to repair what you've done. see how you are? now your negligence will cost you ONE BAZILLION DOLLARS ... and the italian motorcycle gods will banish you to jap bike hell for all of eternity ... shunned you will be, dumass you are.

shame ...... Shame ...... SHAME!!!!

;) :p (nah .... you're fine).

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,834 Posts
The only time you would need to worry about what you did is if you were at max revs already when you went down a gear. In that case you would cause a mechanical overrev which the electronic rev limiter can’t prevent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,834 Posts
Man, you’ve made me remember my first few bikes. Back in the ‘70s and ‘80s bikes didn’t have rev limiters. I can remember being in the heat of battle (passing 18 wheelers on a two lane” where I’d forget to shift and have valves floating like crazy. Never blowed one up yet. :)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
... I can remember being in the heat of battle (passing 18 wheelers on a two lane” where I’d forget to shift and have valves floating like crazy.
... no surprise there .... i mean look at ya for chrissakes! a fekkin duck, playin a goddamed piano, wearing a helmet and a revolver on yer hip. what the hell man!! ... ~floated the valves~ ... yea i bet you did, ya freak!!!! friggin duck playin the piano .... WHO DOES THAT?!?!?!

:p :) :sneaky:

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Man, you’ve made me remember my first few bikes. Back in the ‘70s and ‘80s bikes didn’t have rev limiters. I can remember being in the heat of battle (passing 18 wheelers on a two lane” where I’d forget to shift and have valves floating like crazy. Never blowed one up yet. :)

True, but those bike were built a little "looser" than todays "every last horsepower" type machines.

Dave

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
What happened here-
Someone bump into something during manufacturing?
It’s the engine case (Hypermotard 950sp)where the liquid seal is supposed to have gone.
Clearly it hasn’t.
Getting to learn my new bikes ins’ and outs‘.
Ride Safe & Fun
.... looks like perhaps someone has been in there ... did a shit job of reassembly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
.... looks like perhaps someone has been in there ... did a shit job of reassembly.
Unfortunately this is a new bike-straight from factory.
Amazing how this got by quality assurance.
Maybe was during the virus pandemic when all Hell was raining down in Italy.
Word of advice to All- check out bike in DETAIL at dealership before purchase.

·
Registered
212 Posts
What happened here-
Someone bump into something during manufacturing?
It’s the engine case (Hypermotard 950sp)where the liquid seal is supposed to have gone.
Clearly it hasn’t.
Getting to learn my new bikes ins’ and outs‘.
Ride Safe & Fun
That right there happened on a Friday about 4:45 in the afternoon...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does anyone know how Ducati applies the liquid gasket material (engine case split)?
Is it robotically or by hand?
If it’s robotically can’t see how this was such a sloppy job.
Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Does anyone know how Ducati applies the liquid gasket material (engine case split)?
Is it robotically or by hand?
If it’s robotically can’t see how this was such a sloppy job.
Thanks
Does it matter? Its not easy to see by the naked eye and the bike runs and has no leaks. I'm pretty anal about my stuff, especially when im performing work myself but as I get older, my expectation of perfection has waned. Does it annoy me, yeah, it does, so I definitely understand where you're coming from but again, so long as it runs, things that arent SUPER apparent to the naked eye, don't bother me.

My wife's 2019 F type Jaguar has a piece of freakin black tape of some kind floating around inside of the passenger headlight. Something like that is a no go and should definitely be corrected by the dealer. For something like this, cut off the excess with an xacto knife and call it a day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does it matter? Its not easy to see by the naked eye and the bike runs and has no leaks. I'm pretty anal about my stuff, especially when im performing work myself but as I get older, my expectation of perfection has waned. Does it annoy me, yeah, it does, so I definitely understand where you're coming from but again, so long as it runs, things that arent SUPER apparent to the naked eye, don't bother me.

My wife's 2019 F type Jaguar has a piece of freakin black tape of some kind floating around inside of the passenger headlight. Something like that is a no go and should definitely be corrected by the dealer. For something like this, cut off the excess with an xacto knife and call it a day.
You are right on all fronts.
Bought bike to enjoy it- not to worry about it.
No leaks. Runs fine.
Went for a ride and had a couple of beers afterwards.
Life is Good.
Be Safe

1 - 20 of 25 Posts